Seisan 101.i

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Victor

Seisan 101.i

Post by Victor »

I hope I don’t offend my dear Doctor X, if I, an affirmed HERETIC being a non-Ueichi practioner, might make some observations on the applications of the opening of Seisan.

I have practiced (but only barely by any Ueichi standards) both of the versions your line of discussion mentioned. In that the Ueichi Seisan Long version parallels my Isshinryu version to some extent, I propose to start using it. Please excuse me if I accidentally commit Sanchin in the process.

1. Against the Attacker grabbing your left hand with his left hand (a cross hand grab)

One option I would suggest would be to step out with the left crescent step, then I would shift about 20 degrees to the right so my center line crosses across his arm at that degree as both hands swing out in the outer ‘blocks’. The left would roll over the attackers grabbing arm as the right thumb would strike under the arm into the upper chest.

While chambering I might accidentally again have my right thumb slash across his chest.
From the chamber I would suggest striking (slicing) across the individuals overturned triceps with the bottom of the right arm. I would suggest this would roll the attacker over from the slash across the arm.

Heck at that point I might use the right crescent step to sweep out the attackers leg.

2. Against the attacker reaching out to grab you with his right and punch you with his left

Once again I would shift about 20 degrees to the right so my center line crosses across his right arm. My left arm would slice out into the attackers right forearm while my right arm would slice out into the attackers punching left.
I would then effect a quick slicing shuto into the solar plexus while chambering the right hand.
Then I would slice out with the right shuto into the right side of the attacker’s neck.
Following this with another right outside haito strike to the attackers neck as I step forward sweeping their leg.

In the course of these applications, I propose I would be striking pressure points, however you must understand by my poor abilities, all pressure points have a 6" diameter.

Of course these are among the options I would also do with the Isshinryu Seisan.

Humbly submited,

------------------
Victor Smith
Victor

Seisan 101.i

Post by Victor »

My good Doctor "X",

"Blaphemer"? I've been called many things but never has anyone accused me of Blapheming, especially in public!"

I would only Blapheme in private!!!

BTWw for the Ueichi double strike you were referencing in Seisan 101, do you ever?

Attacker is throwing a right hook punch towards the head.

You shift 20 degrees (I have a thing for that), the left arm of the double stike could slice across the attackers punching arm biceps and strike the left thumb into the side of the neck (one of my 6" diameter pressure points) while the right hand is striking into the temple area with a right palm strike.

[Perhaps not a 100% fit, but close enough for me and my 6" diameter pressure points.

In a different vein, I see an attacker grabs my left shoulder with his right, to punch with his left.

I turn 90 degrees to the left and use the left arm's motion of the double strike to roll the attackers arm clockwise (from my perspective), with the right arm going on top to temporarily support the lock of the arm. Then I see the following descending right palm strike as a 'dislocate' or 'break' of the attackers arm, depending on the manner which the move is set in.

Just thought I'd try stirring the pot a little more.

------------------
Victor Smith
Victor

Seisan 101.i

Post by Victor »

I confess, my good Doctor "X" that I believest thou to be a Puritin.

Confess to the base SIN of Stepping off the Line of Attack, with my Mortal Soul dangling above the FIERY PIT, not I, being a REFORMED EVANGELICAL ISSHINRYU!

We do not hide our children, but stand them directly in front of the LINE OF ATTACK and they learn first hand the wisdom of Getting out of the way!

To my demented mind, the most useful applications (read Bunkai) often are found by looking outside of the 'Standard' Hymnal.

Feel free to browse through my website at www.funkydragon.com/bushi/index3.html , You'll find I have a lot of information on how I approach the bunkai of Seisan kata, some of which might be of interest for the Ueichi stylist.

With Joyous Jest,

BTW, this last weekend while working on Eagle Claw's basic principles, we found that they are practiced on the straight line, but the clawing (grabing) technique moved the attackers line of attack, so the straight line response actually crossed on the 20 degrees I'm so fond of. Just another thought.
Mary S

Seisan 101.i

Post by Mary S »

Okay guys, now that you've gotten that out of your system.....blaph, blaph, blaph...

JD you say that you do not like to block you're opponent's hands down to your belt level.

I agree with your thoughts on this move...I consider the initial movement to be a deflection...simply a way to get the attacker's hands/arms out of the way and to move him/her into your strike zone. I don't usually think of that beginning block as a strike (although I know to a certain degree it is).

To me it seems a bit of a waste of energy to block someone all the way to the ground (unless that's all you are going to do) but, I think if you want to deliver a follow up move/strike sometimes all you need is a simple deflection to move your attacker.

I can remember as a green belt doing kanshiwa bunkai one night at another dojo with a nidan. I was the first attacker and when I fired in the first punch I ended up half-way across the dojo. I never felt the block and it didn't hurt me at all. The defender simply redirected my body momentum so smoothly there was no need for him to waste the punch on me (and I'm still thankful about that to this day!)

Just another $0.02. Mary

------------------

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”