Winterfest

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gjkhoury

Winterfest

Post by gjkhoury »

Dear Raffi:

Thank you for the kind words, pal. I want to echo your sentiments and would LOVE to go on and on about how GREAT you were, but I'm afraid people would think we were DATING in Florida and not just rooming together!

Folks, DO NOT miss another camp -- be it Winter or Summer. The level of participation and instruction continues to rise, thanks mostly to top-rate martial artists like Raffi.

As for me, it's back to the drawing board after being shaken up physically and psychologically in Van-sensei's kata clinic and in Raffi's weapons seminars. Just when you think you're on your way to figuring things out, guys like Raffi and Van are there to redefine excellence.

To all of the instructors and participants at Winterfest 2000: THANK YOU AGAIN! OSU!

Keep training!

Gary
Raffi Derderian

Winterfest

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Hello to everyone.
I know this probably belongs on the Seminars forum. As Bill's is one of the most popular forums I wanted to post this here. Hope nobody minds.
This weekend was probably the finest one I have ever had with my Uechi brothers and sisters. You guys who were not able to attend truly missed out on an incredible learning experience.
George Sensei,
Thank you for the opportunity to share this weekend with you. You are truly an inspiration and each time I interact with you I grow as a person as well as a martial artist. Loved those stories of the old days over dinner!
Van Sensei,
One hour of the torture chamber was a complete "kata wake up call". You made me a believer in kata as a true benefit to fighting applications. My aching shouders don't forgive you, though.
It was awesome that we got to know each other this weekend beyond the martial arts level. Your integrity, honesty, and great personality are undeniable. It was such an honor even to be teaching on the same floor with you, let alone socializing. Thank you also for all of the great teaching one liners that I am "stealing" to use in my classes.
Gary Sensei,
Folks, for 2 or 3 years Gary and I have expressed to each other how we never get to take each others seminars at Summercamp. This weekend, I truly got to appreciate the talent and person of Gary Khoury. We roomed together and were up until 3am in the morning the first night talking and realizing how much we agreed upon in the world of Uechi and martial arts in general. The best part of this weekend was the seed of a new friendship was planted and I hope we will see it grow.
Folks, if you have not taken Gary's sparring seminars before, please do. He makes sparring seem simple with his way of packaging it. I even plan on applying this method to my seminars and I know they will be even better.
Let me say something else. We all think of Gary as "the sparring guy", don't we? Well, let me tell you, he has so much more depth than just that. His kata is incredible. Fast, strong, and clean. We should all have half the kata skill of Gary Sensei. During my Thai Boxing seminar I held the pads for Gary and his roundhouse kicks were among the hardest I have ever felt. His punches and knees were rather nasty also.
Lori Sensei and Anthony and all of the others at camp:
You guys were every bit as wonderful and talented as I expected. It was a pleasure and honor to meet and work with you all. Keep up the good work.
Raffi Derderian

[This message has been edited by Raffi Derderian (edited January 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Raffi Derderian (edited January 25, 2000).]
Bill Glasheen

Winterfest

Post by Bill Glasheen »

It's good to hear from both Gary and Raffi. The quality of their instruction and their personae is no mystery to me. Glad to hear they got the chance to bump elbows a bit ;-)

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”