Jeet Kune Do

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Dare Lee

Jeet Kune Do

Post by Dare Lee »

Hi, my name is Darren Lee.
I am a student of Jeet Kune Do.
JKD, which any martial artist may know, was founded by Bruce Lee.
With the same last name and many simularities, Bruce became a big influence in getting me into martial arts.
Many believe that Bruce Lee was the greatest martial artist of all time. But while surfing many martial arts sites and this forum, I noticed that there is very little mentioning of Jeet Kune Do. So I was wondering why it is somewhat hard to come across anything on Jeet Kune Do? And to any martial artist out there, what do you think about JKD, or even Bruce Lee?

------------------
Insight is realizing that one's original nature is not created.

[This message has been edited by Dare Lee (edited February 08, 2000).]
david

Jeet Kune Do

Post by david »

Hi Darren,

I bump into a lot of JKD concept folks in Bladeforums and Knifeforums. Thaddeus, one of the moderators over at knifeforums, is a JKD guy. However, going to med school and working as bouncer have curtailed his prescence.

JKD guys can also be found in some of the grappling and submission forums. Come to think of it, JKD folks can be found in many different martial arts related sites since they are into this, into that... Image

Yeah, I second what J.D said.

david
Dare Lee

Jeet Kune Do

Post by Dare Lee »

Thank you.
I immensely appreciate your words Doctor X.
You must truly be a student of wisdom.

There is "what is" only when there is no comparing and to live with "what is" is to be peaceful.

------------------
Insight is realizing that one's original nature is not created.
gmattson
Site Admin

Jeet Kune Do

Post by gmattson »

Mr. Lee:
Check the 'Cross training' forum. Quite a few of this group have practiced JKD.

We invite any martial artist to participate in our forums. Hopefully you will become a regular.

Regards,
George Mattson
student

Jeet Kune Do

Post by student »

Darren:

As another gentile straying among the chosen (actually, since I study a Korean art, I should be one of the Chosun People; but I digress), let me state that I have found the regulars welcome anyone's intelligent contributions and experience. Jump on in, cousin, the water's fine.

Sigh. Just finished training for today - but there's tomorrow....

student

[This message has been edited by student (edited February 08, 2000).]
david

Jeet Kune Do

Post by david »

Darren,

Whoa, realize that I was remiss in not mentioning Raffi Derderian sensei as a JKD practitioner/instructor. Raffi frequents these forums and offers a bridge from Uechi to other arts.

david
Bill Glasheen

Jeet Kune Do

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Darren

Part of the philosophy of Bruce Lee may be the reason why there aren't a lot of JKD sites, and JKD people are scattered to the wind. Bruce Lee was the consumate "contrary" in his day. He poked at the classical styles. So to enshrine a style about him and establish a strong organization with history and dogma and routines is to create the very "classical mess" that he eschewed. Catch 22!

As a musician friend of mine once said, "What do you call alternative music when it becomes mainstream?"

Thus many JKD folks meander from site to site, 'picking up what is useful.'

We'd love to have you, Darren. I think you'll find a comfortable place to share your views. The style Bruce got most of his ideas from - Wing Chun - is a Chinese cousin of our very own style. We both share a love of economy of movement, emphasis on hand techniques, whole-body power, and a focus on what really works.

And my JKD friend, Mr. Raffi Dierderian, will show up on-line now and then. We get him to our school quarterly. I'm sure he'll add his 2 cents when the topic gets interesting.

Welcome!

- Bill
Gilbert MacIntyre

Jeet Kune Do

Post by Gilbert MacIntyre »

Darren:
If you had visited this site last month you would have been greeted by a picture of Bruce Lee. It came from an interview and in the picture just behind Bruce's left shoulder you could see a copy of Sensai Mattson's first book "The Way Of Karate". This being the first book written by someone from the west,dealing with karate, Bruce saw the importance of it and added it to his library. So I guess in visiting the site you are still following in your founder's footsteps.

One observation...ever notice how we all address each other as _____ sensai, or ____-san, but I don't think I've heard anybody call him anything but Bruce.
Gilbert MacIntyre

Jeet Kune Do

Post by Gilbert MacIntyre »

Darren:
If you had visited this site last month you would have been greeted by a picture of Bruce Lee. It came from an interview and in the picture just behind Bruce's left shoulder you could see a copy of Sensai Mattson's first book "The Way Of Karate". This being the first book written by someone from the west,dealing with karate, Bruce saw the importance of it and added it to his library. So I guess in visiting the site you are still following in your founder's footsteps.

One observation...ever notice how we all address each other as _____ sensai, or ____-san, but I don't think I've heard anybody call him anything but Bruce.
Scaramouche

Jeet Kune Do

Post by Scaramouche »

Hello Dare,

there are actually several JKD related sites out there. Tim Mousel has a very good forum that has been around for a long time. Progressive Fighting Systems has a good JKD related forum, and there are at least a couple of others I have links to. E-mail me if you want me to give you a few links.

These Uechi forums are really high quality. If you look beyond style (which is what JKD is about, in some ways) and look at ideas, this is a good place to ask questions and engage in discussion. One can also disagree here, but as long as you are polite, there are seldom problems, and often disagreement can lead to great discussions.

While Bruce Lee clearly founded and taught his own fighting style, he also cross-trained a great deal, and had many friends and training partners from a wide variety of styles. This is a good place to "cross train" on an intellectual level.

BTW, I'd disagree with the claim that Lee got "most of his ideas" from Wing Chun. While that style was a major influence, western boxing, and, especially, western fencing, also very strongly influenced his martial methods. There is even a long quote in the Tao of JKD where Lee says that his fighting style is basically "fencing without a sword." Anyone who has studied both fencing and Bruce Lee's fighting method will see strong similarites.

For example, the stance Bruce Lee's fighting method uses is a modified fencing stance. The "step and slide" used in the footwork comes from fencing. "Interception" in "The Way of the Intercepting Fist" comes from fencing, where it is of major importance, and is known both as "interception" and as the "stop hit."

Scaramouche
student

Jeet Kune Do

Post by student »

Uh, J. D.:

The Japanese for Seventh is - ah -

Shee!-CHI!

student
gdonahue

Jeet Kune Do

Post by gdonahue »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gilbert MacIntyre:

Darren:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the opportunity to browse through Bruce Lee's personal library when I was in Boise, Idaho, where Linda Lee Cadwell now makes her home, last winter. I looked through this very copy of George Mattson's book. Bruce Lee had underlined material throughout and had written notes in the margins of many pages. So... I guess you can safely say that Uechi Ryu is one of the sources of "what is useful" that Bruce Lee gathered to make Jeet Kune Do.

I'm rather pleased with that thought, even though I'm not a Uechi Ryu practitioner. Small world, eh?

------------------
George
Nana korobi, ya oki.
gjkhoury

Jeet Kune Do

Post by gjkhoury »

Hey, Raff, Darren:

Isn't it true that many JKD guys are super-protective of the concepts, even "secretive" to a degree?

A JKD buddy of mine told me his instructor was pissed at him because he taught me how to do the "straight blast".

Any truth to this? Or might this be an explanation why JKD is not so prominently featured on the web?

Just a few questions from another myopic Uechika.

Keep training!

Gary
Raffi Derderian

Jeet Kune Do

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Hi Darren,
It is nice to welcome a fellow JKD practitioner to the site. You will find this site has perhaps the finest quality of people contributing to it. Everyone is respectful and more importatly, open minded.
Who do you study with? Where are you located? How long have you studied?
Feel free to e mail me if you don't wish to publicly post private info. Xraff@aol.com
Looking forward to your input on these boards.
Raf
Scott Danziger

Jeet Kune Do

Post by Scott Danziger »

Here are a few JKD sites I have came across listed right here on the Uechi Hotlist. I'm sure if I went looking specificaly for them I'd find more.

<a href="http://www.xpres.net/~gmattson/cgi-bin/ ... .html">JKD Sites</a>

BTW: Raffi's site was moved to the Uechi catagory.

If anybody knows of other sites (of quality please) let me know and I'll get it into the hotlist.

Scott

------------------
The Uechi-Ryu.Com Hotlist
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show
Martial Arts Of Long Island

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”