Sparring with sanchin stance (or not)

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Gary Santaniello

Post by Gary Santaniello »

I tend to agree with Paul G. here in that many people use the basic structure of "Sanchin" in sparring. I myself have many times found myself there.

In the Brockton dojo i recall we use to work on fighting from Sanchin stance. Try it sometime. It may not feel reaL comfortable at first but there are times when i use it and feel very good in that position. Surely there may be some slight deviation from the "exact" foot positioning, but the centering is there and the frontal squaring is present allowing one to feel comfortable with all four quadrents. (preference)

One may "transistion" from stances as the fight or opponent changes up. Fighting stance, sanchin, cat stance. Whatever fits the moment. It all works.

Defensive or offensive someone ask ? It depends upon you ! Not for everyone, thats o.k.

------------------
Gary S.
bill

Post by bill »

Sensei Glasheen,

Wow! great response, it helps alot.

Thanks.
BILLY B

Post by BILLY B »

"Forget about fancy horse stances, of "moving the horse," fancy forms, pressure, locking, etc. All these will promote your mechanical aspects rather than help you. You will be bound by these unatural rhythmic messes, and when you are in combat it is broken rhythm and timing you have to adjust to. The opponent is not going to do things rhythmically with you as you would do in practicing a kata alone or with a partner" (BRUCE LEE'S COMMENTARIES ON THE MARTIAL WAY, pg 183)

What does this say about sanchin? Sparring? Mobility?

BTW, there is a picture in this book on pg 287 of Bruce Lee sparring with Uechi-ryu's own Jim Maloney at the old Mattson Academy. Lee is throwing a back spining hook kick, and Maloney is avoiding it by leaning back in a HORSE STANCE.

Any Seniors out there remember this match? How did Mr. Maloney and Uechi-ryu stack up against Mr. Lee?
Gilbert MacIntyre

Post by Gilbert MacIntyre »

I studied with Sensai Malony in the early 80's, he had this picture in his dojo. He had a great story that went with it, you know on how the shot(picture) came to be, the conversation between the two. Best for Sensai Maloney to pass it on though.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”