Sparring with sanchin stance (or not)

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

In another thread, Anthony wrote <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
How come I never see anyone in Sanchin when they are doing Kumite?
I think this is both very observant and a darned good question. I have strong opinions about this one. But first....I'll throw it to the audience.

- Bill
maurice richard libby

Post by maurice richard libby »

When I was training with David Mott, we sparred in a stance that was similar to Bruce Lee's sparring stance. It was basically sanchin with the heel of the back foot raised.

Just thought you'd like to know.

maurice

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
Ronin at large
gjkhoury

Post by gjkhoury »

Dear Bill et., al.

Ah, you never disappoint, my friend! I picked up this "right-on-the-money" question myself and waited for you to bring it to life in its own separate post. Viola!

I, too, have my opinions regarding the sanching stance and other Uechi "staples" vs. their real life usefulness.

Let me whet appetites by asking readers to think form before function. That is the road of all true classical artists, martial and otherwise!

Really interested to see where this thread leads!

Keep training!

Gary
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

I have always heard the saying that Uechi was designed for fighting in a phone booth. Uechi is an up close and personal style. Roy Bedard noted on Van Sensei's forum that human nature will have us square up when challenged up close. Up close and personal Sanchin is the stance you want to be in. It is, when not done as a statue, a mobile stance that can pivot from right to left in the blink of an eye. It puts all your weapons right up front. Personally I have my hands higher and closer than a formal Sanchin, but the practise of the formal position is what makes them strong.

So why is it that such a great self defense stance is not seen much in sparring? What distance is sparring started at and most often fought at? Far away. Once they close, if the action continued, you will see more Sanchin.

Opening your centre line while far away takes a person of the skill level of David Mott Sensei to pull off. Most of us are not at that level and therefore we take a safer approach until we get close.

Rick
david

Post by david »

I think fighting from sanchin, you offering 4 quatrants to the opponent. You can be fast and skilled and have all four quatrants protected. You can be well conditioned and believe you can take shots to lower quatrants but protect the groin.

Me... I am not skilled enough to protect all for quatrants. I turn sideways a slight bit and my stance is more of a modified sanchin. In this presentation, I have to only worry about protecting left top and lower quatrants and my groin is out of the way from a straight strike.

Rick makes a good point though. Once you are in close engagement, you naturally square up.

Maurice, the stand you described is one also taken up by a lot Filipino Martial Artists. I don't about Mott sensei, but Lee definitely was influenced there.

david
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

What a great topic!

I think that Anthony says has incredible merit to it. Sanchin is form. Does it mean that we take Sanchin literally in everything that we do? I don't think so. Sometimes its just giving us the right direction in which to go. I think that is the case when it comes to sparring. I believe in a more traditional fighting stance when I spar, because I think it tends to offer the flexibity, mobility, and protection that we crave when we fight. At most of our levels out there, can we truly say that our Sanchin stance does that for us? For me personally, not yet.

The other factor I would emphasize is that Uechi-ryu and sparring have different philosophies sometimes. Uechi-ryu/Shohei is a in-close fighting system, and a counter-attack system. We practice and train for hours on end with our kata, bunkai, etc. to learn how to defend ourselves in the event we are attacked. I seen many of you spar out there, and I don't remember seeing a tremendous amount of "waiting to be attacked in order to counter" type movements out there. Many of you are extremely adept at taking the offense. With that said, why would you want to take a defensive stance like Sanchin and spar with it?

Yours in Budo,

mike
Adam

Post by Adam »

For Tony...
You were talking about being in sanchin while not being in the physical position of sanchin. I'm guessing that you are talking about mental state, but could you please explain in a bit more detail (if you can) what you meant?

Adam
The lowly white belt
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

This thread went far pretty fast. That says a lot about the people that frequent the forum.

I do not want to appear to be giving definitive "answers" here. I think this is a simple question with an array of answers, depending on what your focus is when you train. Mostly people have touched on the major points.

Form

Yes, Gary, I think I know what you meant. And I think Anthony and Mike have addressed this.

Ever tried to teach sanchin to kids ages 5-9? For 14 years I was "spoiled" at UVa by teaching large groups of 18-26 year-old bright men and women. OK, so I give myself credit for communicating on a high level to people who can challenge you. But what might be obvious or "taken on faith" by bright, academically-oriented people in their physical prime might not be so outside this artificial bubble in the population. Young kids are fairly concrete. And they want answers - now! Yes, I try to teach them the value of setting long-term goals and appreciating a discipline of any type. But that's not good enough. And....it made me a better teacher.

Most of these kids are beginning to read and write, and beginning to play instruments. "How do you begin to read" I ask them? Well....there's the alphabet....and there is the sounding of the letters....and there is phonics for teaching the sounds of groups of letters... "What does your music teacher have you do to learn to play your instrument?" Well...there are scales and other such music rountines. And yes...the teacher tells us that even the advanced concert pianists go back to basics and drill those scales. But then when they go on stage, they bring Mozart to life.

"It's the alphabet of karate" I tell them. "It's the scales you must practice to perfect your playing. And you take all these pieces and parts and do what you will with them to create what you want when it is time."

One of the more enlightening things I have done in my cross training is to perfect the free-weight squat. I truly believe that no other weight exercise gives so much to people of almost any sport. And...many of the things I must do to perfect that seemingly simple but always challenging exercise involve principles of posture and muscle synergy that sanchin taught me. And so they feed on each other. And then my body knows the lesson. Forever. In many other venues.

Form vs. Function

And then it comes time to put it all to application. So...what do we do with all these ingrained lessons? Well...it depends on what the venue is. I think Rick and David touched on this.

Going to fight in a tournament? What are the rules? Do they allow grabbing? Do they allow leg kicking? Do they give extra points for kicks to the head (or not)? Do they allow hand techniques to the head? Groin kicks? Do they allow throws? Do they allow leg kicks? Knee kicks? By what criteria do they judge the winner? Points? If so, what gets a point? Judgement by round? If so, what criteria do the judges use?

Take a look at our economy, and what vehicles people drive.

* There was the roaring sixties where size and power was everything, and gas was cheap as hell. That was the era of the muscle cars: Mustang, Camero, Challenger, etc, etc. They couldn't do squat around a corner, but man could they lay rubber! The chicks (pardon my sexism) dug it (or so we thought).

* Then came the oil cartel and the price of gas skyrocketed. There were long lines at the gas station, and we could only buy on odd or even days. Engineers brought cars in the windtunnels, re-thought the whole design in an effort to trim excess weight, and did research on materials. Chrome disappeared. All cars started taking on the same bubble shape. Cars switched from rear to front wheel drive, and engines were turned sideways. More plastic was used in the bumpers. Fancy hood ornaments and door handles gave way to subtle accents.

* Then came the booming nineties. The baby boomers (the big buldge in the population) are in their peak earning years and have kids to cart around. Gas has become cheap again. So...we have an emphasis on safety. Newton's laws tell us that size is safety. So there are the Jeep Wranglers and Ford Explorers. And then you see the Ford Expeditions and the Chevy Suburbans. And there are even bigger SUVs coming out now. And there is a seat with seat belt for each and every passenger, which adds to the general size. Yea...try driving a Honda Civic in MY suburban neighborhood. Good luck, and don't stop suddenly.

And so it is with sparring. Look at the rules in the All Okinawa Tournament, and look at the stances. Look at the rules in a Taequondo tournament, and look at the stances. Look at the rules in WKF, and look at the stances. Look at the rules in UFC (yes, there are rules and the venue is still artificial) and look at the stances.

And of course these stances do vary depending on the stage (and distance) of the fight. I don't mean to oversimplify, but you get the point.

And then there is "real" fighting...

So...where are you when someone gives you an offer for free plastic surgery? Most likely in a bar with tables, chairs, etc. around you. And how are the two of you oriented?

So...where are you when someone puts a Glock in your back and tells you to move on in to another location? What does your terrified body naturally do (other than soil your precious karate underwear)?

And...screw all this self-serving crap about how grappling is king because of the UFC. Have any of these boasters been in real danger? Most of these braggard punks have "tested" themselves where they are the predators. They control the venue. And then...there is the day where real danger comes upon you. No...it's not likely to be one-on-one. Damn, you say, what are the others going to do when I take this one guy down? If they know what they are doing, you are dogmeat when you "go to the mat." And if they know what they are doing, they won't all face you from the same direction (This is why we do many-on-one sparring in my dojo).

And being a real victim in a situation you didn't control probably means they are prepared (with numbers and/or superior firepower) to finish this very quickly. You will need to do something very fast, and move very quickly. And you will need to do it in a manner that doesn't show your hand so you have at least some element of surprise. Subtle postures... Subtle shifts to positions of advantage...

I could go on and on.

And so where should we start in our training?

Well...it depends a lot on why you are in the martial arts. But there are a few approaches that touch all bases pretty well.

- Bill
maurice richard libby

Post by maurice richard libby »

david,

as a matter of fact, there was a Kali class that used the dojo on off days. I don't know if there was a connection.

maurice

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
Ronin at large
Gilbert MacIntyre

Post by Gilbert MacIntyre »

Interesting thread:
I also compare the learning of Sanchin to someone learning the scales in starting to learn how to play an instrument. Everybody wants to fly into a beautiful flamenco tune right off the mark, but we know nothing comes out but noise. It takes practice on the scales to teach us how to advance. Sanchin is the same AT FIRST. We must train in sanchin, always, so we will be able to improve. We mustn't be robotic in sparring, trying to stay in sanchin, it isn't realistic. However I find now I spend about 3 hours a week on body conditioning, and with that and my understanding of the style at this point, I can use more sanchin in sparring. I get to actually investigate the strength of the stance in moving in quickly for a front kick, or how the position of the elbows allows me to take punishing kicks from my opponents. We have in our dojo a student about 25 years old, 6'5", 200lbs. This guy was given a gift from the spirit of masters past when it come to kicking. There are not alot of people who want to hold the kicking pads for him as the pads simply don't help. I overheard him say to the head instructor, after he and I had put in a few rounds, that he had never run into anyone who couldn't be moved when he kicked them. Sanchin is something I am bringing more and more to my sparring, and I find I am more at home with it and stronger because of it. It's nice to have a ready supply of young guns trying to make a name to push you, also it's nice to have to years of training by those who cared enough to pass on a truly beutiful style. Since we're on sparring I must say the thing I really love that Uechi has given me is the ability to block. As I age I learn more and more about this aspect of our style. There is nothing like the look in an opponent's eye when they are sending in their best and you completely devastate them with a block. Sanchin has given me the confidence that comes with being able to fight calmly, but it takes years of sparring to incorporate it.
paul giella

Post by paul giella »

Sanchin stance as "deep background", as Harvey Liebergott has phrased it... I'm with the school of thought that says you don't have to be in a literal, classroom stance to effect all of the principals of sanchin. Lookes at this way, I would say that many, many Uechi-ka use the sanchin stance in fighting.
bill

Post by bill »

So Sanchin is a defensive stance? Do offensive "stances" exist in Uechi kata? What
about the horse stance in seisan and the many
more horse stances in san sei ru kata? Are they "offensive"?
In my training, assuming I have already learned how to use my sanchin stance and tools of impact etc., how do I go about learning how to "close the gap" or get to a tactical position where my sanchin stance/techniques will be useful? Does kumite accomplish this?
Rose sensei commented in a recent thread about a seminar he attended. He said that the teachers at this seminar had great skills but more inportantly "could get there to apply them"( also roughly paraphrased). Maybe he can help me?

-"men go crazy in congregation, they only get better one by one"-
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Bill

First of all, I'd like to perform an administrative function. Could you possibly pick a name a little longer (or slightly different) than "Bill"? There are quite a few out there. And I was even wondering if I had made this post. Now...onto the topic.

I do not share the view that sanchin is only a defensive stance. I think it can be both. My opinion.

- Bill (Glasheen)
bill

Post by bill »

Sensei Glasheen,

I am sorry for the confusion. I will use "cementhead" because I feel that way sometimes after reading Dr. X's posts. Do I just re-register, or is there a way to change the username only?
Thanks for your reply. I don't think I phrased my question correctly. Sanchin feels powerfully offensive to me, but I do not feel I have enough mobility with it. I wanted to ask if anyone could suggest a drill that teaches mobility, or if they think the traditional drills (kata, kumite etc.) will eventually get me there. Sanchin is close-range. What do you do when the opponent is outside that range, but you still need to "finnish" the fight before he does?
Question #2 what are the horse stances for?
Thanks again!
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Bill

No need to be so self-deprecating.

First of all, best way to change the name is to re-register. But get on Tony's forum and ask for advice. He'll help you tidy things up afterwards. And as to your use of the name "Bill", no offense taken. It's a good name ;-)

As the old Rosanna Rosannadanna used to say on Saturday Night Live, "You sure ask a lot of questions!" And good ones...with long answers. I'll try to be succinct. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
I wanted to ask if anyone could suggest a drill that teaches mobility, or if they think the traditional drills (kata, kumite etc.) will eventually get me there.
I can suggest several places where you can work on this.

* First, check on page 121 of George Mattson's Uechiryu Karatedo. There's a nice, simple exercise there that suggests many options in movement.

* Second, master the three tenshin sequences in the hojoundo.

* Yes, kata does help in teaching movement.

* When you do your prearranged kumite, experiment with doing more than just moving straight forward and backwards. As an example, one can zig-zag in the defensive sequences on the first three (of five) patterns in kyu kumite. And when doing cross blocks, one can either stand one's ground, or choose to slide in a direction that is with the roundhouse kicks.

These are good starts. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
Sanchin is close-range. What do you do when the opponent is outside that range, but you still need to "finnish" the fight before he does?
Ahhhh... I wish you were in my dojo. We work a lot on these skills. I imagine if you come to camp and take Gary's sparring sessions, that he might also work on these.

There is definitely an art to moving into range. The most imortant thing to remember is - to steal a phrase from George Mattson - do not lead with your nose. In other words, you need to time the first attack with the forward movement of the body so you simultaneously create a problem for the defender as you close the gap and you use the energy of the forward movement in the attack. This is easier said than done; a good teacher can teach this, but it requires that you have good rhythm.

Or...you can wait for the opponent to attack and then adjust the distance to your liking. If you are not particularly quick, this is a good second option. However it requires impeccable timing and good, programmed reactions. Having one or two leading techniques to respond with as the opponent moves in (like a reverse punch or a front leg front kick) is a good idea. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
what are the horse stances for?
In general Uechi ryu teaches us to avoid deep stances until you need them. The kata give specific applications where one can benefit from deep stances without putting one's legs or groin at risk for counterattack. Generally they show them to be temporary postures that are applied at close range, particularly when the opponent's leg can be checked. Sometimes they are part of an explosive movement forward, offering the attacker longer and/or more powerful forward movement. They can also be thought of as postures that can be used in hip throws. Aother application is for leg grabs, where you have control of the opponent's center. And as an aside, it affords the practioner some vertical degree of freedom of movement.

Hope that helps.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”