The coffee "connection"

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

The coffee "connection"

Post by Van Canna »

Hey, JD/Tony__now hear this:

Coffee /caffeine consumption releases stress hormones, brings on a state of hypoglycemia, produces anxiety, raises blood pressure, causes palpitations, nervousness, irritability, and depression!

And then……it constricts blood vessels impairing your ability to have sustained E *** s!

On the flip side it has been said that hot chocolate is an Aphrodisiac! [Any caffeine in it?]

I guess it puts a different slant on the expression: “ Coffee, tea, or me”, eh!

What was that brand you guys use?

------------------
Van Canna
Mary S

The coffee "connection"

Post by Mary S »

sigh....once again the women-folk are excluded Image
Bill Glasheen

The coffee "connection"

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Van

Caffeine has been one of my hobby subjects, particularly as it is a mild stimulator of the sympathetic nervous system - something I grew familiar with in graduate school and dissertation. Yes, it causes all of the above, but not at a rate where most need worry. Methamphetamine on the other hand...

I believe the ingredient you speak of in chocolate is an alkaloid (as is caffeine), and the effect does not occur in all. The propensity to respond is a genetically-inherited trait. So some "get it", whereas others do not. Yes, there is a little bit of caffeine in chocolate, but that is a separate compound with a more predicitable effect.

Best way to counter the "effect" of caffeine is a single glass of wine. But Shakespeare had words about those who imbibed to an excess...

- Bill
David Elkins

The coffee "connection"

Post by David Elkins »

Coffee is our friend.

"UGGHHHH FRIEND" - creature to blind shepherd, Frankenstein.

As we speak it is mobilizing my bum to the dojo when otherwise it would have been quite content to remain in front of the computer.

------------------
Good Training,

David
Uechi Ryu West

[This message has been edited by David Elkins (edited February 23, 2000).]
student

The coffee "connection"

Post by student »

Thus an IRISH M*O*C*H*A Coffee truly is God's Blessing....

And while on the subject of Uisque-baugh (Irish Whiskey) it is my long held belief that the Irish, bless 'em, got it wrong when they labeled the spirits as the Waters of Life.

Undoubtedly they are the Waters Of Conviviality, Waters Of Impaired Judgment, Waters Making What Had Earlier Been 3's Metamorphasize Before Your Eyes into 10's, Waters Of Making You Act So Stupidly You Find Out If All Your Martial Training Had Been Worth a Damn!, Waters of Wondering Where The Hell That Left Hook Came From?, Waters of Excessive Silliness - but not Waters of Life.

Beverages bearing Caffiene and/or Theobromide: aaah, those are the Waters Of Life!

Sipping Image mocha,

student

[This message has been edited by student (edited February 23, 2000).]
Mary S

The coffee "connection"

Post by Mary S »

Faith and begorrah....to quote an old commercial..."and I like it too"
student

The coffee "connection"

Post by student »

And how do feel about coffee, Mary-San?
Jackie Olsen

The coffee "connection"

Post by Jackie Olsen »

After 8 years of not drinking coffee, I've started to drink one or two cups a day. I find that I experience a small euphoria with the brain matter ... translation: it really does wake my brain up quicker than bee pollen, spirulina, gingko and all the other herbs & vitamins I partake.

Anyone ... there was an article in a recent herbal mag (you know, the kind you get free at the health food store) that said coffee (1-3cups/day) is GOOD for you ... stimulates the brain matter and detoxes the liver. Any truth to this?

I'm very partial to "gourmet" coffee -- French vanilla, hazelnut cream or irish cream. Of course, some say that really isn't coffee!

Jackie
Shelly King

The coffee "connection"

Post by Shelly King »

I just can't understand your fascination with coffee....caffeine yes, oh sweet nectar of the gods....but coffee Image
Mary S

The coffee "connection"

Post by Mary S »

Why, Student...I’m impressed. A litte double entendre (or at least an attempt at one). Image I, for one, was talking of coffee...if you are implying something other, perhaps you could make your meaning clearer...I would hate for there to be any misconceptions “brewed” as a result of me missing a good insinuation... Image
Gilbert MacIntyre

The coffee "connection"

Post by Gilbert MacIntyre »

I rise at 6:00 AM every morning. BIG breakfast and 3 cups of coffee, while I read the morning paper. Actually I thought it was a natural laxative.

I like the beans to be dark strong and greasy. I grind just before making the brew and put in 1 heaping tablespoon per cup.

Don't touch the stuff again until the next morning.
Bill Glasheen

The coffee "connection"

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I joined Shelly's camp some years back when the darn mocha started rotting my stomach out. That and the fact that I had coffee stains all over my white shirt and papers and my teeth and coffee bad breath and...and..

I like my Diet Mountain Dew - my nectar of the gods. Still can't figure out why all the Dew commercials only show wild kids doing extreme things. But then again...

student

God created whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world. BTW, I can say that with my Irish heritage (and name)....

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

The coffee "connection"

Post by Bill Glasheen »

When I got my undergraduate degree in applied mathematics, I was told that my degree endowed me with the ability to turn caffeine into theorems.
Bill Glasheen

The coffee "connection"

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Gilbert <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
Actually I thought it was a natural laxative.
Shinjo Kiyohide told me a story one time about a certain embarrassing situation he observed. From it, one could conclude that a good sanchin test would perform the same function.

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited February 24, 2000).]
lori macleod-doyle

The coffee "connection"

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

Bill-San,
It is my understanding that Mountain Dew is one of the most highly caffinated beverages out there. That is why their commercials show people involved in all manner of extreme activities.
They are sooo hyped on caffine they can't stand still!
By the way, I am a serious coffee addict! Can't imagion my day without it. And I'm sure my co-workers wouldn't want to be around if I couldn't have it.

Lori M-D

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”