The eighth square and other number issues

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

The last topic got so long that the software started paging. Best to re-initiate the thread.

Paul

Actually...there are 108 steps to enightenment in the Buddhist religion, and 108 steps up the hill to a Buddhist shrine. That is where the kata name suparinpei comes from. And all the other numbers that we commonly see as multiples of such (3, 13, 36) also come from said religion and culture. To some extent, it is a cultural as opposed to martial thing.

- Bill
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Thnks for the correction. I think I initially read that about Buddhist temples in an article about suparinpei.
BILLY B

Post by BILLY B »

Sensei Glasheen,

Ok, ok I believe you! Great information with factual data that is hard to argue against.(the femoral arterie thing) And what I like about the post is after you "rupture" my bubble you give me some practical advise on what CAN be done to the femoral area. THAT IS HOW PROGRESS IS MADE! Thanks.

Paul and Bill,

I did not know about the 108 steps to the temple, very interesting though. I hear thats what the old Mattson Academy was like. (third floor) Image
Tim Ahearn

Post by Tim Ahearn »

I'm a big fan of the "36 and 108 come from Buddhism and the steps to enlightenment" theory. But clearly kata are or can be/should be related to pressure points and in many areas one can find statements like this: "In this book only 36 of the 108 commonly attacked cavities will be listed...[these] are the ones more easily accesible to attack." (Jwing-ming's "Shaolin Chin Na"). I would say that Buddhism, martial arts and pressure points are all entertwined and the "origin" of the numerical systems is not one but all because they developed together.

As far as not wasting moves in Bunkai, here's one I think absolutely should be included (carefully) in Seisan Bunkai: knee the face, which is done with the right hand still in sanchin position. As you bend or crunch, you chamber. "Chamber" your right elbow directly into the spine just below the base of the skull. I think in most cases the shokens would become unnescessary.
BILLY B

Post by BILLY B »

Mr. Ahearn,

Good points, all of them. My thought was not really of origins, as much as what was going on when Kanbun was in China. Boxer rebellion, challenges etc. Whatever style you studied at that time NEEDED to be practical or the style and its creator/followers would not survive - litteraly!

I never "saw" the elbow strike, Great interpretation! thanks!

btw- I have "comprehensive applications of SCN" by Dr. Jwing-Ming. Can't locate the material on cavity strikes. Is this the same book?
BILLY B

Post by BILLY B »

Doctor,

Dr. Jwing Ming has a doctorate in mechanical engineering from Purdue University. He professes to beleive in chi, but he appears to be educated in physical "laws" as well.

He states a good knowledge of how the body is structured is neccesary in your "seizing and controling" training. He also shows where to strike and press certain areas of the body to get different effects. One such area is the windpipe which he advocates squeezing closed "sealing the breath". I found that to be fairly practical advise.

Then again you could always dish out a bit of the old summary, eh?
A few tolchucks in the zoombies!

Disecting and discussing books seems like a worthwhile idea.

ps. DOCTOR is an honorery title I usually reserve for bar tenders.
BILLY B

Post by BILLY B »

J.D.,

The Doctor comment I made was an attempt at a joke. Thanks for the information, it opens my eyes a bit. I was trying to point out that this guy had taken the time and effort to learn some "western" laws of math and science - something I respect.

Would it be improper to discuss this person's work? (considering some may disagree with the "facts" presented?)

We could take what is useful and discard the rest.(to borrow a phrase from a famous martial artist)

No question Mr. Rabesa is a legend and his book proves helpful.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”