Strength training for Uechi Ryu: Part I

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Fedele Cacia

Post by Fedele Cacia »

There’s that word again! Image
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

You guys are stealing some thunder from post number 2.

David

A short piece of advice. The "olympic lift" is not something that olympic lifters do as a regular part of their training. Those rock-bottom positions in the clean & jerk, etc. are only done shortly before the event. They spend the bulk of their time doing more traditional lifts to build up to these stressful maneuvers. You have to be in top form before you even attempt these extreme maneuvers, and then you should only do them just before and during competition.

A marathon runner only runs a marathon on the day. A triathlete only does the iron-man event on the day. A boxer only fights without head gear on the day. A football player only goes all out on Sunday. And then there is recovery time...

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited March 01, 2000).]
David Elkins

Post by David Elkins »

Fedele,

Sorry, I felt like that question was addressed to Bill.

Simply it's a training plan used by many athletes to divide the year up into "periods" each with its own training goals and objectives. Typically this type of program is used by athletes wishing to "peak" for an event therefore the programs tend to be cumulative. They also tend to be pretty objective and measureable although many people use an intuitive periodization even if it isn't identified as such.

These types of programs were originally developed for track athletes so a concrete example might be several yearly phases characterized by less distance and more speed leading to the big race day (or several big races.)

There's a lot more that I'm sure Bill will address but this will get you in the door.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”