The Good Old Days

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Victor

The Good Old Days

Post by Victor »

The Good Old Days Part 1 - The Good

Thought it might be fun to reminisce about my personal experiences from my competition days in the 70’s and 80’s.

I’m just an average ‘Joe’, who had to put his pants on one leg at a time (unlike the true masters who can jump up and put both legs on at a time). Perhaps my memories might draw out some of your own and we can have some fun sharing. We all have lots of stories to draw on.

While a Brown Belt I had the chance to compete in my first Kobudo Division at the Cherry Blossom tournament in Wilkes-Barre, Penna. Most likely this was the Spring of 1977.

O’the good old days. Brown Belts in Kobudo Kata were thrown in with the Black Belts in the same division. Whether this was for seasoning to prepare us for the upcoming attractions or out of a perverse sense of humor, that’s the way it was everywhere.

Now I was there by myself. I was privately training under Murray Sensei who was also a Minister and did not have time on weekends to attend tournaments (his busy season). I had the pleasure of competing by myself with no friends or instructors present.

Then in the division I had to compete against the competitors of the Goshin Jutsu (such as George and Garry Michak) all who did good kobudo, the Students of Vince Ward (ditto on their kobudo skills) and to make it really interesting throw in Cynthia Rothrock, when she was coming into her own as a regional champion (in old Region 10), and it was also her home town.

I didn’t personally know the Pennsylvania Dan’s who were judging me as I was very new to that arena of competition. I do know Ernest Rotrock was one of the judges (several years before I began training with him) and George Dillman was one too.

Somehow I managed to get through my kata, Chantan Yara No Sai, which is long, but it is where Sensei Murray began my kobudo studies. I knew I didn’t make any mistakes and I considered that a victory in itself. My score? I have no idea, but I doubt I made the Dan’s worry to any great extent on that day.

Later in the day George Dillman came up to me and offered his comments.

“Son you got through the kata with no mistakes…..but it was Booooooring!”

Now undoubtedly that was an accurate assessment. But I have to be honest it did nothing for my self esteem to hear that from Mr. Dillman on our first meeting.

That evening I called my original instructor (Tom Lewis) to report on my day. When he heard my comment about George he began laughing, “Sheeeeeet Victor, You should have just hauled off and hit him!”

Sensei always did have good advice! <Grin>

------------------
Victor Smith
Victor

The Good Old Days

Post by Victor »

The Good Old Days Part II – The Bad (The Terror)

I was a new black belt, had been one for about 3 months, and was getting ready to line up for my first Black Belt Sparring division at Jon Bonner’s Coal Kick-In in Tamaqua, Pa. The division lined up by height and general size. As fortune had it my closest match was Sam Shockley from Lancaster, Penna. At that time Sam was ranked the No. 10 heavyweight in the World by the PKA.

The Sam Shockley I knew from tournaments conducted himself like a true gentleman. But he could be a terrifying one too. I had previously seen him leap into the air with a marvelous jump spin back kick over his opponents head.

Several weeks before my first tournament I read how Sam knocked out one of my seniors, Reese Rigby, no mean fighter in his own right. At that tournament Sam misjudged a jump spinning wheel kick and hit Reese in the neck, knocking him out. True, as it was non-concact Reese won the fight, but he was also on the ground.

About 6 months before this fated match I saw Sam fight at one of George Dillmans’s tournaments. He competed in both the non-contact and the Semi-Pro (full contact to the body – light contact to the head) divisions.

In his non-contact fights Sam drew a young fighter from Philadelphia who twice kicked him in the groin. The non-contact divisions allowed no groin kicks to score. After the second contact the competitor was disqualified, and although more than a little pressed, Sam conducted himself as controlled warrrior.

In the Semi-Pro divion, they drew each other for their second fight. Once again the young man drove a rising front kick into Sam’s Groin. Sam chose to simply step outside of the ring and walk around the entire tournament floor to walk off the pain. Although not allowed, not a judge said a thing to Sam.

When he re-entered the ring he set down in his horse stance. The judge shoulted ‘Hajime’ and Sam lept in with the strongest side kick I’ve ever seen. He kicked the young man in the abdomen so hard that he was totally bent in two over and under Sam’s leg from the kics. When Sam’s leg withdrew he dropped to the floor screaming. Personally I thought he was dying, but later realized he was trying to shout he pain away.

Well the fight eventually continued and Sam one as the young man’s wind was completely out of his sails at that time.

I guess one doesn’t kick Sam Shockley in the groin and think it won’t be noticed.

Now it was my time, my first Black Belt fight, and my opponent was Sam Shockley.

All of this was going through my head as I was waiting to compete.

I remember entering the ring opposite him, Rei-ing getting set and participating in a very quick warm up exercise with Sam. I began to attack and he nailed me. Then he blew through my defenses several times and the fight was completed. Sam was very nice and professional about it. I allowed him to losen up a little before his next fight.

My friends came up to me afterwards and remarked that they never saw anyone turn so white and trembling before they stepped into the ring..

Perhaps not, but then they weren’t the ones stepping out with Sam.

------------------
Victor Smith
Victor

The Good Old Days

Post by Victor »

The Good Old Days – the Ugy This is a long story.

Deep background

After I earned my green belt in Isshinryu, I had to move to Scranton, Pa for work.

As there was no Isshinryu there, I began to study Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan under Frank Trojanowicz (as it turns out he was Cindy Rothrock’s original martial arts instructor). It was good hard training, but the most significant difference was a change from body contact kumite in Isshinryu to no contact fighting in TDSMDK.

After a year or so, one of my Seniors moved to town to take over a local church and I went back to my studies in Isshinryu too. (Both instructors were aware I was doing both, too.) The next year or so I trained in both arts until I was ranked both 1st Kyu and 1st Gup at the same time. I’m not sure if I was entertaining getting Black (or Blue as the case is) Belts in both systems, but I discovered the non-contact kumite was inhibiting my Isshinryu kumite and holding back my advancement towards ShoDan. I made a choice and stopped my training in TSDMDK.

Nothing against Frank Trojanowicz. but sometimes we have to make choices. BTW, he does not figure into the rest of this story.

Side Story 1

After about 6 months into my TSDMDK training Black Belt ran an article on TSDMDK. Two issues later 50 TSD schools began advertising (and of course buying BB). Immediately after that Black Belt and the other Rainbow Publication Magazines began running stories almost monthly on TSD. Of course the TSD continued to advertise schools in the magazines. Rainbow Publications at that time was owned by a Korean, too.

Side Story 2

A little prior to my leaving TSD, a large contingent of Frank’s students broke away, because he wasn’t linked to Grand Master Hwang Kee, at least that’s how I heard it. Frank was aligned with Jae Chin if I recall correctly. Several of those students already had clubs in surrounding towns, and the group from Scranton began a program at the YMCA, where my wife was employed.

After I left Frank I would frequently practice at the YMCA, while waiting for my wife to finish up in the evenings, and remained amicable with my former training partners and instructors.

Later that year that group threw an Open Tournament. My instructor, then Reverend Murray, was able to attend. In his own right he was a rather interesting fighter. That day he blew through the heavyweight division and was to fight for the grand championship in the evening finals.

That was an interesting fight. The first time I saw all of the senior officials sit down for a grand championship and all of the corner officials were local TSD dans. Heck Charlie could have hit him with a kitchen sink and the judges wouldn’t call anything. Then his opponent split Charlie’s cheek open with a round kick. While the tournament rules called for immediate disqualification for blood, the Tournament promoters conferred and the tournament dirctor Mr “Y” (who I had never met) announced that for the Grand Championship the rules didn’t apply.

I leave you to guess the outcome.

I simply remember working very hard to calm down a Minister on the way home who wanted to go back and commit havoc.

I have no idea who won, I wasn’t a judge, and while judges are always right, I will note on occasion that they are sometimes less right than others.

Story Continues

I had just received my Black Belt in January of 78, and one day Charlie and I were discussing how Rainbow Publications were pushing TSD so much. My wife used to receive the YMCA’s supply of Black Belt monthly and it was explained to her by the instructor that their association made it mandatory for all schools to subscribe, whether they could sell the magazine or not. Truly a coordinated effort to gain shelf space for their system. [Which of course was their right!]

Charlie had the idea that I should write a personal letter to the publisher explaining that what they were doing was not a very fair idea. I thought that a reasonable idea and did so.

That Spring Charlie returned to the Air Force for employment, he completed my Isshinryu kata training and I was alone. Several weeks later the local TSDMDK schools held another ‘Open’ tournament at the YMCA where my wife was working.

It was a interesting tournament for non-TSD people. The word ‘stacked’ comes to mind. I was asked to judge a youth Black Belt forms division along with 4 other first degree black belts. There were about 50 competitors in the division. After quite a long judging spell we were about concluded with only one or two to go. Suddenly a Korean in a leisure suit (and you’re old if you remember what a leisure suit is) approached us and began to berate all the judges. He was telling us ‘you don’t know what you’re doing. I’m going to have you take the top 10 competitors and rejudge them as I tell you how to do this.”

Now I was the only non-TSD judge, as an Isshinryu Dan. I was also the only one who had any tournament experience.. As for the judging, I have no idea whether our choices were good or not. On the other hand I had never seen anyone simply tell the judges how they were to judge.

The other judges (who also didn’t know the man) were speechless. I spoke up “Sir, this is not the correct manner, this must be taken to the tournament directors. I stood up and walked over the directors tables. Dr. Boudin from Connecticut was there and I explained the situation to him. Basically “Sir this is an open tournament, and I have never seen anyone tell the judges how to judge. What do you want us to do.” A group of Koreans began to talk to him in Korean. Finally he waved me back and said “Complete the division.” And we did so.

As it turns out that was an instructor whose two students didn’t win. He was also the son in law of the Grand Master of TSDMDK.

A while later my wife, who was the YMCA coordinator for the tournament, came over to me. "Why is Mr “Y” saying we have to get rid of Victor Smith?”

I began charging across the floor, she grabbed the collar of my gi and yanked me around.

“You can’t do that….It would be my job.”

Listening to sound reasoning (my wife is also a karateka and can be nasty when necessary) , I gathered myself and got under control.

Later that day I competed in the Black Belt divisions. In forms a number of non-TSD competitors were there. Because of my wife being the Youth Program director at the YMCA, when my name was called for kata, I experienced my first (and only) bring the house down applause and cheering section. Of course the day was held by the TSD competitors but one judge had fun. The masters son-in-law liked my form, I got a 2 from him.

That fall I began my youth karate program at the Scranton Boys Club, and was competing throughout the region on a regular basis. I had no further contact with the local TSDMDK establishment.

One night late in the fall I was up at David Brojack’s Kempo Goju school, working out with his group. Suddenly one of the senior instructors told us, Mr “Y” is coming in. His school was about 5 miles away and that it was very unusual for him to drop on by. We kept sparring and didn’t think about it further, until I was called over.

“Victor, Mr “Y” wants to talk with you.”

Now I had never talked to him, was no longer in his system and had no idea what he wanted.

I approached him.

“You had no business doing what you did. If you had questions, you should have brought them to me instead of writing to Black Belt…you have no right to do that…” and on and on in that vein.

I remember frantically trying to think what he was talking about. I finally realized it must have been that letter I sent to the publisher of Rainbow Publications. And I couldn’t even remember what I had written.

I interjected, “Mr. Y, you have to realize I wrote that letter about 9 months ago. I don’t even remember what it contains at this time. But you need to realize I don’t have to ask your permission to write anything. We do have some freedom in this country.”

Mr. Y continued, “I tell you, you had no right. It was your obligation to ask all questions of me!”

[Remember I’ve never met him formally, spoken to him or studied with him.]

I began to speak again but he continued, “In fact, if you think about where your wife works and….”

I realized he was planning threaten my wife’s job because his friends taught at the YMCA. I made one of the most crucial decisions in my life. When I heard the rest of the sentence I was ready to put his head through the window.

But I guess he read the expression on my face and stopped talking and suddenly left.

I did discuss this with my wife, and she discussed this with her management, but nothing further was ever heard from him.

Nothing changed. I continued to practice at the YMCA and conduct my own program at the Boys Club.

The next month Black Belt was on the stands, and it contained my letter to the publisher.

I wish to state I written this for publication. It was meant as a personal opinion to the publisher. Not that I don’t and didn’t stand by what I had written. I was just unaware of the way the publishers created controversy I guess.

I stated that I thought it was improper that Rainbow Publications was giving one system so much coverage. I discussed the matter that I felt in large part it was due to the school advertising.. My letter was edited here as I documented the issue in some detail. I did not reveal information that was given to my wife that their association required them to advertise in the magazines.

At that point I made some personal observations about the nature of claims about TSDMDK. 1 discussed their claims that it was a martial art and not a sport….whereby I mentioned all the TSD schools I know participated in tournaments, nad how did you draw the line on that issue. I mentioned that personally I felt their tournament rules were very restrictive and further removed from a martial art (such as No Backfists and No Punches towards the head.

I also questioned the origins of the system, bringing up that their froms were a direct corollary to Shotokan Kata. I included a quote from a decade earlier Black Belt stating that Korean Arts were merged with Shotokan creating TSDMDK.

I did state they were worthy of coverage, but at no greater extent than any other system.

It was my opinion and I made it. From my point of view, I believe everything I said was accurate.

About a month later, as I would walk around Scranton during my lunch hour I began to receive very strange signals.

People I used to train with began to approach me and say they were sorry, and with no explanation. Later I found out they were trying to tell me they were all forced to write personal letters to Black Belt Magazine in order to pass their next promotion test.

As it turned out this wasn’t a local requirement. I had made the big time. It was a nationwide crusade.

Two months later Black Belt had a first. Every letter they published in the letters section was about me. They were inundated with mail. My personal opinion of the tone of the letters was “Who the **** is Victor Smith, and why does he have a right to exist!”

It had no personal impact on my life, but it was amusing.

I got a call from Charlie and had to convince him he didn’t need to come up to Scranton to kick ****.

On the Penna. Tournament circuit Senior Dans who I had never spoken to came up to me to shake my hand and congratulate me for speaking out what they were feeling about the Koreans. And I really hadn’t done it about any Koreans (except indirectly). All of the schools in the area were run by Amreicans.

The Scranton Area TSDMDK schools discontinued having open tournaments. I wonder if it was because of me?

A number of months later some Korean Master wrote an editorial in the magazines explaining how it was just coincidence that Hwrang Kee created similar forms, with similar names and similar techniques that were taught in the same sequence as Shotokan was. Coincidence and perhaps acknowledgement at the Grand Masters Plane his and Funakoshi Ghinchins mind were on the same train of thought. Hence the similarity.

I’m sure that is the case. (Heavy with irony!)

Heck about 15 years later others began to write the same thing about Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan, of course no longer with public outcry.

But I have to state, I also didn’t understand the Korean/Japanese history for the last 100 years or so at that time. Years later having a Korean for a student brought everything into perspective.

Personally I fully appreciate the reason No Korean would acknowledge Japanese origins to anything. It doesn’t make it not true, but it is understandable. The atrocities the Japanese perpetuated against the Koreans for 50 years will not be forgiven. The wheel turns I guess.

Now after all this, there was no net change to my life or my art. I wasn’t associating with them once I fully returned to Isshinryu. I continued not to associate with them.

They had no impact on my own program or studies or competition.

At that this story draws to a close.

Wrong…Got Ya!

Actually there is a postscript.

Remember Mr. “Y”. A gentleman I did not know, and only spoke to once, which he stopped short just before things would have gotten interesting.

Several years later I came home and was sitting down in the living room. My wife came home somewhat later and rushed to me.

“Did you hear?”

“Yes, I know Mr. “Y” suddenly died!”

“How do you feel?” she queried.

I sank back in my chair, placed my hands behind my head and grinning answered, “Just Great!”

I felt no sympathy for him. I was sorry for his family and children. But for him well I can truthfully its as I believe Robert Heinlein once said ‘one of the best things one can experience is the death of an enemy’.

Especially, one who goes out of his way to make himself one of his own violation!

Gee that may mean I'm not a nice person.

------------------
Victor Smith
Brat

The Good Old Days

Post by Brat »

A great story from the "epoch" of the martial arts preceding my own. From the time I first began training in the martial arts(1983), I always read black belt magazine. Back then Wyoming was pretty cut off geographically and culturally from the rest of the continent, so it was one of my few outlets to the outside world. I can relate to you, though when you talk about the magazine promoting select styles. I believe that nearly all major magazines do tend to promote the more popular styles, although today it is far more subtle than it was back then. Even in the 80's Black Belt was cramming one of 4 major styles it regularly featured down our throats.Actually, until I started competing, I was unaware that more than a handful of styles existed worldwide. I believe that over the years, several styles have used the magazine as a propaganda medium. Although I had never at the time studied Kung Fu, I finally switched over to reading Inside Kung Fu, because they were a little more objective, although their coverage was restricted to Chinese arts. Oh by the way you being a late 70's matial artist and all. Who do you think the toughest guy in the world was: Chuck Norris, or David Carradine!!!!?????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!????????????????!!!!!!!!!!
Victor

The Good Old Days

Post by Victor »

Brat:
Who wat the toughest Martial Artist in the World in the late 70's? Chuck Norris or David Carradine?

Let me tell you, I never faced them, so I'll pick a 'safe' answer.

Sam Shockley (see reason above) <GRIN>

------------------
Victor Smith

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”