The Bubushi Once Again - a Public Inquiry!

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Victor

The Bubushi Once Again - a Public Inquiry!

Post by Victor »

I'm preparing to re-enter my inquiry into the Bubushi.

I've received so much assistance and information already from Joe Swift (Kanazawa, Japan), Fernando Camera (Brazil), Milos Stavec (Yugoslavia) and Toby Reed (Massachusetts, USA). A true worldwide effort to look at the Bubushi.

With so many mysteries connected with this work, I currently realize how little we publicly know how the Bubushi has been used by the Okinawan instructors in this century.

No doubt in part because its use represents the inner workings of the various Okinawan systems.

What I'm seeking if anyone can share how their organization (or Seniors) in Okinawan karate may have used their own studies of the Bubushi as a source of their training.

I certainly understand if your organization wishes to keep such information private, on the other hand I believe it would be instructive to all of us if you can share that information.

If you are willing I'm suggesting three levels of sharing.

1. Private to me for my background understanding of the Bubushi only. Such communication would remain a point of honor for me and go no further.

2. Restricted for Researchers only. This would be information that can be shared with others providing like information, again for background use of those researching the Bubushi. Information received with this binding would periodically be shared only with those who are similarly contributing to this effort.

3. Public Information. Presented on the for public use.

I intend to shortly begin a series on how we can use the Bubushi in our contemporary training, and I feel any information gathered can be helpful to guide this study.

By way of example in the Isshinryu system as passed down to my instructors in their time on Okinawa, there was no evidence in the Bubushi except as referenced in the Isshinryu Code of Karate (taken directly from the Bubushi).

To privately contact me, please use ISSHIM @AOL.COM (the break is so the last character of my address is not deleted.

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu www.funkydragon.com/bushi

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”