Neurobics - Giving your brain a workout

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Bill sensei: There was a nice article in the Sunday Flair section on giving the brain a workout, calling it 'neurobics'. The description of these exercises is pretty much what you often talk about in class - challenge the brain with something new and different to promote the growth of new neural pathways.

The simplest exercise cited was 'brush your teeth with your off-hand'. Your challenge to students is a bit tougher: Perform our kata in mirror image. The result in the brain is similar to the result on muscles challenged by resistance training.

The worst activity cited for the brain?
Watching television.

Rich
BILLY B

Post by BILLY B »

Sir,

Thats what participating in these forums (especially writing) does for me, I think. I did not know about developing new "neural pathways". Interesting. And, resistance training- good analogy!
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Rich,

I read somewhere that the worst activity for the brain is USING THE COMPUTER NON-STOP! There is a point where it ceases being beneficial (I read this in TIME or Newsweek)to developing new path ways, but "shuts off" those that relate to the natural world. Then, the person ceases to function normally in the physical world.

Jackie
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

You want a neurobic workout? Write the alphabet in you off hand (right or left, as the case my be) a few times. Granny used to do that.

Gene

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”