Kobudo?

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

BILLY B

Kobudo?

Post by BILLY B »

Sensei Bill Glasheen and readers,

I noticed you are a proponent of lifting, but not of "tons of cardio".

I hate "cardio", because its B-O-R-E-ING!

My Sensei teaches kobudo. I never thought of studying it before because it seemed so "impractical" - I wanted to know how to fight in the real world! when are you going to pull out a sai? But now, having been running for nine months for cardiovascular endurance/conditioning I am thinking; Hey if I picked up Kobudo! The "weighted" kata would be good cardio as well as resistance training. I also think it would be more motivating. What are your thoughts on this as a training concept?
Evan Pantazi

Kobudo?

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Not to mention strengthening the grip for grappling, or less apprehension about potentially painful objects flying around your perimeter. You need sharp focus and awareness for this. I remember one instructor teaching me my first Kama Kata (Kanigawa Ni Cho Kama) with sharp weapons...he said it keeps you focused. Then he told me a couple of stories of those that did not focus enough...that was enough to get me out of breath, Brain Cardio.

Try a full speed Arnis (with or without a partner) drill, a great Cardio workout with tons of required focus.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
users.erols.com/kyusho

[This message has been edited by Evan Pantazi (edited March 18, 2000).]
Gilbert MacIntyre

Kobudo?

Post by Gilbert MacIntyre »

I think this would be a good place to ask, what kind of a workouts do yall go through. I know what I'm doing but I would be interested in some other ideas.

Do you run, lift, bag work, cardio, cut pulp, throw rail-road ties? How often, do you alternate days and workouts? I know it's personal to some, but I've often wondered what everybody else is up to.
Evan Pantazi

Kobudo?

Post by Evan Pantazi »

20 minutes minimum on the Wooden Dummy, followed by Kata for one hour, Stretching /Chi Gung / Tai Chi every day.

37 hours on the matt each week working with the students (including at least 4 hours of grappling).

------------------
Evan Pantazi
users.erols.com/kyusho
BILLY B

Kobudo?

Post by BILLY B »

Gilbert,

weights 30 min to 1 hour 4 days a week, followed by a 30 minute run on the treadmill. Karate class three times a week. I stretch before and after and sometimes during all these activities.

I was thinking I could dump the treadmill routine in favor of weapons training. This would accomplish the same cardio goal and give me a new skill, or a new perspective on old ones perhaps. I also think it would develop a unique type of strength. (think of swinging around heavy sai for example.)

More importantly perhaps, it would be more FUN! I think the reason people start and stop exercise routines is because they really don't care about the activity! They just want to "get in shape".

My contention is you first have to find something you will really enjoy that will hold your interest. I have never entertained the thought of "quiting" karate practice. I entertain the thought of quiting the treadmill everytime I turn it on! Weights I truly love for some reason - I'm addicted.
maurice richard libby

Kobudo?

Post by maurice richard libby »

Ok.

My standard work out : 30-40 minutes of conditioning (Iron Palm and kotikitae, sort of) followed by about 40 minutes on teh makiwara and heavy bag(s). Later in the day about an hour of kata.

For cardio I walk the dogs three times a day. The middle walk of the day, around 4:00pm is either a run, a scramble, or an overland hike . If I'm feeling lazy (more frequent than I'd care to admit) I just walk.

Three times a week I do a one hour full-body workout with the weights, (about 15 minutes on the heavy bag or kata to warm up). My weights routime varies, but it it mostly mutlti-joint exercises concentrating on power rather than pure strength (althoug that varies depending on where in the cycle I am). My routine is based ont the "big three": squat, dead lift, power cleans.

This varies according to circumstances. I haven't been doing much kobudo, but I'm going to add more in the near future.

By the way kobudo weapons training, (in my opinion) isn't about the weapons per se, but rather an adjunct that teaches how to use koshi properly, improve balnce, etc. I don't figure I'll ever get to use a bo or sai in real life, but training with them helps my empty-hand practice.

maurice

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
ICQ9474685
Ronin at large
Gilbert MacIntyre

Kobudo?

Maurice:
Maybe not a bo, but there's always a hockey stick around.

Evan and BB:
Nice stuff, thanks, anyone else?
BILLY B

Kobudo?

Post by BILLY B »

Pantazi Sensei,

I am interested in wooden dummy training. I have never worked out on one. In fact my experience with them is limited to what I have seen in Bruce Lee movies and mpegs on wing chun sites. It looks like a valuable training tool, and its interesting that you choose to work with one...

My plan is to work some bag(not just heavybag) training into my regimen, and I think wooden dummy training is a subset of "bagwork". My concerns are expense and getting the best product available. (You don't see wooden dummies in "consumer reports"!

How did you get into it? Why did you stick with it? Do you work "routines" or is it all spontaneous.

I got into running as an adjunct to lifting because I had read that was the optimum combination for athletic performance. But, after some experience I find running boring and of little practical use(aside from the meditational aspects). I would like to develop some martialy oriented exercises that I can do on a weekly basis to keep the cardio conditioning up.

What does everyone think of this? What do you all do? (Gilbert already asked this question - but I am chomping at the bit!) Just a prod to get "readers" to contribute. (maybe an insult would work better - ed.)
maurice richard libby

Kobudo?

Post by maurice richard libby »

Billy B.

The best thing I can think of for unconventional cardio work is to structure your bag work as a cardio exercise. Twnety minutes of continuous (non stop) punching/kicking on the heavy bag (conventional or water filled) will get your haeart rate up and keep it there. Twenty minutes on the bag is much harder than a twenty minute run.

There are other ways, but that's my favourite.

maurice

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
ICQ9474685
Ronin at large
Gilbert MacIntyre

Kobudo?

Billy B:
I have the same feeling about the wooden dummy, I love to get one.

I'd like to throw my workouts in now see if there is anything you like. I alternate daily with my workouts, but it goes something like this.

Day one: 8:00 am Stretch for 15 minutes, run 5 miles, stretch for 1/2 hr. meditate for 20 minutes, quigong exercises for about 20 minutes, then I use a club for conditioning and use it on my upper body for 35 minutes. Dojo at night, for the nightly class

Day two: 8:00 am Stretch about 5 minutes, then pick up 2 7.5 lbs. dumbells and shadow box for 45 minutes. When my arms can't punch any more I sit and do presses or swing my arms to the side, working my chest, the whole idea is, I have to keep moving for the whole 45. Then I stretch and do 210 stomach crunches( I change my leg position every 30, to keep it even I end up with 210). Then I do my meditation and quigong again and move into my conditioning. This time my legs, 15 minutes each leg. Dojo at night, for the nightly class.

This is alternated for six days then I have to pull 2 day shifts and my workout changes again.

First day: Stretch for 5 minutes. I put 70 pounds on a universal we have at work and do 420-490 reps.(sets of 70) in a 1/2 hour. Stretch for 20 minutes then do 600 kicks on a heavy bag we have there (front, side, round house, foward foot round and front)in a 1/2 hour. Truth is I've never been able to get the whole 600 in the 1/2 hr. usually about 500 or so but I keep going til all 600 are done. 210 stomach crunches, stretch for 1/2 hr. Dojo at night, for the nightly class.

Day 2 at work: Stretch for 5 minutes, then put the 70 lbs. on the universal and do my reps. then move to the heavy bag and do at least 6 rounds, just hands. Then 210 crunches, stretch for a 1/2 hour. Dojo at night for reg. class.

Now somewhere in there, I have to work 2 night shifts and of course I'm not at the dojo then. I take one day off a week, not always the same one, depends on my schedule.

I like this it seems to keep me from getting bored with the same thing all the time. I would like to work in the wooden dummy though.
Gilbert MacIntyre

Kobudo?

Please note above...that's 2 7.5 lbs dumbells. Not 27.5 lbs. dumbells, geez my arms are hurting just thinking about it.
Evan Pantazi

Kobudo?

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Billy B San,

I learned the Wooden Dummy form back in 1975 and worked it mostly as a regular Kata (I did not have a Wooden Dummy to call my own until 9 years ago). I work the 108 move form 3 times to start and then progress into spontaneous work. The reason I stuck with it so long may be due the feel of something solid to hit. And it closley works with my other Katas of choice Nai Han Chi and Bil Jee.

What's nice about it is that everything is close and dangerous (getting impaled on one of the Arms when you get cookin). Also I am now fairly confident that my strikes will hurt the average Joe after pounding solid wood. There is so much you can do with it I find it a great adjunct to my personal routine.

As for quality mine cost $895.00 9 years ago (it is solid Teak though). A word of caution don't buy PVC It's not the same. A friend of mine built one (actually Laminated Oak and Walnut, with Oak Arms, this one is in my school talk about hitting something solid), you can see it in the background in some of the mpegs.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
users.erols.com/kyusho
BILLY B

Kobudo?

Post by BILLY B »

Maurice,

Thanks. I have always suspected that also, but have no real facts to back up the assumption. Bagwork is definetly in my future though.

Gilbert,

Wow man, you work out like crazy! I am also lucky enough to have a gym at work. Makes things easier does'nt it? The weighted punching you suggest is interesting and pertains directly to my original post/idea. What results has it gotten you?

"shift work" is inherantly stressfull, I have found working out is the best way to reduce the effects. Many shift workers I know do not combat this stress effectivly(bad eating habits - little to no exercise). Good for you man!

Pantazi Sensei,

Thank you, just what I was looking for! Are you saying I can do Uechi Kata on the dummy? Is it that easy? Pretty cool, I never thought of that. I did a search on dummies (Oh boy I can hear the comments now..) Wooden dummies that is. Price seems about the same as it was when you bought. I only found one that was teak - and I think it was the best quality.

What do you think of the "BOB" punching bag that is out? No arms, but anatomicly the head and torso are really acurate. Seems like something that would be good for kyusho practice, especially for those who are afraid of causing injury!
Evan Pantazi

Kobudo?

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Billy B San,

Go to my Forum as I brought the Mook Joong form out of the archives. Another alternative to Bob is a manequin, they can be painfully expensive. I just bought one for the school for teaching the Kyusho striking with intent...it's more anatomically correct than the wooden dummy and takes the abuse better than Uke.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
users.erols.com/kyusho
SEAN C

Kobudo?

Post by SEAN C »

Billy B,

For aerobic exercise, I do hojo undo at ten reps for each side as fast as I can, straight through without lowering my hands or leaving sanchin stance for the duration. Just like tae bo! Image

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”