The Black Belt

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Gilbert MacIntyre

The Black Belt

Post by Gilbert MacIntyre »

Nicely put Mary. I've tried over the years not to identify with anything, not to have my self worth or identity too closely attached to any aspect of my life.

After reading your post I must admit this aspect of my life has had more influence over the type of person I am than anything else in my life. It has shown me what I'm made of, what it is I can call on, that makes me good at any other endeavour I am successful in. It has given me a security that makes me a better husband, father or even just a better human.
gmattson
Site Admin

The Black Belt

Post by gmattson »

Mary: Your words should be put on every black belt certificate!

------------------
GEM
Scott Danziger

The Black Belt

Post by Scott Danziger »

Mary,

A good friend of mine and high ranking sensei of another style has been allowing me to train with her Wednesday night classes. The others in the class are Black & Brown belts. The last 2 Wednesdays I trained there, I realized just how weak my home training (on my own) has been. I was getting winded very easily in her class doing drills and sparring. Obviously I wasn't pushing myself harder at home. Well, I was looking for an excuse to skip tomorrow night. Work on getting my wind back... whatever.

After reading your Excellant post, I will be at her dojo tomorrow with bells on.

THANK YOU!

(And btw: I was only Sankyu for a day back in '83. (long story))

Sensei Mattson, I believe her post belongs on the Main page as part of the Quote of the day.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Danziger (edited March 21, 2000).]
Mary S

The Black Belt

Post by Mary S »

I’ve been thinking lately about the value of my black belt...this is based on comments from fellow students, instructors, NKF’s (non-karate friends), comments I have read on the forums, etc. When I got home from class last night and dumped the gear bag on the floor the last thing to come tumbling out was my belt.

I picked up to put it back in the bag and noticed how much heavier and thicker the fabric was than of my kyu belts...and I started thinking about every thread that has gone into the making of that belt.

Every single drop of sweat is equal to a thread, every bruise, lump, broken bone, ache, pain another thread. Every class where I thought I didn’t have one more kick left in me and my partner said “You can do it...just one more the hardest one you’ve got” is a thread...the nights when I saw my partner flagged and I had the words to push them to do one more whatever...a thread. The nights when the last thing I wanted to do was go to class but found myself driving to the dojo is a thread. Every kata, kumite, bunkai, drill... a thread. Friends I’ve met...a thread. Tournaments I’ve participated in .... a thread. The instructors I’ve been fortunate enough to encounter and learn from...a thread. The lower ranked students who didn’t think they could teach anything to a higher rank but did...a thread. The nights the lightbulb came on in class...a thread...outside of class...a thread. The nights it didn’t come on at all....a thread. The fact that I had the determination I never knew I had to stick with something ... a thread.

When it comes right down to it everybody values their black belt differently. Yes, it is a collection of threads but it is the weave of those threads that show the true value of the belt. I guess what I’m saying is that everyone looks at their black belt from a different perspective...only the person who is wearing it can tell you what it means to them...

[This message has been edited by Mary S (edited March 21, 2000).]
Evan Pantazi

The Black Belt

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Mary San,

Thank you for sharing your insights

------------------
Evan Pantazi
users.erols.com/kyusho
gmattson
Site Admin

The Black Belt

Post by gmattson »

Great idea Scott. Done!

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

The Black Belt

Post by Allen M. »

Very nice post, Mary.
Rick Wilson

The Black Belt

Post by Rick Wilson »

Wow. Great post. May I have your permission to print and post this at my dojo?

Rick
Mary S

The Black Belt

Post by Mary S »

Rick-san - yes, of course you may post it at your dojo.

I'm a bit surprised (and flattered) by the response I've gotten about this post....my primary objective was more of a personal one - an affirmation that I actually accomplished something when I got my black belt. The positive responses help to reaffirm that belief....thanks!! (ah....so much more to learn!) Image

[This message has been edited by Mary S (edited March 23, 2000).]
Jackie Olsen

The Black Belt

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Wonderful post, Mary ...

It is a must-read for all students of our art. Your ideas got me thinking further down the road when the threads become faded, worn, and start to unravel ... like you see on some of the Senior-Seniors ...

"As the child must learn to build his foundation, the adult must learn to tear it apart."

Thanks again ...

------------------
In Beauty,

Jackie

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”