Online School Website

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Brat

Online School Website

Post by Brat »

This is a subject that I have been playing with for a long time. I am currently in the process of developing my own web page. It will be a page for an online learning resource in the style of Savate. What brought this about was emails from countless people that say they are interested in Savate, but cannot find anywhere to learn. This is a problem because the only schools I know of are either in Texas, California, or Arizona. Oh the ideal would be to pull up stakes and move there to study but I seriously doubt too many people are willing to put the house up for sale and take off on such a journey. Well, it so happens that I have been without a training partner for many years now. When I workout, I go it alone. This has led to the development of many methods of "realistic simulation" that I feel would benefit others. Therefore, I am designing the page with that goal in mind.
I have designed a program that takes the person through the core basics and then builds upon these while imparting the basic tools of self defense that is basically what most people are interested in.
My secondary motivation is that I feel Savate has been grossly underrepresented in the martial arts world. This is in part due to the Thai Boxing craze that was started by Jean Claude in the early 90s. I've fought Thai boxers and am not so impressed.
Now before I get a landslide of "hard-liners" telling me that there is no way this will work, I will tell you all to save your breath. This will not be a "teach yourself" type of program. I will be doing the teaching online through vid clips and email. There will be an option of digicamming techniques back to me for evaluation.
I am NOT going to make claims that a person will know Savte well enough to com to the K1 and win the Grand Prix. My intention is to teach techniques of self defense and combat that I have learned in Savate and Western Boxing to people who otherwise would not have the opportunity to learn. There will be a very affordable fee for the service $20.00 a month.
Money is not my primary motivation. I have been intrigued by the concept of distance traing for many years now. I have observed many other attempts that have fallen short and believe I can improve upon those significantly.
The reason I am posting this is that, once I get the site up and running, I would like some of the experienced people who hang around here to come and view the site and my program and tell me what you think. If you would like to do this please send me you emails and when I have the site up and running, I will give you the URL. I hope to have the whole thing up by the end of May.
I am attempting to break new ground here and I'm sure that I will learn greatly from my efforts and improve upon them.
The whole concept of distance learning is not new to me. Basically, everyones martial arts experience amounts to about 5 hours at home alone to every 1 hour in the dojo. At least that is the way I learned.
I plan to expand on the site as well and am open to any new ideas. At the present, I am planning to offer my program along with the 3 novels I've written for sale.
David Elkins

Online School Website

Post by David Elkins »

Great idea and I wish you every success. Distance learning can certainly work. An advanced practitioner can take serious instruction in a variety of arts successfully via distance learning in my opinion. Similarly a beginner although here the waters get pretty muddy based upon the quality of the instruction and how dedicated is the student. Admittedly, they will be subject to a variety of elongations of the learning curve based upon trial and error in parts of the training. I'm sure that you'll do a great job.

Brat, did you study Le Canne as part of your Savate curriculum?

------------------
Good Training,

David
Uechi Ryu West
Evan Pantazi

Online School Website

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Brat San,

I have been doing this for the past year or so and it has worked well. I have about 45 people taking online lessons from all over the world. I don't do a monthly fee but I do charge by the answer, mpg, or video.

Be prepared to get locked down to a computer for longer periods once they start coming in. (Mixed blessings so to say).

------------------
Evan Pantazi
users.erols.com/kyusho
Brat

Online School Website

Post by Brat »

David, I assume by Le Canne you are reffering to the stick fighting. Sorry but my instructor was not all that big on French terminology. Sadly no, I didn't get to that. Jack(my instructor) demonstrated it once or twice, but noone in class was ever taught it. At the time I was more interested in competing in the various mixed kickboxing events that were popping up all over the place. I probably would have eventually learned it, but as so many of my other martial arts experiences, Jack was transferred on his day job to North Carolina, and once again I was high and dry. It was time well spent though. In all I studied three years, and with the exception of Le Canne, learned all of Savate.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”