Terry Dukes and Mushindokai

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

student

Post by student »

You mean:"@_($%&*@$%#*$*@#^$&&, gosh-a-mickle, dickle-pickle, gee willy wombats, dog my cats, rowrbazzle...?"

(For the fans among us of the late Walt Kelly.)

student

Ah, the Hazard of Dukes....
student

Post by student »

Another thread on the dangers of cult-like leaders.
http://bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum35/HTML/000593.html
Bod Boulton

Post by Bod Boulton »

Ike,

Thumbs up for Indian astrology! On Friday June 16th the Bodhisattva Warriors website was unplugged. Being the main focus point of criticism on Dukes, the termination of the site relieved Dukes/Nagaboshi of his critics. The astrologer was only a few days off.

In order to resolve some confusion: In 1972 Terry Dukes started calling himself "Osensei Nagaboshi Tomio" and had a spontanuous re-birth in the form of a Buddhist Priest. For Terry/Nagaboshi reality has always been what he imagined it to be ("you can't see reality in any other way as in the way that you see it so that is reality for you...") so that is how 'Terry Dukes, bricklayer from south London' ceased to exist as a real person.
david

Post by david »

Icon,

That is a really good link and article. George Sensei, you may want to get permission to establish a link there, or to have the article placed in the collection on this site.

david
Byron

Post by Byron »

I dropped in to see Terry Dukes a few days ago. He was an old friend and karate teacher.
He used to stay with me in London many years ago and we would discuss and argue Buddhism, life on the Path etc

By chance while trying to find his books I hapenned upon this forum.
I sent him an email. But it is really adressed to everyone here too:

"Dear Terry,
Thanks for your hospitality. I'm glad I saw you again.
The next day after seeing you I was doing a search on the net for your book' 'The Bodhisattva Warriors' .
I came across a number of related sites which had a lot of nasty and damning tales to say about your person.
I was a bit taken aback to tell you the truth because in all honesty I never felt that you had done anything nasty to me!
I know a lot of the people who have written in that forum; they were old acquaintances, friends and karate teachers of mine like Bill , David and others. They're not crazy or 'bad' people.

I feel it is all rather sad. Now I don't really give a fig about who is 'right' or 'wrong' here. We all have viewpoints and we are only responsible for our own actions.
However I think that it is now crucially important to find the way forward to get on with our lives, let bygones be bygones and be resolved to try again and not repeat the same mistakes over and over again.

There is no smoke without fire. The truth is that while you were all training together you had the chance of creating something beautiful. A lot of people benefited, young and old. Alas self delusion got the better of some, a little power went to their heads and as a result of these actions you suddenly found that you were in the midst of an ugly situation; an incestuous type of energy (which never feels very wholesome) had got a good grip on you and it caused everyone to say and do very foolish things. (There are energies like that around us and we invite them by our actions. I caught a wiff of it back then, didn't like it and so I left). It takes a long time to get rid of it. It is like an infection. Eventually it leaves by itself.

There's nothing new about the fiascos I read in these forums. The esoteric world is littered with such stories of gurus who burnt their boats and of students who felt let down. Yet we all really deserve what we get! Some part of us knows. It doesn't get fooled. We need to learn to listen more to our bodies; 'that' is the part of us that 'knows'.
Death is a reality that is closer to us than we think. There is no time for wasting our energies in building monuments to our egos as if we are gods that will live forever.
Instead each of us has to fight to free one's spirit from the stupidities of this world. Free from fear or greed each one of us needs to find the path with heart and put it into action today.
There are no guarantees either. A lot of orthodox schools of martial arts, Yoga, Tai Chi etc look good on paper but have lost 'the Spirit' or so it seems. One has to rely on one's 'inner knowing'.

I would urge you all to take the best out of all these years of being karate practitioners and to use it creatively. I did.
I know that it is better to act from silence than to complain, blame or try to justify one's actions
I remember all you people with affection and joy. I learnt a little from the art that we practiced and it helped me to open doors.
I'm glad to hear that some people have moved forwards and got on with their lives. For instance Bill has become an Ayengar yoga teacher , others have studied Buddhism in depth, learnt meditation, and many have carried on with practices which will eventually make them stronger.
I am a practitioner of Tensegrity.(http://castaneda.org/)

In closing I would like to say something about the word 'Shifu. From my own experience it is not a personal appellation that belongs to any one person. (even though a lot of people use it and ascribe it to themselves and others. -So Terry please don't ever ask me to call you 'Shifu'-)
'Shifu' is an abstract 'name of power'.
If you need guidance or help and you call on the name 'Shifu' (in the right spirit), an impersonal energy will be there to help you through. It transcends the boundaries of time and space. It is I believe what all martial arts have always tried to tune into by their training.
That has been my experience.

Let us always treat each other with courtesy.

With Abstract Affection to all,
Byron Zeliotis
-a fellow warrior traveller-.

PS I have sent a copy of this message to the forum.
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Nice to hear from you Byron. I also liked your message. You sound like someone who has a good heart and a forgiving nature.

I believe many of Terry's students would feel the same way if someday Terry found it in his heart to admit his mistakes and become himself again.

Unfortunately, he is so far mired into his make-believe life and personality, that any remorse or admission of a lifetime of deceit is probably not possible.

But of course. . .

------------------
GEM
LeeDarrow

Post by LeeDarrow »

And here I was, wondering for all these years why a Southeast Asian Martial Arts tournament, run by people local to the area, would call the tournament by a JAPANESE name like they did in the movie about him.....

Inquiring minds and all that...

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Andrew:

Terry was a charismatic character, who was able to motivate people in a way these people never believed possible.

Unfortunately, Terry began to believe he was the source of the power, rather than a coach who simply helped people unlock the power all of us possess.

When you have discovered Terry was/is not a guru or spiritual guide he claimed to be, you lost the ability to continue your journey.

Find another sport/art/discipline, with an honest teacher who simply wants to help you learn what he/she has to offer. Accept the help and accept the fact that you are the one performing the tasks. Be proud of your accomplishments and enjoy the journey.

------------------
GEM
Bhagavad

Post by Bhagavad »

Hi Byron, George Sensei, et al,
My name is Matthew Andrew Stones, and I trained in Mushindo from the tender age of 13 till the age of 28 (1977-92). Byron, you sound as I remember you : philosophical as ever. And of course you're right, it's best to 'let bygons be bygons' - look to the future rather than the past. And at the same time, I myself have found it very difficult to 'look to the future' with any real sense of positivity after leaving MKA. This is not for lack of desire, nor want of trying. It's like I just havn't been able to recapture an enthusiasm for life that I used to have when I was in Mushindo. I put so much energy into that whole time - I had so much hope and aspiration to share Terry's dream and to have him as my teacher, that when it all didn't work out I just felt incredibly deflated, and have felt that way pretty much ever since. I feel like Austin Powers who's 'lost his mojo'. Glad you've still got yours Byron!
Thanks to George Sensei and the Uechi ryu crew for this website.
Yours sincerely,
Andrew Stones
PS:
George Sensei : I doubt that an apology from Terry would give me my mojo back - I'm not sure what I need - a shot in the arm maybe!
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Andrew

Many who've been in the martial arts for any length of time have reached epiphanies of some sort, where things were found to be something other than (less than??) we once believed them to be. So...where to go from there?

I think it's important to reflect on the value of YOUR OWN journey, irrespective of the hopes and the misdirections. You now are equipped with a better view of the world the way it really is. And no simple set of statements can impart exactly all that you have learned. Appreciate that. Savor it. Grow beyond it. You are farther than you realize, even with the bare naked truth showing that it isn't what you had been told, imagined, or hoped for. It is...different.

I'll never forget when my son asked me the pointed question "Dad, is there a Santa Claus?" I answered him with the equivalent of "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus." Never give up dreaming and hoping. Never give up the child's mind that allows us to assimilate what the aged cannot. Your journey is FAR from over.

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited January 29, 2002).]

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”