Aiki Ju-Jutsu and NSI /Groundfighting Seminar

Free listing of Events, Tournaments, Seminars & Products RELATING to the Martial Arts.

Moderator: gmattson

Cale

Post by Cale »

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to extend, to all of you, an invitation to a seminar I'm promoting on: Saturday September 21st 2002.
Sensei Gene Villa of the International Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate Federation...(one of Mario Higaona's students)..has been nice enough to host us at his studio in Spokane, Wa.
Sensei Corey Minatani will be demonstrating how Aiki Ju-Jutsu and NSI concepts apply to Goju-Ryu techniques.....as well as some variuos groundfighting applications. The curriculum is top notch and, as with all of Corey's seminars, this will prove to be most informative and entertaining. We're excited to be breaking new ground and start sreading NSI concepts to the Spokane Area. We hope we can have all of your support, and make this a successful experience.

When: Saturday September 21, 2002
Where: Family Karate Center
1407 E. 57th Ave.
Spokane, Wa
How Much: $35 at the door
$25 with pre-registration
Time: 10am-2pm with 9am registration.
Why: Because if you miss this, you're
missing out.
For more information Contact:
Cale Merkley at caleandsharon@yahoo.com
or call (509)-235-1492 or check: http://geocities.com/wrcma/Home.html

To pre-register send $25 check or money order to: Cale Merkley
620 W.7th St. #6F
Cheney, Wa 99004
or contact to confirm registration at the door.
Thanks so much.....hope to see you there
Cale
Cale

Post by Cale »

Just some quick background infomation for those that don't know Corey Minatani. Corey is a 3rd Dan in Freewind Martial Arts....which is a traditional Tae Kwon Do base but heavily influenced by many other arts such as American Kenpo, Goju-Ryu Karate, Modern Arnis, and utilizes some of the fundamental concepts of Wing Chung and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. (Supporting the philosophy of finding the "essence" of other arts and incorporating it into our curriculum)
Corey is also a Nidan in Natural Spirit International (Modern Arnis)concepts under Datu Kelly Worden, and now with his "instructor in training" status in Aiki Ju-Jutsu almost complete, under Shihon Tony Anesi (Takeshin Sogo Budo, Bushido-Kai), Sensei Minatani has an outstanding amount of resources to draw from. And for those of you who do know Corey, his ongoing, indepth studies of other Arts has given him a commanding understanding of many arts. I am proud to be his student........
Now to answer any questions about the curriculum:
The seminar will most likely consist of how NSI and Aiki entries can be applied to Goju-Ryu curriculum....plus, where previously undicovered Aiki and NSI concepts can be extracted or expounded on from within their own techniques. In addition we will probably cover ways of incorporating more off balancing to improve monitoring, changing body position, and inhance entries and other "principle based" techniques in a Goju-Ryu context. You can expect Aikido-like throws, lock flow, and positionaly monitoring your opponent from a ground fighting sinerio.....to say the least, It will be Awesome. With all of Corey's seminars.....I guarantee there will be connections, insights, and just plain things you've never seen before......I'm getting ready for this on.....and you should too.
There is so much to be said....but basically, it's not something I can really explain....it's more...something you have to experience for yourself....Thanks again
Cale
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

I moved this post here since it was mistakenly posted in the women's forum.

thanks,
Dana
Cale

Post by Cale »

It wasn't a mistake.....
Cale

Post by Cale »

I can see that this is a popular place to post this........but The Seminar Location is 1407 E. 57th Ave. Spokane, Wa. To get there:
Eventually, you need to end up going EAST-Bound on I-90 toward SPOKANE. As you are about to enter Spokane you will begin to descend a mammoth 3 mile hill. As you approach the bottom of the hill, you will see EXIT 279 The COLFAX\PULLMAN exit SOUTH 195. Go RIGHT on EXIT 279. You are now SOUTH on Highway 195. After the exit go about 5 miles and you should see HATCH rd. off to the LEFT. Take a LEFT on HATCH rd. Follow HATCH exactly 1.6 miles till you come to a Stop sign at the top of the hill. HATCH empties into 57TH AVE. So, take a RIGHT at the STOP SIGN at 57TH AVE. Go 1BLOCK on 57th Ave. and the FAMILY KARATE CENTER DOJO is just to the LEFT.
To reiderate:
Go East on I-90 to Spokane, WA. Take a Right on exit 279 the South 195 ColfaxPullman exit. Go about 5 miles and hang a Left on Hatch Rd. Go 1.6 miles on Hatch till you hit a Stop sign. Hang a Right at the Stop sign. Go a block or so and the Dojo is to the Left.
If there are any more questions just email me. And for those that are looking for a hotel, the Airway Heights Inn off of exit 276 has rooms for $30. It's nice and is less than 10 miles from the Seminar. Just reply to this email if you would like further info on Hotel accomidations in the Spokane Area. Bring your Families. We will be going out to the Mongolian Bar B Q in Spokane after the seminar. Hope you can join us. Thanks again,
Cale Merkley
student

Post by student »

Cale:

It looks very interesting. I won't be able to get there; I'm half a continent away and it falls upon a holiday for me, anyway.

However, just a small line about accepted procedure on these Forums: multiple messages across many of the Forums are discouraged. Pick one or two - like this one, or the Grappling Forum - to give out your full information. If you must cross post on the other Forums, why not refer them to your full post on the Events Forum?

Just a tip.

Murray/student
Cale

Post by Cale »

I'm sorry about that. I've only been on the forum for a short time now and still not sure about all the proper edicate. Thank you. I posted it everywhere only because most wouldn't cross into other forums to read what was posted. Sorry. So where are you out of? What's your background? Just intrested for future reference.....Thanks again, Cale
student

Post by student »

You're welcome.

Thank you for taking my message in the spirit in which it was meant.

I'm in Kentucky. I've studied Wing Chun, TKD, Kenpo, Judo, Ju-Jutsu (not BJJ) Society for Creative Anachronism sword and shield, fencing, and dabbled in a bunch of other things.

Murray/student

[This message has been edited by student (edited September 17, 2002).]

Return to “Events, Products & Services”