The Circle

A forum dedicated to the creative expressions, inspirations, hopes and dreams of fellow Karateka.
Jackie Olsen

The Circle

Post by Jackie Olsen »

A student begins her training in the place of trust and innocence and wears the white belt of purity. As the teachings progress she earns her first achievement ... a yellow belt or one green stripe ... indicating the awakening or dawn of a new day. She opens her mind to the teachings and forms and begins to acquire inner strength. She becomes planted in her new learnings and becomes fertile and starts growing, hence the color of the green belt.

The next stage of development is that of battle and competition ... developing her hara and firmness of stance in Mother Earth. She acquires the brown belt as she begins to feel her spirit rise and realizes that she must learn control with the power she has acquired thus far.

As she rounds the circle to ikkyu, the next step is jumping into the black abyss of the unknown of the shodan test. It is there she faces the first enemy of fear. If she survives the test she is awarded the black belt and becomes truly teachable. At this point, she apprentices to a man or woman of knowledge and faces her next test of the enemy of clarity.

Does she know all that there is to be known? Is there more to learn? Why continue with training? She defeats the enemy of clarity when she understands that as she now reaches what may be perceived as the top of another hill, she has an opportunity to look back over what steps she's carved. Once again, she gets ready to jump into the abyss of another dan test. Afterwards, She knows that she will be confronted by another hill in which she must carve steps again ... and so the circle goes until she must face the enemy of old age and death and make it her ally.

JAO

I have just passed my Sandan test ...
gmattson
Site Admin

The Circle

Post by gmattson »

Congratulations Jackie! Well done.
Best,
George
Jackie Olsen

The Circle

Post by Jackie Olsen »

GEM and Anthony ... Thank you very muchfor your wishes!

Anthony ... yes that is fascinating! I love the study of words and keep a file on relationships ... I'll add these to my grab bag of letters...

As for death/thread, here's what hit me ... it is our death that leads us into the thread of our next rebirth. Don't know if you've ever heard of this:

Death gives life,
Life gives rebirth,
Rebirth gives movement,
Movement gives change,
Change gives chaos,
Chaos gives death,
Death gives life...

Jackie

[This message has been edited by Jackie Olsen (edited 11-23-98).]
david

The Circle

Post by david »

>> and so the circle goes until she must face the enemy of old age and death and make it her ally.<<

Embrace the moment dearly and willingly let it go to face what's ahead. Such are the little cycles of life and death. Death is always there as an ally of Life. Jackie, you know this with your heart...

Congratulations.

david
Van Canna

The Circle

Post by Van Canna »

Jackie,

Congratulations on your sandan rank ! Sandan is a very important rank .....a great milestone , both physical and psychological !

Van Canna
Lori

The Circle

Post by Lori »

Jackie-san,

Omedeto! And my heartfelt congratulations! Our numbers lessen as the path cycles on to new depths of discovery - by choosing this path and increasing our number - you increase the wealth of our style.

Thank you!
Peace,
Lori
Jackie Olsen

The Circle

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Lori, VanCanna, David ... thank you for your heart sounds. Little did I know when I embarked on this path that it would not only transform my physical, but open my heart as well. I am gratefull for the spiritual community and understanding I've found along the way.

Anthony ... ah, yes the spider & the web ... the story of Changing Woman. "she changes everything she touches, everything she touches changes."

Jackie

Return to “Creative Heart & Soul Forum”