Characteristics of a Leader

A forum dedicated to the creative expressions, inspirations, hopes and dreams of fellow Karateka.
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

I was given this a while ago when I first started teaching karate-do. It helped me then put things in perspective as it does continue to do so today:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>*Leaders have the authority of knowledge. To be a leader, you can't just be a talker -- you need to demonstrate that you are deeply involved in whatever you do.

*Leaders are visionaries. They are able to see facts and ideas that others view as ordinary and rearrange them so that they become extraordinary.

*Leaders produce change. They see change not as a threat, but as an opportunity and a challenge.

*Leaders give their all. They are willing to commit themselves to their visions and their success.

*Leaders are good listeners. It is one thing to have a vision and another to empower other people to follow your vision. That doesn't mean the road toward the vision will be smooth.

*Leaders are students. They never stop learning and growing. They study the process and are willing to learn from their mistakes, the mistakes of others, and the mistakes of their teachers. That is how they learn to stop making mistakes.

*Leaders take risks. They create change which requires risks. They are willing to take risks because they can visualize how things can be done better.

*Leaders are ethical. People will not follow you if they don't trust you.

*Leaders are optimists. They have hope. They trust their gut feelings and other people. That trust and hope are the basis on which leaders empower others.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Senseis, teachers, ukes, students .... we must all believe in ourselves. No one will trust you unless you believe in yourself and demonstrate that you have confidence in your vision of the future.

We must be committed to being focused on the evolution of our excellence in our art, rather than being bothered or at the effect of other personalities or events. It is important to me that I focus on solutions to problems and on making things happen ... for in this way I will evolve into greater excellence.

------------------
In Beauty,

Jackie
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Very nice.
Regards, Rich
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Excellent post, Jackie. Everyone should read and heed those words.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Tony, Rich, Allen ...

Thank you.... Jackie

Return to “Creative Heart & Soul Forum”