Only skin of big potato

A forum dedicated to the creative expressions, inspirations, hopes and dreams of fellow Karateka.
Tony-San

Only skin of big potato

Post by Tony-San »

My sensei handed me some very old papers and stuff pertaining to Uechi Ryu. In it I found a documented speech given by Ryuko Tomoyose sometime, somewhere... I really enjoyed this.

<h2>Speech by Tomoyose Sensei</h2>
<HR>
Ladies and Gentlemen
I want to express my hearty appreciation to everyone of you
NAUKA members for providing me the opportunity to make this speech.
We also appreciate your generosity in spending such a big amount of money to invite us to this country. In addition, we heartily thank you for your thoughtful arrangement in making our stay here an enjoyable one. We are feeling as if we're staying in our brother's home somewhere in the Orient. Well, the true Karate is neither for showing to others nor for killing others, but it is to win over yourself (to control your
self) as you know. It is said that "the words are the voices of heart" . I want to put it as "the Kata is the picture of heart". If your heart is in a state of uneasiness, the words you're saying will never sound in peace and in the same token, if your heart is in a state of unsoundness, your Kata will never be performed correctly. It is said that the most important thing in studying Karate is to study it "not in a broad way, but narrow and deep. " In relation to the saying, I want to put forth a legend told by late Master Kanbun Uechi.

Approximately 400 years ago, in China, there was a man named "-Lu-Lu-Ko" who was studying Karate under a master among some other
40 or 50 fellow students. He was an extra slow learner. Other students were learning fast and picking Katas up one after But this poor
"Lu-Lu-Ko" was just performing Sanchin everyday. And so he spent 10 years. For the first 3 years, he had no particular purpose to studying Sanchin, but he admitted to himself that he was a slow learner and
he never envied his fellow students promotions and advancement. Rather, he admitted it as a result of their learning fast.

After 3 years past, he found it more difficult to do Sanchin correctly and he puzzled himself: "how come after being studied for 3 years, it becomes harder and harder to comprehend?" Yet, he did not give
it up. He continued to dig more deeply. The time had gone very
fast and the 10 years passed by. One day the Master called everybody to meet at the dojo. There the Master presented a rope and knotted
it with both his palms and said: "If anybody can untie this rope with
both palms, he will be designated as my successor". One by one, beginning with the higher ranked students, they tried to untie the rope with their palms, however nobody could do it.

Finally it came to Lu-Lu-Ko's turn. The Master said, "you may try too"!
But he said: "No Sir, even they could not do it, how can I do it"? Then every fellow student looked at him half-laughing and urged, "Yea Try Lu-Lu-Ko"! With all his might, he twisted the rope with his palm and it was beautifully untied.

Studying Sanchin alone for 10 years he accomplished the one thing that nobody else could in the dojo. Now let's think about this legend. This Lu-Lu-Ko obviously did not study his Sanchin to show for others. since he could not attract others in doing it. And he, never studied his Sanchin to kill others because he had no confidence at all to do so. And, even he admitted himself he was a damn slow learner. He was being laughed at and even regarded as a fool for studying only Sanchin for 10 years. Now I want to remember this. Through 10 years of studying
Sanchin. he gained a power to control himself. He disregarded what
ever his fellow students said about him. When they pushed him around he could bear it. And finally, he was able to reach the peak which nobody else could.

I want to recommend to you not the broader way but the narrower and deep And I wish that you may accomplish the way of Karate in
a solid, sound mind with a perfect, healthy body.

Thank you for your attention.
Tony-San

Only skin of big potato

Post by Tony-San »

I really got a groove with Tomoyose Sensei's philosphy of digging in Kata. It makes alot of sense to me. This story is great!
SEAN C

Only skin of big potato

Post by SEAN C »

But..But...But....*[SMACK!!!]*...oohhhhhhh.... Image

------------------
sean
gmattson
Site Admin

Only skin of big potato

Post by gmattson »

I've heard the story from Tomoyose Sensei many times. Funny thing... I enjoyed reading it again, just as much as hearing it for the first time.

Thanks for sharing it with us Tony.

------------------
GEM
Jackie Olsen

Only skin of big potato

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Thanks, Tony,

I've heard variations on this speech before --kind of a "Uechi-Urban Legend." It was good to read the complete story directly.

A variation I heard on this was that the student only studied Sanchin. After 10 years he was invited to spar. He protested, saying that he had never practiced sparring before. However, his sensei commanded him to do so anyway. The student went on to become grand champion.

Jackie
crazycat

Only skin of big potato

Post by crazycat »

Hey that was really good Tony I have never heard that story or speach... Thanks.
Tony-San

Only skin of big potato

Post by Tony-San »

Panther,

That is interesting. My first Sensei called the Uechi kata "seirui", SayLooey. Never made any sense until now.

Tony
Van Canna

Only skin of big potato

Post by Van Canna »

Tony,

We heard a similar speech, or maybe this very speech by Tomoyose –Sensei at the Rengokai seminar you and I attended in Florida, remember?

Thing is, it is all “legend” __ excellent, but very Utopian. None of the Okinawans themselves really practice those precepts, [ look at how their brotherhood under master Uechi collapsed like a house of cards] can you imagine selling this to the Americans! Lots of luck!

Then think about it: Was karate really developed with that in mind?

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

Only skin of big potato

Post by Van Canna »

Tony,

We heard a similar speech, or maybe this very speech by Tomoyose –Sensei at the Rengokai seminar you and I attended in Florida, remember?

Thing is, it is all “legend” __ excellent, but very Utopian. None of the Okinawans themselves really practice those precepts, [ look at how their brotherhood under master Uechi collapsed like a house of cards] can you imagine selling this to the Americans! Lots of luck!

------------------
Van Canna
Tony-San

Only skin of big potato

Post by Tony-San »

Van,

I know this. I did only Kata for many many years and then one day I did kumite (not long ago) and got my ass kicked! Image

I simply like the idea of getting into the Kata. There is alot of merit to the analogy I believe...

Tony
Panther

Only skin of big potato

Post by Panther »

Tony-san,

Excellent speech... thanks.

One little transcription note. In Japanese (and Chinese for that matter) "R"s have a quasi-"L" sound. So the person being referred to as "LU-LU-KO" is Ru-Ryu-Ko...

(The difference between Ru and Ryu is almost indistinguishable unless you are very attuned to the language... Just as when spoken -especially as the beginning of a word, the difference between Su and Tsu are almost indistinguishable...)

Just a little FYI...

Thanks again for the great post... I thoroughly enjoy reading these historical documents!
Jackie Olsen

Only skin of big potato

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Van-san,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
We practice Uechi-Ryu Karate-do. I was taught that "do" is spirit way. There is a difference karate that teaches one how to kick *ss vs. one that teaches the development of spirit. I don't believe the two ways necessarily go hand-in-hand. What do others think?

Jackie
SEAN C

Only skin of big potato

Post by SEAN C »

I'm hoping that the more I develop my spirit, the more I can kick ass.

I'm hoping that in learning to kick ass, my spirit will be able to develop.

------------------
sean
Tony-San

Only skin of big potato

Post by Tony-San »

Well, we have to realize that that fighting other humans is one of the many faces of conflict. The world we live in is based on conflict. Karate teaches you to overcome conflict of all kinds.
Panther

Only skin of big potato

Post by Panther »

Olsen-san,

Just MNSHO... Walking the path and taking the journey that is DO when related to the martial arts transcends both "learning to kick @$$" and "development of the spirit". By walking the path, living DO (or Tao as the chinese romanize it... regardless, the pronounciation is virtually identical), a martial artist gains an understanding, a calmness, a confidence... not a confidence that (s)he can "kick @$$", but rather a confidence that it is "OK" to walk away... that it isn't defeat to allow the other person their emotional outburst... that it isn't dishonorable to diffuse a situation filled with insults and vitriol.

Then again, if you can't walk away, diffuse, or allow/ignore... it's always nice to be able to kick major booty! Image

Return to “Creative Heart & Soul Forum”