Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mushin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:08 pm 

Many times I struggle with the concept of moving meditation in Sanchin ... achieving the state of empty mind -- what that feels and looks like. I came across this quote from Takukan Soho, a 16th Century Abbott:

We have to trust in that perfect unadorned perception. The very mind that wants to control things is the mind that's caught up to begin with. When you're caught up, you have fewer possibilities. Your mind can manifest in more ways if you keep it from taking form. Technique is just a means for understanding that. Do you understand what it means to not let your mind take form? When you allow the mind to harden itself into a shape, a feeling, an intensity, technique, or strategies rather than allowing that clear, mirror like perception to arise, that is allowing the mind to take form.

The technique is something you do while you try not to let it interfere with the spaciousness of your mind. If you let your mind take form, it becomes localized. When you feel that happen, Return and come back to a formless state. The more that you can do that, the more you'll be your own person. The less you can do that, the more circumstances will dictate to you who you are at every moment.

------------------
In Beauty,

Jackie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:24 pm 

Takuan Soho, a zen master, supposedly had major influence on Musashi and Yagyu Munenori, headmaster of the famous Yagyu Shinkage School of Swordsmanship. His communications with the latter provided the much of the material in the book, "The Unfettered Mind." What appears "esoteric" actually has some relevance to how we practice/train/fight.

Jackie, nice to see your post, and hope all is well. Image

david

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:13 pm 

Thanks for the information, David ... the way of the sword mirrors our mind perfectly. I have heard teachers describe the mind as a "wind sword."

Yes, all is much better in my arena. I feel as if a veil that has shrouded my existence for the past 2 years has finally lifted and I am able to move on. Thank you ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:11 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by david:
Takuan Soho, a zen master, supposedly had major influence on Musashi and Yagyu Munenori, headmaster of the famous Yagyu Shinkage School of Swordsmanship. His communications with the latter provided the much of the material in the book, "The Unfettered Mind." What appears "esoteric" actually has some relevance to how we practice/train/fight.

Jackie, nice to see your post, and hope all is well. Image

david
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He also introduced to the Court a type of pickled radish that so impressed the Emperor that he named the radish Takuan in his honor.

At least this is what I have read.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.