Loss of a friend

A forum dedicated to the creative expressions, inspirations, hopes and dreams of fellow Karateka.
gmattson
Site Admin

Loss of a friend

Post by gmattson »

What the golf ball was to Shivas has been hinted; what it has come to mean for me remains unsaid. And for a reason. Its power as a symbol is so complex and labyrinthine, so capable of lending itself to the psyche of each and every player, that once an attempt like this has begun to comprehend its "inner meaning," all bearings may be lost. For the golf ball is "an icon of Man the Multiple Amphibian, a smaller waffled version of the crystal ball, a mirror for the inner body; it is a lodestone, an old stone to polarize your psyche with."

The more I ponder its ramifications the more I see that each and every bit of this world reflects the whole.

A friend of mine sees it as a satellite revolving around our higher self, thus forming a tiny universe for us to govern - - a marvelous image really when you think about it, one I am sure Shivas Irons and Seamus MacDuff would have approved of. Our relation to the ball is like the Highest Self's relation to all its instruments and powers; the paths of its orbits reflect those of the planets and suns. The ball is then a symbol of all our revolving parts, be they mental or physical; for a while we re-enact the primal act of all creation: the One casting worlds in all directions for its extension and delight.
"Golf in the Kingdom" by Michael Murphy

I think of my golfing buddy, Frank Scali, as I read this passage. Rest in Peace Frank. . .
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"

Return to “Creative Heart & Soul Forum”