Al Moulton suffers heart attact!

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Post by Guest »

Juts noticed this news...

Hey Allen, I'm glad you're doing well and you sound like your on a great path to recovery. Does your area have a cardiac rehab program? Sometimes you can join one and your insurance will pay for all or a portion of the costs.

Also there is a support group out there called Mended Hearts. They are usually for people who've had a bypass surgery which , thankfully, it sounds like you're not going through. However it's often helpful to talk over your experiences with someone else who's been through it.

I'm actually working on finishing up a video on self-management of cardiovascular disease so this topic has been on my mind for the past couple years.

http://www.americanheart.org is als a good place to look for information on various topics.

And here's a website on DVT - deep vein thrombosis I posted for the women going on the long flight to Okinawa for the tour.
http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/mosb ... bosis.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 000156.htm
I'm sure you'll be back on the floor in no time and hope your recovery continues to go well.
Dana
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Greetings Allen. Great to hear you are with us and in fighting shape.
Thank you so much Rich and Dana Guest, and everyone else who have contacted me in the past week. I didn't realize how many friends I had in the Uechi world until this set of posts and riposts which do a lot to keep the spirits going with full flame. Thanks to GEM for starting the post, and last but definitely not least, thanks Jay Salhanick, my close friend and sensei, for the support you have provided through this ordeal.

Dana,

I am enrolled in a rehab program, have visiting nurses checking up on me now and for the next week or two, am/will be visiting doctors, etc. So there is a good follow-through. I also have a list of restrictions to follow as well as a set of basic excersises to perform, etc.
...bypass surgery...

Fortunately new miracle drugs can replace angioplasty and others, thus prevent major heart surgery much of the time. In my case it worked; I was fortunate. I do have a network of people which comprises a loosely called "support group" as well.

I do not know the cause of the clot -- yet.
I'm actually working on finishing up a video on self-management of cardiovascular disease so this topic has been on my mind for the past couple years.
Your video is of great interest to me, and when you finish it, I'll be interested.

I will check out the URL links later, and thanks for them. The more appropriate URLS I read greatly help searching for answers to prevent and/or diminish the recurrance of same.

Allen
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Allen just poked my nose in here and saw this thread and the news.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
My thoughts are with you, Mary
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Hello Mary.

Good to hear from you, it really is.

Dana,
I read the links and some of the info applies to me. What piqued my interest was the DVT URL as soon as I read "major injuries, or paralysis" and then "other circulation or." Thanx.

Basically, because of circulation issues in my legs from the accident I suffered 22.5 years ago, I have lived under an electric blanket [turned it cold with my legs on occasion] during the nighttime where I also have to keep my legs and feet covered with a warm layer of clothing, else the blanket is often ineffective.

Heating pads also comprise part of my year-round standard daily survival equipment. One example is that when I work out, except for during the heat of the summer, I stand on or sit under on a heating pad during portions of the class to head-off, or minimize if already started, intense back pain and intense foot and leg cramps due to my feet and lower legs becoming icy cold. BTW: Wearing foot covering during class is actually worse for me because when they get cold, they hold that coldness completely around my feet, yadda, yadda.
-- Allen
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

For my friends I write this brief update, straight from my heart...

Results from the doctor's visit today: The road to recovery is being paved.

And again to all my friends, thank you ever so much.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

That is good news Al

Post by gmattson »

Keep us posted as you continue to regain your health.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I want to kick ass, GM, but I have to hold back.

The doc and I have a good idea what done it. A cumulation of several minor "things" were/could have been contributors, but the primary actor(s) were my legs and the inability for them to function properly, thus unable to act in concert in a proficient manner, with the heart's pumpimg mechanism, you know -- unable to follow the beat of the drum. All other tests indicated I am a reasonably healthy individual.

I do way more exercise, almost daily, than the average individual. However it would behove me to get an old-fashioned kitchen timer and sset it for something less than an hour, and then when it went off, hit the PC's save key and walk around or do some easy kata for a predetermined length of time, and then return to the pc. Regular karate classes are out for me for awhile, and maybe forever due to the duration and the intensity [Salhanick runs a very vigorous class]. I'll know much more of what I can and can't do after my next stress test [5 more weeks to go] as part of its purpose will be to illuminate permanent damage caused by the heart attack, if I make it that far.

My diet is a healthy diet, and most always has been, -- For instance, there's never butter [or margerine] in the house, I select lean meats, frying is on the back burner, never use salts, etc., go light on the bread, plus I always consume smaller portions than anyone I know. There is room for modification, however. Diet Coke replaced by the diet Ginger Ale family. Consumption of coffees and teas are way down, etc. I'm examining the diet because event though I profess a good low-calorie one, it is a ripe area in with which to experiment, like the above and to stay away from restaurants as much as possible. The occasional sub, pizza, spare ribs, and fish-and-chips are now a thing of the past. To me, those adjustments are minor, but they could provide significant impact.

Stress management is something for me to be conscientiously aware of. I'm good there too, having mellowed gracefully, in that department, with age. Instead of getting mad, I get even, such as I have trained myself over the years to be laid-back and roll with the punches. Goes a lot easier on the psyche. But now, the good doctors tell me to be more aware of myself and how I react internally to the stupid ignorant narrow-minded fukups who sometimes surround me, realize them for who they are, what they are, don't let them drag me down to their level, and get along with my life. Those occurrences are seldom, because there aren't too many dregs, and that when found, they are often easily avoidable, in the street, in the workplace, in the neighborhood, and yes, even in Uechi too.

So I've pretty much run the gamut on causes and effects, and what is necessary to prevent future occurrences of. Although limited in what I'll be able to do physically for quite some time, GM, I am on the ramp back to health.
-- Allen
Bill Bauknecht

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Great to have you back Allen, it appears, all in one piece. Goes to show the old saying holds true, 'you can't keep a good man down'
Take it easy for a while, get your strength back and let me know when you can come down for a visit. I just bought a bike, maybe we can go riding together. I'm good for about a half mile. :lol: Take care buddy.
Bill
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Hello Bill.

BTW: Thanx so much for the card.

Can go to the Cape starting next week or after.

I'll fill you in on what the good doctor related to me last Thursday.

In terms of a bicycle, Bill, I would never make it, even that 1/2 mile, right now. A short walk will do me good as long as I carry my little bottle of Nitroglycerine wirh me. My bike has a motor on it to do all the work for me.

cya.
-- Allen

Post by Guest »

Bill,
I've ridden that bike path several times down there.
What a nice place to ride.
Fred
Bill Bauknecht

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Allen we'll get together soon. Next week I am once again tied up with a load of test. This artery blockage is of interest to me, they found that the artery going to my left kidney was 95% blocked. Had a stent put in and everything seemed fine but now the kidneys are failing again. They have to find out if the stent is working or whatever else is wrong. Both my disease and the monthly chemo injection cause kidney failure anyway. The thing is, they told me when they found the blockage that I probably had other arteries that were going to be a problem, including the heart. They don't seem to be worried about that at the moment, but I AM. :?: We'll get together soon and take a very slow walk.
Fred, that is a really nice bike path, trouble is I can't ride my bike far enough to get to the damn path. :lol: I use to jog that path every morning.
Allen, you keep up the fight, this will probably add many years onto your life.
Best to you all,
Bill
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Good luck, Bill.
-- Allen
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

To the readers with interest:

Over the past week or so I have received a number of Get Well cards that were originally postmarked to the hospital and finally forwarded to my home address, from readers of GEM's forums.

I again wish to say thank you very much, TO EVERYONE, who took the moment in time to wish me well and sometimes even wished a speedy recovery.

The goodest news is that I am recovering, the mediocrement news is that I am on numerous prescriptions - some forever, and the badder-most news is that I have encountered several interesting roller-coaster rides in the recovery department learning, by trial and error, what I can and cannot do.
-- Allen
Jackie Olsen

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Oh, Al ... So sorry I never caught this thread. By the time you read this, I hope you are well on your way to recovery and feeling much better. Energy sent to you for your continued healing and well being...

Your friend,

Post by Guest »

Return to “Special Needs”