Al Moulton - - - Suffers fatal heart attack!

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

Al Moulton - - - Suffers fatal heart attack!

Post by gmattson »

I received a call this morning from Chong, Al's wife, informing me of his death. Until the end, Al continued to post on these forums. His last email to me was February 2nd:
The latest news isn't so good, George. Actually considering the alternative, maybe it is.

A week ago Thursday I was rushed to the hospital with chest pains ala 911. Spent the weekend there. Beat the Grim Reaper again. Today, received results of the tests. I have permanent damage to the ole ticker. I guess dieting and exercise sometimes don't make any difference. I'm going out for Pork Ribs and beer tonight, F'k 'em all.

cya.

Allen
Al was a very proud person. He didn't complain, even though he lived his last twenty years of his life (following a serious accident) in constant pain. He was a tireless advocate for Uechi-ryu and participated in as many activities, tournaments and classes as possible.

Al is best known for writing a number of excellent Uechi-ryu text books and for his contributions to these forums.

Because of his illness, Al was unable to work for the past year. They didn't have insurance and his health problems drained all savings. Although she didn't ask, I believe she would appreciate any financial help the Uechi community could provide. Please send any donations to:

Chong Moulton
45830 High Way to Heaven Lane
Great Mills, Maryland 20634

Thanks
Last edited by gmattson on Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

My thoughts are with Chong, and all their boys. This is a terrible loss. It also takes time for the wounds of the living to heal.

Let us all celebrate Al for what he did and how he lived his life. There are regrets for time lost, but never for time well spent.

- Bill
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

:cry:
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Mark Weitz

Post by Mark Weitz »

I did not personally know Al but I would like to express my condolences to his family and to all those who knew him. I understand Al contributed much to the Uechi world; a big loss for is family, friends, and the Uechi world.

Mark
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

My sincere condolences to Al's family and friends. I remember the first time I met Al and truly have enjoyed his insights over the years.

I feel profound sense of sadness while at the same time I'm thankful that I was able to receive the great gift that I was lucky enough to know Al.

Truly a loss....
Drew Doolin

Terrible News

Post by Drew Doolin »

This is very bad news, indeed. Al was my first contact with Uechi Ryu outside of Okinawa. My early attempts to post on any forums was on Al's forum. He was kind enough to post my writings and photos when I deployed from Okinawa to Thailand back in '98.

I bought his books and refer to them on occasion now.

Al was certainly proud of his son who serves in the US Navy, if I recall correctly.

I received a PM from him a few months back but didn't realize he was battling his heart.

He is and will be missed. I also send my best wishes and prayers to his family. His dedication to Uechi Ryu is an inspiration to us all.
Semper Fi Al (Always Faithful)
Drew Doolin
d2
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

This is sad. I didn't personally know Mr. Moulton but he PM'd me on a few things, and I feel that on some level I knew him. :( I certainly like/liked him, and will pray for his family.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

I will miss Allen. I only met him in person once. He was always willing to share what he knew, always kind and supportive of my training, of our Art, and of his friends. My deepest condolences to his family.
Dana

A Warrior's Passing
By firelight, he sat, a book upon his knee, a hand
that stroked his beard. Low-pitched, his voice did rise
and fall, like waves upon the sand, and spoke
of warrior's wyrd, of wizards wise and maidens fair.

Friends and strangers gathered round, to hear the tale
so stoutly sung, a tale of hearts so torn and wrung,
of weeping women's wail, of sundry melancholy parts
all wove together in a gleaming battle-shroud.

Or perhaps a sprightly tale; he told those too, and see --
the children laugh at dragon's antics, cheer the hero
who can command grim death to flee, cheer the maid
who has no fear of what lays beyond the lee, but strides forth...

They have no fear, these warriors of days long past;
they know what lasts, beyond the grave, beyond the tear.
So much more than life, oh, save your tears for lesser folk;
this bier is but a passing thing, a momentary strife,

and after, who can say? Yet surely something wondrous
does await, beyond that gate, and shall we weigh our hero down,
with calls and lamentations? Nay, let us rejoice instead,
and send him forth with all our hope, a brave panoply

to clothe his sturdy bones. For he was surely more
than a simple chronicler of the tale; his breath was too large,
for his frail body to enclose. Mix in this grief some mirth.

Despite his human failings, he was more than just a man;
through him deeper music sang,
and for a little while,
a giant once more walked this earth.
:cry:
chef

A very sad loss....

Post by chef »

I had the wonderful ability to talk with Al and spend time with him at the last Summer Camp I attended. We spoke over meals and at other times during camp. What a veritable wealth of knowledge in martial arts and life he had. I am incredibly saddened over the loss of Alan and grieve for his family as well.

You lived life to the fullest, Al, and you will be greatly missed, my friend. Thank you from each of us for pouring into our lives. We love you and pray for strength for your family at such a difficult time.

God bless all those who were close to him,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
SAN-DAI-RYU

Post by SAN-DAI-RYU »

The very bad news, great pain for which we knew,
my pity for its wife, lost family and friends
great of a good member of our Uechi family
Carlos
チャールズ
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Very sad news indeed :cry: .he was one of the first people that I communicated with on the forums, if not the first.......although I never met him in person, I felt that I knew him from the Pm's we exchanged.......I remember reading about his accident, when he had his own website.......he was a truly remarkable man, a real fighter to come through that. sad day
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Very sad news. :cry:
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Sad news indeed. Last we heard, Allen had started a dojo and was to make our Summer camp.

Sincere condolences to the family. :(
Van
Raffi Derderian

Post by Raffi Derderian »

I am shocked and saddened to hear our good friend is no longer with us. I knew Al pretty well. Years ago when I was a bartender, he stopped in often for a pint or two. His heart and soul was pure Uechi. He will be missed.
Raf
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I received a good luck on my tournament and then a congratulations from Al recently and an apology he couldn't be there.
I had just seen him 2 days before he moved and we spoke at length about many Uechi events.
There are two events I will always remember with Al.

One was training with him in his basement in jeans and t-shirts. Each of us showing different stuff to each other and just having a blast for hours.
We went from Uechi to escrima to Kobudo and back to Uechi. So much fun.
We just fed into each others love of the arts.

The other times I will remember will be the sweat and hard work we put in at Vans torture chamber. Training hard and long in that darkened Dojo with all of it's energy will always be a special time. Al always put in so much and with his physical problems it never failed to make you feel like you had more. He was truly an inspiration to us.

I will miss him.

Fred
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Special Needs”