Cane

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

emattson

Cane

Post by emattson »

One Sensei who lead the early morning exercise classes I often attended commented about the usefulness of a cane for self-defense. It's allowable in any situations, even on board passenger jets--as long it doesn't have a hidden sword or such. It's always on hand, ready for instant action, unlike a gun that needs to be drawn. One person I knew who used to live in Boston's ghetto tried to pull out his huge knife during a gang fight and it got stuck.

Some places that give cane defense courses for those with limited mobility:
- American Martial Arts Center -- 36 Spinelli Place, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138.
- Dexheimer train seniors in Oakley, CA cane fighting techniques in a term he call, Cane-Do.

Here's a great article about self-defense using canes:
https://www.metrowestdailynews.com/stor ... 217702007/

I simply Googled these places; I can't vouch for their effectiveness.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Special Needs”