Asthma

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

emattson

Asthma

Post by emattson »

One of the students studying Karate once commented that he used to suffer from asthma as a boy. Thankfully, he outgrew it after reaching adulthood, but asthma often can't be cured; it's a lifelong health issue. One of the principle training in karate is breathing. It would be interesting to hear comments about how people with asthma were able to work out.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
CANDANeh

Re: Asthma

Post by CANDANeh »

Diaphragmatic breathing, exercise along with medications has brought my asthma under control. As a child and young adult it was at times severe and interfered in all aspects of my life.
Through an Asthma Clinic I learned diaphragmatic breathing and utilized it especially in swimming, karate and walking etc.
Ideally it should be used in every breath I take but poor breathing habits are hard to break.
Recently it has been introduced into our Uechi program and it’s literally “a breath of fresh air”. I’m once again more aware and steadily making it an important part of my daily life.
Léo
emattson

Re: Asthma

Post by emattson »

Can confirm. See:
https://neaai.com/asthma/breathing-exercises/

"Sixty-seven asthmatic adults randomly assigned to either deep diaphragmatic breathing training, physical exercise training, or a waiting list control group participated in a 16-week program. Deep diaphragmatic training resulted in significant reductions in medication use and in the intensity of asthmatic symptoms. Importantly, a nearly 300% increase in time spent in physical activities also resulted from deep diaphragmatic training." The trouble is having the discipline to continue. It's all too easy to slip back to a sedentary lifestyle.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1642520/

Thanks for giving specifics, it greatly helps in my research.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Special Needs”