Concentration

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Bill Bauknecht

Concentration

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

When I was in the hospital, sometime after I had the bone marrow transplant, there was absolutely no sleep. I remember laying there, my mind in complete confusion from all the heavy chemo and other meds. My concentration was zero. I couldn't keep one thing on my mind for more that 5 seconds. That's when I turned to Sanchin. I would start Sanchin in my mind, suddenly realize I had lost it and kept trying to get by the opening moves before losing it. I would get through a thrust and step or two and just kept going back to it. I finally made it through a complete short Sanchin. This took hours and hours, night after night of working on my concentration. I was elated.I never did it during the day. Before I left the hospital, I was teaching dan kumite. This is just one of the ways that my training helped me survive. It made such an impact on me that it was the first thing I told George when I got home.I still have concentration problems at times, I can still use my mind and Uechi-Ryu to bail me out.
Bill

Return to “Special Needs”