Hello All

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

moulton

Hello All

Post by moulton »

Hello Bill,

Do you still teach at Sensei Rabesa's dojo?

Allen
Bill Bauknecht

Hello All

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Hello Allen,
Nice to hear from you. I hope you contribute to this page regularly. Art is almost totally retired from his teaching at the school. I teach at the Falmouth dojo mainly for the black belts who need to continue their training. Scott Bowman, san dan, is doing the teaching along with a couple other BB's. As always the school is small. We sold the property at Heritage Place after I got sick. Scott is at the grange in North Falmouth.
Bill
Bill Bauknecht

Hello All

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Hi Anthony,
Thank you for that. We who have been there know that our martial arts training can really bail us out in more ways than one. I at one point in my life was under extreme pressure working my business. I was close to a nervous breakdown. The Dr. put me on valium. That I couldn't accept. Got back into training and never took another valium and I went straight up from that point on. Thanks for your input and also for your offer to help here. Appreciate it, George will tell you, I am completely computer DUMB..
Bill
moulton

Hello All

Post by moulton »

Hello Bill,

I have long since lost your email address address in one of my computer crashes and would appreciate receiving it.

I am not sure how I can donate to this particular forum.

There are many people who have had serious injuries who either continued their practice after or began the practice of karate after. One of the dojo I practiced in that had many black belts, either in Albuquerque or Chicago gave me a few surprises. Most of them were my age or so (at that time around 40ish) and most all were accomplished and competent in their art including free-fighting.

Out of the woodwork, and over a period of time I learned that many of them had recovered from or were recovering from, or would never recover from dehabilitating injuries or illnesses. You'd never know it (And I sure would not have known except they let me in on it one-by-one) the way these guys got out on the mat and fought and did their katas.

Karate's real fight is on the mat of life. That's where you become a black-belt; not in the dojo.

Allen

[This message has been edited by moulton (edited 11-11-98).]
Rich Mooney

xcl

Post by Rich Mooney »

xcl
Last edited by Rich Mooney on Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Bauknecht

Hello All

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Allen,
First of all I am giving you my e mail address right now and anyone else who wants it, welcome. It's QFCK14D@PRODIGY.COM
Second of all, you of all people I know can contribute to this page. I know you have gone through much and here you are. Please continue, it's people like you who can be very helpful to those who need the help. I never ever will sell myself short again, dont you either my friend.
Bill
Bill Bauknecht

Hello All

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Hi Rich,
What a history!! Thank you for that post. I can see where your physical condition pulled you through. How about your mental toughness?? I know my training made be mentally tough as well and really helped me through the rough times when my body failed me. I will post a few experiences on this page. And I WILL see you at the summer camp. (If George let's me attend)
Bill
Rich Mooney

xcl

Post by Rich Mooney »

xcl
Last edited by Rich Mooney on Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Bauknecht

Hello All

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

I know I have met many of you over the years, please bear with me as I introduce myself to those of you who I have not had the privilege of meeting. I have been "around", training and teaching Uechi-ryu for many years. I am located on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma cancer, Feb.of 1996.A 15cm myeloma tumer had pretty well eaten away my left pelvic bone and by this time gotten into my bones, thus bone cancer. I must admit that I went through some serious pain and disablement for about 1 yr. before diagnosis. Some of that was my fault, I advise anyone who will listen that if your body is telling you something, LISTEN! I had a bone marrow transplant Dec. 6, 1996.This saved my life and the reason I am here, talking about it, is that there is no doubt in my mind that my Uechi training pulled me through all the treatment before the xplant and the xplant itself. Average survival for this disease is 24 to 36 months after diagnosis. I am now in my 33rd month and have no plans on leaving for a long time. My body was strong, my mind is still strong and I want to help anyone out there cope as I have. I will be posting different experiences that relate to my training and recovery. I AM NOT cured, there is no cure, but I will fight it as hard as I can for as long as I can. Handicaps can be devestating, especially to active people like us. Let's hear your experiences and how you have coped. If it is a small handicap like mine or something more, please come on in!!. I am able to teach Uechi, I play golf regularly, (most of the time with Sensei Mattson, and sometimes I even beat him,,,no great accomplishment, ahem) and I am a bit active in by business. I am 61 yrs old and I can't accept that either. Thank you for being here, thank you Uechi-Ryu for pulling me through the pits. God bless!!
Bill Bauknecht

[This message has been edited by caddybill (edited 11-11-98).]
Bill Bauknecht

Hello All

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Rich,
Your story should be an inspiration to anyone going through or will be going through the hard times of "coming back". Obviously your strength, determination, has brought you through your ordeal. I understand your relating your training to your recovery.This is exactly the word I want to get across here. One can train many many years and never give much thought to much more than physical conditioning, self defense etc. It takes something more to find out that the mind has developed a self defense system as well. The mind can cure the body. Thanks again for your input.
Bill
Jackie Olsen

Hello All

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Welcome Bill..

Your stories and those others share in these forum are inspiring to me. And I must admit being somewhat humbled when I complain about my mundane injuries or illnesses interferring with training. Your courage and intestinal fortitude are examples of an incredible amount of intent, focus and spirit.

I am reminded of a woman who trained with us up to green belt. One night she was attacked in a parking garage and shot through the neck. The doctors remarked that she had such strong muscles and that was probably what saved her. Then she came down with a rare disease while pregnant. They said surely she and the baby would never make it. She said, I have done sanchin and tested and surely I can beat this, too.

Again, the doctors remarked what a strong will and body she had.

Well, she pulled through that too, had a wonderful healthy baby. Her muscles are very weak and so is her eyesight from the shooting. She can no longer train, but she stopped down at the dojo and told us she practices sanchin to the best of her ability when she's able.

I find this remarkable ... and admire her courage and will, too.

Thanks for hosting this forum and sharing your insights.

Jackie

PS: Bless you Rich and, all healers, too, of both Western and Eastern Medicine for your compassion.

[This message has been edited by Jackie Olsen (edited 11-14-98).]

[This message has been edited by Jackie Olsen (edited 11-14-98).]
Bill Bauknecht

Hello All

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Thank you Jackie, that is a great story. When I went into the hospital I expected to be in there for 4 weeks. The 13 isolation rooms were full and when they showed my wife and I through the wing, I mentioned how young some of the patients were. The nurse told me the average age in the rooms was 25 yrs old!! That was depressing to me. I had lived a good life, but hearing about a 16 yrs old girl going through this really got to me. I of course raised up that average considerably. Lol. As things turned out I tied the record for getting out of the hosp. after this treatment. 18 days. The doctors were so surprised and told me several times that I had taken the treatment like a kid. When I had my first appointment 1 week later I found that the kids were still in the hospital. The doctors said my physical and especially my mental attitude contributed to my reaction to the treatment. When I credited my martial arts training they were very interested. As I go back for my regular appointments, I discuss different alternate
healing methods and they are beginning to accept some of this now. They always express interest and ask questions. I think the doctors have finally realized that for one thing, one's mind and attitude is the most important factor in recovery. I have seen several cancer patients, some friends, who were diagnosed after me and couldnt cope. They gave up and died. This saddens me and it is one of the reasons I am here. To encourage anyone who is having problems coping. One has to face the problem head on, get down in sanchin and MOVE it!!
Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Hello All

Post by gmattson »

I am continually amazed at what the human body can endure and survive. To me, all of your stories exemplify the true spirit of the martial arts. Bottom line, its all about surviving with dignity and respect!

Rich: I am so pleased to see you posting on this forum. You have shown us all a different side of Sifu Rich. . . the human side. . . what makes you who you really are!
These forums can be very impersonal and sometimes when we read a post, we jump to judgement about the person behind the words.
Welcome to our family, Rich.
George
moulton

Hello All

Post by moulton »

Hello Rich,

Glad to make your acquaintance. You've been through a lot, and more than once and have an unextinguishable spirit.

Allen

[This message has been edited by moulton (edited 11-15-98).]
Rich Mooney

xcl

Post by Rich Mooney »

xcl
Last edited by Rich Mooney on Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Special Needs”