Body torture

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Bill Bauknecht

Body torture

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Well I am back from my Myrtle Beach trip. Sometimes I question my sanity and this is one of them. Since I fractured a vertebre, (Or whatever that thing is)in September, there has been aches and pains that told me to cancel the trip. Well I didn't. I took a fall playing golf in Sept. and that, along with the stinky bones the myeloma left me, caught up with me the fifth day. So not only did I come back twice as lame but brought back the flu too. Well, my only consolation is I have the whole winter to heal. I have always given my martial arts training the credit for my doing so well handling the treatment for the cancer. I wonder if spurts of insanity could also be one of the bennies of the training. Now that I think of it, I have been called crazy a few times in my life, several times in the last couple weeks. Just kidding folks. But then I sometimes wonder, was that soft spot in my head put there one night in the dojo? Any one else ever have a similar experience?? I wonder.
Wacko Willy
Allen M.

Body torture

Post by Allen M. »

I hope you are doing better, Bill.

Just like cracking knuckles, right?

How was your trip to Murder Beach, SC?

------------------
Allen, now at his new website www.ury2k.com
Bill B

Body torture

Post by Bill B »

Hi Allen,
The flight to and from Murder Beach was fine. In between?? Well on the first day when caught in the rain, I hit a ball, the wet club slipped out of my hand and went into the drink. I should have packed up then and left,,,but,,,. That was sure a first for me. How ya doin buddy?
Bill
Bill B.

Body torture

Post by Bill B. »

Allen I thank you for the invite. However, right now I'm ashamed to say, a workout is the farthest from my mind. Let me get rid of the bug and then we can have that cup of whatever. At this point I can't even help my wife with the Christmas decorations. (A good excuse huh??) I'll let you know when, soon I hope.
Bill
Bill B.

Body torture

Post by Bill B. »

George, George, I must have failed to mention that the club I lost was my favorite, my 7 wood. Remember??? I'll never recover from that one. As far as our having a little touch, very soon we will do that, however, I think by your last post you have already had enough. Little man that I am, I am proud that I have had the honor to walk with you and many others I so respect and will always look up to. You all have been my inspiration, I know where I would be if I had not taken my first step into the dojo those many years ago. I kid, I make fun, but I am sitting here tonight because of Uechi ryu and all the support I've had from my Uechi friends. I thank you and all for that. Now will you let me beat you in golf??
Bill
Allen M.

Body torture

Post by Allen M. »

I think I feel strong enough to do a workout with you. Want to get together for some Uechi or just a coffee or lunch over the holidays?

------------------
gmattson
Site Admin

Body torture

Post by gmattson »

Just think how boring your Winter would be had you NOT taken the Myrtle Beach trip!!!

The aches and pains will ease up over time, but the memories (including the club lost in the water) will become more vivid.

Let me know when you get to the point where the memories are more fun than anguish. Then we can meet at a local Pub and compare golf and karate war stories over a Guiness!

I know we spend lots of time here on the Forums, debating who's chi is toughest and the best way to prepare for battle, but in my estimation, you are my hero and role model! You have truly showed the rest of us what Karate spirit is all about. You are fighting the toughest enemy possible. . . the toughest battle imaginable. . . and doing so with the same energy, spirit and enthusiasm as you gave your workouts!

You 'the man' Bill!!!

------------------
GEM
Allen M.

Body torture

Post by Allen M. »

Bill, I think it is the season for hot apple cider and rum? Well, forget the cider part.

Godspeed with your recovery. I will pray for that Sunday and have prayers said for you in Korea this weekend.

------------------
Lori

Body torture

Post by Lori »

Bill-sensei:

It is with more than a little empathy that I read your initial post... although my challenges are no where near as serious as yours are - in the very act of sharing your inner thoughts here in this fashion - you are, as George Sensei stated, a true inspiration!

This has been one messed up year for me in my training as well - I wonder if it's age, or what - but it seems like the fabulous rhythm I used to have would barely get a chance to get established, and then something stupid would happen to interfere - most recently the torn ligaments and the herniated disk. I am only JUST beginning to explore my adjusted ability in karate again, but have to be extremely careful lest I end up re-injuring what is just starting to heal - and this time ending up with surgery instead of a long recoup time... it is frustrating as hell in the dojo as I encourage and push my students to work harder and I keep having to pull back and "take it easy" - life is not fair! (I know, mom told me that a long time ago, but it still bugs me!)

Even though my abilities are so limited right now - I crave the time in the dojo - and anything interfering with that adds to my frustration - last week we had the flu make the rounds in our town - people are dropping like flies and I didn't escape this time even though I'm usually immune to that kind of thing... so that knocked me even further out of commission and I had to rely even MORE on people doing for me instead of me doing for them...

So where is the lesson in all of this? I don't really know - only that as much as I am able, I try to look at things from a learning perspective, and try to push away all the nagging thoughts that the longer I'm not working out the farther the "come back" will be - the fact that my workouts are a therapy for my stress and mental and emotional balance - (what a challenge replacing workouts with something else to satisfy that need!) and all the other things that drive me crazy as my physically active self is forced into a state of limited activity.

Then I think about you - your amazing story and your inspiring words - and it gives me something to hold on to - with all your challenges your spirit is so strong - and we are learning from you still! I am finding as a teacher that my regular methods of teaching are severely modified, and at times I truly question what good I am serving my students in this new capacity - yet the response is good so far - and they assure me that they are enjoying workouts and walking away with more than ever to challenge them and work with - I guess all is not lost yet.

So what I am trying to tell you sensei, is that even with these constant challenges - you are presenting to us a true model of a wonderful teacher. In your self-examination and questioning you are actually presenting lessons that can and will apply to everyone in one way or another. Even though I've not had the pleasure of meeting you in person, I consider you one of my teachers.

And for this I thank you!

Peace,
Lori
Lori

Body torture

Post by Lori »

Bill sensei,

It is indeed difficult not to rush things - I receive daily warnings from my doctor not to push it just because I am gaining mobility... though that stubborn streak in me says that she doesn't realize what martial arts training entails - etc. - and so how could she really know how succeptible I am or not to injury? Hearing it from you though drives the point home and I am still trying to keep things as gentle as possible... and the holiday season is a good excuse as any not to spend every available moment in the dojo training.

True enough about life and fairness - and then there's that old adage about what doesn't kill you making you stronger - even though I feel pretty weak technique-wise this is training in mind and spirit which is just as if not more important than the body training - and you are a fine teacher of that aspect of training! Lesson heard sensei...

I read with a smile that your daughter and I share a middle name as well - life is indeed interesting!

Thanks again; I continue to look to you for your inspiration and teaching.

Peace,
Lori
Bill B.

Body torture

Post by Bill B. »

Lori my friend, I can tell you, you are fighting a tough battle. I can relate to your frustration but let me assure you, "Life IS fair", if you take the unfairness and use it to your advantage. You must take the time to heal physically, rush that and your frustration will go on and on. Believe me, I've been there, done that. George Sensei was after me to play golf whenever I felt up to it, I pushed it by hitting golf balls too soon and it laid me up for another month and a half. He kept telling me, when I can play, join him. Well I never thought I would be able to play again. But, I healed, met George, played terribly, but was so elated (and a bit sore), I fell in love with the game again. This will make you a better teacher, YOU will get more out of your teaching. If you can teach in your present condition, think how you will teach when you are whole again. I can still teach, different?? yes, but I can teach. My hit is permanent, you will heal and be better because of it all. Think of all the knowledge stored away for your students. I can't remember for sure where I read this, I think one of George's books, it impressed me so and does even more now. I can't remember all of it but took out the part for me. "As imperfect as I am, I strive to make my students perfect". Take your time physically, turn the unfairness around and use it, it will make you a better student, teacher and person. By the way, my number 2 daughter is named Lori, Lori Ann, and she is a beautiful person in every way. I'm sure you are too, the name fits. To be considered one of your teachers is indeed, my honor.
Bill

Return to “Special Needs”