Listen!

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Bill B.

Listen!

Post by Bill B. »

Dr. X mentioned something in one of his post that reminded me of a subject I have wanted to discuss here and I think it is an important one. There are a couple simple things that I tell people to do concerning their health. One is to keep the body in reasonably good condition, and the other is, listen to your body. I have not always done that and in the long run, it cost me. I always thought my body would take care of itself, you know, you get a bruise, the body takes care of the healing. Break a bone? Get a cast and eventually the body takes care of the rest. But sometimes, the body can not cure itself, can not heal itself and needs help. A flu bug for example, a bad throat, things that need a little boost from the outside. I am still reluctant to go running to the doctor. I finally had to go the first time around but waited too long. This time around I didn't wait and maybe, just maybe, it has given me some more time.I "listened", finally. So where does one draw the line? Everybody is different, no one likes to panic everytime a little pain or itch turns up. Some people run, others have their head in their hands before deciding they better find out why. How do you cope? How many of you feel you may have waited too long, that you should have made the move sooner? I do not want to cause a panic run to the doctor but when the call comes, and it will, how long do you let it ring before answering? How long would you wait?? By the way, I just read that Roger Neilson, Philadelphia Flyers hockey coach, has been diagnosed with MM and is preparing for a transplant. Sure all sounded familiar, same disease, same treatment. God Bless him!!
Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Listen!

Post by gmattson »

Very good point Bill, especially for us macho martial artist!

We tend to believe that because we work out, we are immune from illness and disease.

As teachers, we must be careful not to impart a cultist environment in our dojo, giving the more impressionable student the feeling that Sanchin is something more than healthy exercise.

------------------
GEM
Rhonda

Listen!

Post by Rhonda »

It's all good and well to train hard, but we have to also train smart. Not listening to your body because you feel you must kill yourself for a tournament or grading is stupid. Trust me. Everyone's expectations of you don't matter. You do. Balance your training or else you'll end up scarred like me. I burned out extremely bad and ended up leaving shotokan for 3 years. I've finally come back to karate - uechi-ryu - and I love it. Just try to find the right balance. It's hard to not go all out and try and be better the the guys in the club. I was told I was very good, and I enjoyed teaching and having respect. But it takes more than good form to be a good karateka. It takes respect of yourself and others. A good sensei will recognize when you're going too far. Mine didn't, and neither did I. I hope if you're reading this that you'll head my words and respect yourself and what you're limiations are. If you know what they are, then you can find ways around them. Or better yet, ways to work through them. Make a weakness a strength. Well, gotta go. My instructor is Duncan MacLeod , 6th degree, Truro, Nova Scotia.
Bill B.

Listen!

Post by Bill B. »

A very interesting post Rhonda and goes to the core of what I am getting at. Listen to your body and it will tell you when the light is green and when it turns yellow and then red. Please give my best to Duncan and my friends in N.S.
Bill
Marychan

Listen!

Post by Marychan »

So this is a bit of test...new computer and all...Firstly Bill hope everything is going well with you. This is a great subject...I know I have been hurt and still show up for classes some nights. I guess sometimes we learn to suppress the pain or make less of it than it really is. I have seen people work out with broken bones, slings, casts and everything but crutches (but I'm sure that day will come) So this is basically a test to see if it worked and if so I'll post more later... take care.

Return to “Special Needs”