Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:11 am 

Whacking: The redistribution or impairment of biological functions intended to eliminate intercellular cooperation within a sentient organism.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:13 am 

“It has always seemed strange to me… the things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest, are the traits of success. And while men admire the quality of the first they love the produce of the second.”

John Steinbeck,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 pm 

excellent my friend

Quote:
Every man should own a fine watch, a fine firearm and a fine car at some point in his life! I truely believe this. OK, a G-Shock, A Glock and A Toyota are fine for everyday life and the stuff we come across. But an Omega, a Rorhbaugh and a BMW are toys we should not overlook..........

Life will give you what you ask from it!

8) while im probably more in the G-shock , Glock and Toyota camp , and a believer of function leading form , i identify with this statement , I would rather have 1 quality thing over a hundred meidocre

real quality lasts forever, and most will never get it , being a craftsman probably put me on this path , but time care and detail are something we owe ourselves. Taste and style will differ , but love and attention cant be faked.

But the things truly I beleive we need to invest in is good food , good wine , and good friends , and above all good experiences .... all the rest will fade

Materialistically I think everyone owes themselves a good knife , and a good camera . everyone needs a sharp edge , and a good perspective 8) , and the reminder to cheerish it .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:48 am 

I'm not so much into cars or guns but I do love watches and quality knives. I'll tell you a tale , I had a friend who was a fairly well off lawyer and he had a Tag Heuer watch, fairly expensive but not top of the line, we both used to talk about a watch called a Breitling Navitimer, now these are expensive and he couldn't afford one, but there came a time when he could afford a Breitling although not a navitimer, and he was chuffed when he got it. However , he had a friend who was a jeweller, who told him that the inner workings of his Breitling were made by Tag Heuer.......so he paid a lot of money for a watch case :oops: .........now me, I have an omega that was my Dad's and they are classy, I can understand an Italian liking them, because they are so slim and light and pure class, understated. However, I didn't like wearing my Dad's watch because it upset me.I can afford a good watch but I opted for an "Orange Sea Monster" by Seiko and I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbMLBtwiux8

It's classy but affordable

EDIT

One thing that I also meant to say was about Bowie knives, I was considering buying a Cold steel Natchez Bowie, the cheaper model, but I discovered that it doesn't have a full tang blade and can break. now I'm thinking more of the lines of one of these
http://www.heinnie.com/Von-Tempsky-Bowie/p--10146/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:02 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJnODGPkh5Y

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:46 pm 

“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend”

J.R.R. Tolkein
The Lord of the Rings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:45 am 
Site Admin

Tolkien served in the trenches of WWI. You can take that quote to the bank.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:56 am 

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats... H. L. Mencken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:05 am 

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become your character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:13 am 

Quote:
Courtesy comes from the age when the lack thereof would get you a nice appointment at dawn with the offended party. Sadly we don't have such things today, but good manners as well as appropriate speech are marks of the refined and the cultured, whereas the lack of self control in anything is the mark of a booger picker from the bottom rung of society.
G. Suarez

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:25 am 

Bad manners,personal rudeness, lack of consideration for others in minor matters. Loss of politeness, of gentle manners, are symptoms especially serious _in that an individual displaying them never thinks of them as a sign of ill health but as proof of his/her strength.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:29 am 

Quote:
Our culture is in decline, and manners and socially acceptable behaviors are going the way of the dodo bird. Too many men are rude, cowardly, and craven, and set poor examples for their progeny. Children watch their parents act as though the world is their toilette and other people are owed no consideration at all. Ours is a society of the rude, the spoiled, and the entitled.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:15 pm 

Jason Rees wrote:
Tolkien served in the trenches of WWI. You can take that quote to the bank.

Thanks Jason, he was the epitome of 'Bun Bu Ryodo" Which of itself is an important Budo saying:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:26 pm 

Quote:
"We make war that we may live in peace." - Aristotle

Quote:
"I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger." - Mencius

Quote:
"Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." - Sun Tzu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:05 am 

Keep your head down. Keep your eyes up. Resist the urge to be seen as important or special. Know your exits.~Sarah Conner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next