Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Spider's web
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 1999 4:52 am 

Interesting conversation today with Mattson sensei after the workout at the HUT in Newton [BTW If you have not been there , you don't know what you are missing] ! We talked about cyberspace really being a stage where 'actors' at times really love to grandstand to a world wide audience , sometimes under assumed names and several e-mail addresses to protect their anonymity ! Some of these people are real troublemakers , green belts and or high rank frustrated martial arts indomitable cretins, trying to take on an 8th or 9th Dan on cyberspace with innuendo , quotes out of context and outright fabrications because of deeply disturbed minds jealousy , envy , and 'the man who would be King' syndrome !

Then there are some who are lurkers , have deep fears of ' going public' with a post , terrified of their faltering English , lousy spelling and irrational composition ! So they resort to e-mail 'behind the scenes' to misquote out of context and start trouble !

We decided that the best way to handle these morons is to deny them the opportunity to strut on stage , kick them off the soapbox{ Push the delete button } and into an empty dark room { private e-mail } for an intellectual knife fight one on one and with a poisonous snake slithering on the floor sight unseen ! The more you allow to be drawn in by these losers the easier it is for you to make a mistake and pay for it dearly in time behind the key board !

Van Canna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 1999 7:34 pm 
Van,

I love your phrase "Keyboard Commandos." I couldn't compose myself when I read that.

Allen

------------------
web: http://www.uechi-ryu.org email: <A HREF="mailto:uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 1999 7:34 pm 
[This message has been edited by moulton (edited 01-17-99).]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 1999 12:31 am 

And for a few dollars more :

1] Watch your thoughts ; they become words .

2] Watch your words ; they become actions .

3] Watch your actions ; they become habits.

4] Watch your habits ; they become character .

5] Watch your character ; it becomes YOUR DESTINY ! { Frank Outlaw }

Here are some mistakes of man as according to Cicero , Roman statesman and philosopher :

1] The delusion that personal gain is made by smearing others !

2] Attempting to compel others to believe and live as we do !

3] Neglecting development and refinement of the mind !

THE MIRROR HAS TWO FACES

One side will reflect the you the world has made king for a day !

The other will reflect the man who may have fooled the world down the pathway of years getting pats on the back ! But the fellow whose verdict counts the most is the one staring back from the glass , the one that says you're only a bum if you can't look at him straight in the eye .

Van Canna

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 1999 5:10 am 

J. D.'s GEMS

< My character for
these people is "Uncle Earl - Uncle Earl is that annoying family
member you keep at the end of the table-- "You getting enough bread, there, Earl? . . .What's that, Earl? Kissinger? Black Helicopters? Roswell? Okay,
Earl." > { Key board commandos ? -Van Canna's Editor Ludorum! }

< Earl thinks the
phone is watching him >

< No longer are you Cleatus P. Hurlbutt. You are "SIFU,"
"Sensei," "Shihan," "Master." You get to wear a neat belt. Did I
mention the nifty patches? >

< reality has a way of shattering these delusions.
The "gang-banger" will not care that you are SIFU Grand Master
Junior Shihan . . . of Doom! >

< They want to delude more to
populate their fantasy world with more sycophants. >

< No one on any of the forums has cornered the wisdom market. We
can all learn. >

< There are rules. While we can have some fun and tease a bit, the
purpose of the criticism is constructive. > --J.D.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For some of you out there playing the " game " [ behind the scenes ] ---yeah you know who you are ; remember that insult is the deadliest of all sins ! Here are a few more gems :
< There is an insolence which none but but those who themselves deserve contempt can bestow , and those only who deserve no contempt can bear > Fielding .

< The greatest part of mankind are more sensitive to contemptuous language , than to unjust acts ; they can less easily bear insult than wrong . > Plutarch .

< The way to procure insult is to submit to them .-A man meets with no more respect than he exacts.-> Hazlitt !

< He who puts up with insult invites injury .-> Proverb

Yes , reality does shatter illusions ; I would like to invite some of those morons to spend a few months as my guests in the southern Italian countryside { Sicilian / Neapolitan } where they could feel free to ply their trade ! Then watch them melt in cold sweat for days on end{Their great 'karate skills' not withstanding} while awaiting the sudden 'deadly hammer' behind the polite smile and the 'icy glare' !!

Van Canna