Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 1999 12:35 am 

hmm......In a crowd? No family to protect? Nope, not a good place to fire a gun. Not even in the air, as it will come down somewhere. If a loved one is threatened though, that is a different story.

A gun in the face? Well, I'd need to actually experience it to find out what I would do, but most likely I'd surrender my wallet. Let us hope that I never have the need to find out what I'd really do.

Statistically, murders are way down in Richmond since no parole went into effect. The really bad guys are going to our new prisons and staying there. However, the level of robberies at banks, fast food places, mall parking lots is way up. This current trend is a result of felons looking for easier pickings in the suburbs.

The banks and stores have policies of no resistance which encourages this, and police on TV likewise advise people to be passive. And of couse, people insist on going to automated tellers late at night. Too many people are very nieve!

Personnally, I think the police should encourage everyone to carry.Felons should think everyone has a weapon. Advise against being sheep. It would not be long before felons were all moving to safer and friendlier climates.

Late last year, a citizen stopped a robbery of someone he did not know by going after the bad guy with the handgun he had with him. He stopped the man and had him lay on the ground. He was quickly surrounded by a group of young angry males, initially uninvolved, and had to threaten to use his gun to keep them at bay and protect the victim, himself, and hold on to the ne'er do well. Police came barely in time to control the situation. The good samaritan then was taken in for firing his gun..............
The public support was so overwhelming that the chief of police got on TV/radio and stated that there was a 'misunderstanding' and no charges would be filed against the good samaritan. We need more of this.

At jewelry stores in the area it is likely all employees are armed. A pair of robbers from out of state did not know this and attempted a robbery of one such store two years ago. They both died in a hail of gun fire from the employees. So, banks get robbed in daylight, but jewelry stores do not.

Oh well, off of the soapbox.

Rich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 1999 2:38 am 

Tracy-san makes a good point [ again] about the necessity to familiarize yourself with all types of handguns before even thinking disarms ! You must see in your mind how the gun works before you move against it ! And once you get a hold of it in a disarm , if you are lucky, it's not over ! You will be charged by the punk you just disarmed and now you have two choices : 1] you shoot him with his own gun [ must know how the gun works to do that ] > 2] you disable/ unload the gun before you get rid of it as you defend against the charge [ need to know how to ] ! If you let the loaded gun get away from you , your assailant or his accomplice will recover it and shoot you !

< General point, this is hard under pressure if not impossible. Practice
but know the realities of what's being discussed.....> { Tracy-san}

Amen -brother !

Rich , I am not sure about the slide/firing pin of the glock ! It will be the last thing in my mind during a disarm !

< Another question for all of you. The handgun instructor I plan to
meet with next week has many types of handguns. Are there any
types that you believe I should try if only to get a broader
experience? .357 Magnum? PPK? Colt 1911? >

You should try them all for familiarization ! The Famous deadly force instructor , John Farnam , in his combat course , presents you with a scenario where you have to move from gun to gun under stress , figure out how to clear out any programmed jams while taking cover and fire at tactical targets solving a problem you have been assigned to !

You attempt a disarm and a bystander gets shot ! Who is liable ? Attorney J>T> might want to jump in , but usually > The test is whether you acted reasonably under the circumstances[ any of your training will come under serious scrutiny] ; measured against the standard of what an ordinary reasonable and prudent man would have done under similar circumstances ! Generally both you and the assailant will be legally liable for negligence ! But here is the kicker : In Mass. There is a joint tortfeasor contribution statute which calls for equal shares by all wrongdoers even if anyone of them is only 1% at fault ! So technically in the above scenario , if you were found only 1% at fault by a jury , you would have to contribute 50% of the plaintiff's damages !

Here is the double kicker : the assailant will be a looser and judgment proof ; you will have the deep pockets [ lots to lose] ; the plaintiff's lawyer will sue you directly for the whole amount of damages [ he doesn't have to sue the assailant ] ; if you are found to be that one percent at fault then you pay the entire damages ; and it will be up to you to recover the 50% from the assailant ---good luck !

A gun in the face ? Crowds ? Good Samaritan?

Someone gets the drop on you ,in your face or not , for robbery purposes, you don't go for the gun , you just pray and give up your money ! Go for the disarm if you are close enough and sense you are about to die or if the punks are telling you they will be raping your daughter while making you watch !

Crowds? Same criteria applies ! None of them will come to your help !

Good Samaritan on a robbery attempt ? Don't you even think about it ! Move only if someone is about to be raped or beaten senseless !

------------------
Van Canna