Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 1999 1:01 am 

To all: I have a soon to be 18 year old daughter with a car (also very independent and cocky). So far I've kept a fairly short leash on her but she is lobbying for a later curfew and more driving priviledges when she turns 18. She is verrrrrry bright, but equally nieve ( I was never like that when I was a kid!).

We are going to 'expand' her priviledges, but first she must complete a task for me - I purchased her a paperback copy of the 'Gift of Fear' and she must read it and give me a written book report on it before her birthday. She has accepted the challenge.

My wife thought the subject book was one of my 'martial arts' books (yuk). When she saw the #1 Best Seller logo on the cover she also became interested. For her I purchased the hardcover version (and some flowers) for Valentines Day. If this ploy works with my daughter, I will also apply it to my soon to be 16 year old son who wants to drive my '66 Mustang.

The family that reads DeBecker together, survives together.

While on my shopping spree (Amazon.com) I also picked up the cassette version. Over time, I'll play this to our students at the gym/dojo. An ambitious plan, but I'll give it a try.

Rich

[This message has been edited by RACastanet (edited 02-12-99).]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 1999 3:29 am 

Rich-san,

Most excellent gift! Much better than candy - a gift like that could turn out to be a gift of life...

I am following similar lines with my teenage (and cocky) daughter - she has absorbed the book quite well - and we have had some very good discussions about it - makes me feel (a little) better about her stretching her wings...

Peace,
Lori

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 1999 6:31 am 
It is required reading in my family as well.

I also recommend it constantly.

Rick