Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Can't Fight "It"
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 1999 3:54 pm 

Yesterday at the D.I.T. training session we began the process of training the practioner to accept and deal with the "Chemical Cocktail" as opposed to the regular denial of decreased performance during real threat situations. With a certified Police Trainer paraphrasing Bruce Siddles work "Sharpening the Warriors Edge", all 3 Instructors geared their lesson to the single focus and lack of periferral vision associated with a real threat scenario. As well as cutting the responses to the limited awareness and some of the "possibilities" that may avail during that time utilizing concepts from Wing Chun, Jujitsu, Arnis, Kempo, Uechi and Kyusho, attendees drilled for 4 straight hours.

This was just a beginning and the with future segments developing off this concept from empty hand to weapon responses.

P.S. Kyoshi Canna, please do not think for a minute that your lessons have fallen on deaf ears or are not greatly appreciated, as they breath real life into our studies. It is those that give willingly and extensively that make the Arts the invaluable way of life that it is.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
http://www.erols.com/kyusho

[This message has been edited by Evan Pantazi (edited 02-28-99).]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 1999 10:54 pm 

Evan san,

What is "D.I.T."?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 1999 12:56 pm 

David San,

D. (Dynamic - not prearranged)
I. (Integrated - multiple Arts or methods)
T. (Training - sweat)

This was a concept I developed after a dinner with Professor Wally Jay and Dillman Sensei. It was after a seminar when things were more social, the Professor told "Soke Dai" (Inheritor of the system) Ed Melaugh and myself that we, (Our age group) would be the next generation to take the Arts onward. And as such it was our responsibility to further what the prior generations evolved. What he suggested was that MeLaugh Sensei and I get the Arts of Small Circle Jujitsu and Kyusho/Kempo to be interchangable and an integrated whole (if you will). Dillman Sensei agreed and furthered it by saying the three of "them" (Professor Jay, Professor Remy Presas (Arnis) and Dillman Sensei) all borrowed and integrated the others methods and concepts into their own and made everything flow and work much more efficiently.

OK small request, so after 2 years of working the concept and brining on board a "Master" of Arnis under Professor Presas as well as Wing Chun, Sifu Alix Lavaud, (some of the fastest and controling hands I have ever seen), we came out with the training sessions. We all have a base in Wing Chun and our respective disciplines all flow together due to the commonality. Our first session was just a glimpse at the flow from method to method, the second (and future sessions) being the beginning of a building focus. The reality factor of stress, environment, body physiology ect. are all taken into account (missing from most trainig regimes). This also cuts the "Sensei knows all barrier" by having the 3 Instructors flowing with, enhancing or giving alternate approaches to the training.

I believe we are on to something as most practioners have trouble seeing that all Arts are based on the same principle and physics, as well as San Chin is Wing Chun which is Kempo which is Jujitsu which is any other Martial Art, just different Gi's and approaches.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
http://www.erols.com/kyusho

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 1999 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Great approach Evan. As seniors, we must honor the tradition of what we do, but must be careful not turn the tradition into mind numbing ritual.

This year's camp should be real interesting!!!

------------------
GEM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 1999 3:18 pm 

I worked with Bruce Siddle awhile ago when he was formulating his pain compliance technique. He is definitely for real. If you have the chance to work with him, don't let it slip by. btw it was at a summer camp so keep sponsoring the camp by participation. In another thread, cecil talks about 'jaded master'. This is a great place to re-introduce these 'jaded masters' plus unknown teachers who have a tremendous skill to offer. Bruce Siddle at that time was known only to people who were looking for his particular service, folks like the FBI, DEA etc...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 1999 12:45 am 

Evan san,

What you describe is very exciting as well as challenging. (More mentally/emotionally than anything else I think.) The fact that three big names, each deservedly respected in his own right, are willing to lend their support is a big step. Wish you the best in the endeavor and look forward to learning more at camp.

david