Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 1999 1:31 am 

Van sensei et al: My long awaited Titanium S&W Centennial has finally arrived. Verrrry nice. Verrrrrrrry light. I've not fired it yet but will hopefully get to the range on Sunday if it stops raining.

I purchased the rosewood handle model and the rubber replacement grip as well to see which one I like best. The wooden handle slips in and out of a pocket very nicely, maybe too easliy in fact. The rubber grip is fatter and better to hold onto but it does like to snag the pocket a bit.

No question that the Ti is small and light enough for a pocket. For that matter, small enough to fit anywhere. Without a hammer however, it may be difficult to retain in a pocket or holster. What do you suggest? Where would you carry it? Questions, questions.

Regards, Rich

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 1999 2:23 pm 

Check out the pocket holsters from Kramer, they will keep your centennial in place. They have a 'finger' on the base of the holster that keeps the holster in the pocket when the pistol is drawn. In the warm weather, I always find myself going back to the fanny pack (get a model specifically designed for guns. They have reinforced straps and locks that keep the bag from being ripped off your person. This is an issue with bags, mugging, snatching, fighting etc.). If you have to remove the pistol often (work for example), check out the alessi line of holsters. They use a reverse clip method that is excellent. Snap straps are hard to use behind your back. Best advice I can offer is think about the scenario that you are most likely to carry in. If you are a police detective your mode of carry will be different than if you work in an office in MA. Once you figure out the most likely scenario of carry then you can figure out how to carry to achieve your goals.

later

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 1999 6:29 pm 

Rich & Tracy,

One of the disadvantages of living in a warm weather area is the lack of additional layers of clothing for concealed carry.

Living in a popular tourist destination, everyone who has a fanny pack is fair game for the cretins who practice their brand of drive-by or walk-by purse snatching. One woman was severely injured a few months ago when she was dragged along side the perp's car after getting tangled up in the bag's straps.

Also, in some jurisdictions, the police have taken to examining fanny packs randomly in hopes of catching people illegally carrying without a CCW. I don't know how legal this tactic is, but it sure doesn't sound it.

An inside-the waistband holster is fine if you wear your shirts untucked, but what to do if you wear them tucked? I have noticed an ad for a leather vest which incorporates a concealed gun pocket (Coronado Leather). The only apparent problem I can see is that you must now use a cross-draw which may be somewhat slower than a straight draw.

Have you heard about "thunderwear"?

Moe Mensale

[This message has been edited by Moe Mensale (edited 03-05-99).]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 1999 2:40 pm 

You hit right on the main drawback of a fanny pack. The other drawback is that for a fast draw it takes two hands. You can draw with one but the action is substantially slower (more awkward and fumble prone).

Milt Sparks co. makes a summer special holster that has a thin laminate layer. This layer is protection from persperation when using IWB holster. There are holsters make that have the belt loop sewn to the bottom of the holster. This allows the shirt to be tucked in hiding the pistol. The only signature showing is a loop disguised to look like a key holder loop. The drawing method is much like the 'hackthorn rip'.
The pager pal type of holster seem to work well for smaller pistols.

I'm not a fan of the Thunderwear although I hear that they work well. I find them somewhat uncomfortable. In your scenario, I would investigate one of the above options, ankle carry, or a fanny pack that is reinforced. If you choose the fanny pack method make sure the strap is reinforced, when carrying turn up your awareness, and you are licensed. This would seem to eliminate the problems you brought up.

later moe,
tracy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 1999 2:42 pm 

oh, btw

There is a company (I forget the name but I will look it up) that makes jackets, vests with built is supports and holster. The holster is an inside pocket. The result is no sagging or signature marks.

Also, Kramer makes a shirt that has a tear away opening allowing access to undershirt/holster combo...