Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The scandal mongers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 1999 4:02 am 

To : Advocatus Diaboli

Greetings and salutations !

" The 12th century Jewish thinker Moses Maimonides , called scandal mongers " the evil tongue " and described insinuations that sow suspicions without shedding light on the implied offense as " the dust of the evil tongue" ! The dust of innuendo and calumny has always traveled fast ! "

On behalf of my client , I am scouting the globe for intellectual gladiators to slaughter the "evil tongues" in the arena and to throw some , still alive , to the wild beasts before the cheering " amatores" gracing the Coliseum !

In particular , I have been seeking Don Giovanni Pico , " count of Mirandola and Concordia , an adviser of the Medici, once described as < precocious disputant and aristocratic mystic , enchanted scholar.> In 1486 , Pico challenged the world to a public debate upon 900 thesis in Rome , but so many seemed likely to be paradoxes against the true faith , too brilliantly defended , that the Pope forbade the contest .
According to E>V>Lucas , " he dabbled in black arts , wrote learnedly in Mosaic law , was a serious poet in Latin , and in everything he did , he was steeped in Renaissance culture and gave most of his fortune to a fund for marriage portions of penniless girls " !!

In my nightly raids of this website I have taken notice of your client's swelling fame for his craft , intelligence and eloquence ! Could he be Don Giovanni Pico in disguise as Dr. X? If so , he has my invitation to join the Ludi and "coax" the scandal mongers in the arena to make " the amende honorable" i.e., a formal and humiliating acknowledgment of offense and apology made to another , originally in reparation of injured honor ! Such "infidels" should appear with bare feet and head , dressed in white and carrying a torch !

With saturnine smiles,

Editor Ludorum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 1999 7:02 am 

To: Editor Ludorum

Most Worthy Keeper of Honor and Decorum,
Merciful Defender of the Meek
Dread Malleus Malefcarum and Scourge of the Pretentious

Sir,

Our beneficent doctor stands humbled and unworthy of the laurels you offer him. Whilst he may aspire to the status and skill of great Don Pico, he is to him as the grain of sand is to the desert.

Nevertheless, he welcomes your efforts to root out and expose those that bear false witness, that act only to increase their ego, whose sense of honor they received from the unspeakable denizens that inhabit their foul nethers, and he is prepared to stand with you to put them that shame to, The Question--ordinary and extraordinary.

--Lord High Executioner of Divine Justice:

Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 1999 3:32 pm 

To = Advocatus Diaboli

Sir ,

I note with regret on another forum your client's displeasure with decorum!

Could it be he has zeroed on a target ?

My Emperor has commissioned this humble servant to choose , for immolation sacrifice before Diana and Mars , a hapless victim who fits the motto of " if it bleeds it leads"

My lord Caligula has demanded that I personally read aloud to the flesh about to rot in the teeth of the wild beasts the following graceful farewell :

< In the destiny of every moral being there is an object more worthy of God than happiness . __It is character_ the product of probationary discipline ! Now it is time for you to be and continue poor young man; rich in fraud and disloyalty; without place or power; bearing the pain of stunted intelligence; wrap yourself in your own torment of past failures; seek a friend upon the shores of hell you are about to enter; take one last look at your gray tunic of dishonor ; bless God and DIE >

Do you have such a prospect ??

After me , the deluge ,

Editor Ludorum

[This message has been edited by VAN CANNA (edited 03-07-99).]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 1999 7:27 pm 

QUOTATIONS

Quotations , sir, are a good thing ; there is a community of mind in them ; they are little sparks of holy fire enkindling the spirit in the actuating of passions and to employ and hallow a fancy !

The great Disraeli said that opening quotations are a symphony preparing the minds to harmonize !

To select well among old things is almost equal to inventing new ones and an apt quotation is as good as an original remark !

" selected thoughts depend for their flavor upon the terseness of their expression , for thoughts are grains of sugar or salt , that must be melted in a drop of water " ___J.P. Senn

All your swans have turned to geese ,

Editor Ludorum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 1999 1:20 am 

Honored sirs:

Permit the intrusion of a confidante of the honored Numa late of the Regia and headquarters of the Pontifex Maximus, currently presided over by the lord Caligula. Myself formerly hailing from the region of Cumae, and ensconced in the traditions of Delphi, do relate the railings of the high priestess of Artemis (known to you Romans as Diana) who is greatly dismayed at the foibles of slinking mortals lacking in respect and martial dignity.

The prophecies of Deiphobe, Sibyl and daughter of Glaucus, (priestess of the temple of Apollo and Diana) have been written upon the leaves which are now scattered upon the winds by errant mortals irreverant in their tread upon the sacred caves of the temple...causing her heart to swell in wild fury and with her cries, inspired by the breath of the gods the Cumaean Sibyl chants her terrifying riddles from the innermost shrine of the cavern truth resounded and enveloped in obscurity - and Apollo has applied the reins to her raving... Now the hundred mouths of the cavern have opened wide of their own accord and bear the responses of the prophetess to the breezes.

So now upon Aventine Hill the Sibylline books have been consulted for guidance against the onslaught of invading cretins carrying banners of false witness, and would walk within these walls in pernicious disregard to seekers of the truth.

The Saturnalian time of acceptance, staying of executions and suspension of war draws to a close with the demise of the winter months, and when the sacred war dance of the Salii begins in honor of Mars / Silvanus - and it is the hour requiring the ritual sacrifice of the goat before the prophecies from the inner sanctuary of the Pythian priestess can be uttered forth in a frenzy of inspiration - her incoherent ravings can then be transcribed into prose within the halls of the forum.

Having detected the necessary trembling in the limbs of the goat, it is ready for sacrifice, and as may be heard in the song of the Baccantes:
<blockquote>"Oh sweet upon the mountain
This dancing and the singing,
The maddening rushing flight.
Oh, sweet to sink to earth outworn
When the wild goat has been hunted and caught.
Oh, the joy of the blood and the raw red flesh!"</blockquote>

Heraclitus spoke: "Not even the sun will transgress his orbit but the Erinyes, the ministers of justice, overtake him."

Saeth the priestess: May the cretins be haunted by the Lemures (wicked spirits of the dead) on their journey!

To those who would immure themselves from such evil - care well for the fires of Vesta and guard thy wagging toungue! Listen to Faunus, grandson of Saturn and prophet who speaks to men in their dreams - do not confuse him with Silvanus, who is actually the alter-ego of Mars (son of the ancient Roman goddess Flora, consort of the West Wind) - and out of his ancient Roman forest glade will avenge the slights upon the loyal legion.

Blessings of Halcyon days,
Egeria Carmentis of Camenae

[This message has been edited by Egeria Carmentis (edited 03-07-99).]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 1999 5:36 am 

Greetings and salutations oh Egeria, Roman nymph or goddess and adviser to Numa Pompilius, legendary Roman king ! Amazon of unusual intellectual strength !

Silvanus asks : is there no balm in Gilead ?

He wanders if you would award the village idiots the gift of the shirt of Nessus , the centaur who gave Dejanira , Hercules ` wife a garment dipped in poisonous blood !

How to crush the lotus eaters between Scylla and Charybdis making mischief as Dido , the Queen of Carthage !

Hoc opus, hic labor est ,

Editor Ludorum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 1999 8:13 am 

Honourable Editor Ludorum,

Just having returned from a summons by the Hierophant to participate in the celebration of the Eleusinian mysteries, I note your kind salutation and pause to respond to your inquiry...

Nay Silvanus! There is no balm in Gilead! (But I will email Elijah and see if he can put in a good word for you...)

The gift of the shirt of Nessus shall be reserved for those of utmost treachery - should they fail like Tarquinius Superbus to heed the gracious offer of the Sibyl, thrice distained!...they too will find themselves upon the banks of the river Evenus!

Beware the planctae oh eaters of lotus!

From the Epopteia I can only reveal that your client has been advised to rest within the glade of Latmus and await the visit of Selene - for the mystic kernoi is flowing with dulce de leche...

Such are the Legomena from the Anactoron,

------------------
Egeria Carmentisof Camenae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 1999 2:24 pm 

Oh nymph Goddess Egeria ,

Greetings and salutations .
Selene , goddess of the moon , daughter of the Titans Hyperion and Theia ? We fear her gift for lulling her lover into eternal sleep so he would never leave her .
A stormy petrel?
But if there be not balm in Gilead , my client , in the slough of despond , advises he will dispense with Olympian anger and humbly prepare for the crossing of the Rubicon in search of rosetta stones and to drink from the sweet fountain of Hippocrene .

The peripatetic pecksniffian jackanapes are about to face their pons asinorum in Homeric laughter from Dan to Beersheba in their misguided beliefs of knighthood errant !

Before they are slaughtered by the "beast" , in our constant quest to out-Herod -Herod in spectacular violence before the 'amatores' in the Amphi -theater , we are in need of drinking exulted knowledge from your Pieran spring !

Aliquando bonus dormitat Homerus ,

Editor Ludorum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 1999 3:11 am 
Site Admin

testing... I'll delete this message once we get things fixed.