Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Someone asked. . .
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 1999 7:59 pm 

Tracy Rose asked: I wonder what would happen if we Americans ever got our stuff wired right???

Now I think we're headed on the right track!

Mind you, I'm not condoning the recent disappointing decisions made by the Shohei seniors on Okinawa. Simply, as Tracy asks, I wonder how (un)likely these things would be if we stood more united here in the States?

Each year, I ask Mr. Uechi why the Okinawans just can't "kiss and make up"? Each year he asks me who among the feuding factions within us is willing to do the same here in the States!

Please go back and read my last "What to do?" post. Think about it. Do not react hastily to that which we do not and can not at this time fully understand.

Nor do I have all the answers. Simply, I can tell you that this is not just about one man (although I do feel that a central figure is behind the devisiveness on Okinawa).

Think about your friends who are Replublicans, or Jews or Tae Kwon Do! Good guys? Sure! But how many among us follow them to the political rally, the temple or the dojang?!

Lines have been drawn. It doesn't mean we can't be friends. It simply means that when the PARTIES meet, our group will welcome "outsiders" while theirs won't. That's their prerogative, is it not?

And now that we know this, what can/do we do? Hate? Whine? Bury our heads in the sand? Not me. I'm looking for answers.

I'd like your help!

Respectfully,

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 1999 11:48 am 

I realize that this is not for me to say, not being Uechi, yet experience with the harsh and tumultuous politics of the Kempo/Kenpo (you wouldn't believe this bunch), world have given me many years of experience. As I chose or was forced from organization to organization I came to realize one important truth.

Find and support a leader who:

1. Loves the Art.

2. Is on a grassroots level with all the students Kyu to Dan.

3. One that will stand by his people and attempt all that is possible to further their education.

4. One who is not only about money or the size of his organization.

5. One open to all styles as a study in similarities and brotherhood of Martial Artists.

6. One who actually displays the Humility, Honor, Compassion and general Attitude of a Genuine Martial Artist.

7. One who is willing to try time and time again.

8. One with open arms.

9. And one that is looking to the future of the Art not just the past, as we need to look just as much in front of us as behind.

You have him right here in the US. Yes the roots are important but they are still there, they won't disappear (we can't be with our forefathers yet they are still with us). But you have when you have one such person that has done, for his most treasured Art, more than anyone else in these modern times, why look further.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
http://www.erols.com/kyusho

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 1999 2:17 pm 

Every child eventually grows up and becomes a parent themselves. They move on and establish homes of their own. They still love and honor their parents and have their parents involved with the raising of the grandchildren but they take responsibility for the child's rearing. It is time for American Uechi to grow up...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 1999 9:36 pm 

Dear All:

My two cents is not really worth very much here. I am of the Shohei-Ryu thread, but I certainly bear no ill will towards Kanmei Sensei or GEM Sensei. Gem Sensei assisted me through some fairly difficult times, similar to those faced by Mike M. and addresed on another forum. (We both had the same starting instructor)

This necessitated a "re-education" when after seven years, I parted company with that original instructor.

The point being that, in my case, for what it's worth, my "Uechi" politics are largely a matter of where I was studying when "the balloon went up". So I say with some feeling that I have not the slightest personal ill will towards "other Uechi pratitioners".

I do not intend to stop studying Dan or Kyu Kumite and always hope that this is the largest difference between the "threads".

I encourqge my few students to cross train and have, in fact, promised them to re-teach then DAn and Kyu when the opportunity arises.

As I said on another post, my only regret about having a NAC dojo around the corner from my home is that I do not have enough time or energy to drop in an see that schools instructor more often. I practice "Dan" and "Kyu" when I do visit. He is certainly welcome as are any of his students and I would do whatever I could for any of them.

Lack of time is a killer more than politics, at least where I am concerned.

Is this "grown up" enough?

The decision of the Shohei-Ryu "seniors" seems sad.

But I was not consulted, nor should I have been.

JOHN T

------------------

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 1999 10:59 pm 

We wish to report that J.D. is still ruminating on this. We left him this morning in his room cluching his well-worn Pulp Fiction videotaper and muttering, "Shut up and train!" This is, we think, progress.

Nevertheless, through sign language and finger-paint between the electric shocks, we have ascertained some of his concerns.

John-san:

We are encouraged to hear from a OKK person because this all involves all of us. Quite a number of OKK Senior-seniors in the US and in Okinawa still call the style "Uechi." Indeed, everyso often J.D. growls in an eastern european accent to the effect of, "Master Uechi never did it that way!" in reference to new kata or changes.

New kumite--it does sort of grow on you--is an exercise. It does not replace the others. Indeed many have talked about their own kumite. We must confess that the attempt to make a new style is rather artificial.

When we remove the leather straps, J.D. will work with a teacher who comes from a rather independent line. One of the minnows will travel to another state. By happy coincidence, one of the really, really ancient Americans who did train with this group has students there. Be that as it may, he asked about traveling to another dojo. The students all cautioned him to just keep opinions to himself. Learn what they teach him. If it seems "wierd" now it may not a few years later.

Indeed, when J.D. started, there was, even we will admit, some cordial teasing about "differences." Certainly some may result from J.D. particular style that reminds one of a lame tap-dancing oyster. Others were application: does the nukite go to the ribs, flank et cetera.

However this all develops, and until J.D. recovers sufficient control over his faculties to pontificate in the manner expected, we recommend ignoring the problem. Americans should do as they do, which is to train with good teachers. They should travel to Okinawa and train with good teachers as good students. They are not there to abase themselves and the good teachers have "open dojos."

Good teachers do not look at the patch, but what is behind it.

--Ed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 1999 1:42 am 

JD SAn (or rather ED. Sama):

As I said (which is a grammatically incorrect phrase) I hope to keep training with Kyu and Dan, and occassionally get the latest sense for later interpretations of these from "my friend around the corner".

FYI I think the OKK people tend to emphasize the "hip" snap with hand technique a bit more than what I was previously used to. I am informed that Sensei Toyama's interpretation of form is considerably more "fluid" than what either group might be used to.

As yet, none have deemed it proper to amend any of the "Eight" kata or add to them. although intrepretations do vary.

Far from being upset, I am intrigued to see some valid different interpretations and have run across only once one that was outright "wrong" slant of Sanchin which was by an OKK Senior and rather quickly damped by the Seniors.

I understood at one time that another kata was to be added and some weapons forms added as "electives" but the Kata has not appeared. If it did, I will be happy to say that learining a new kata would not bother me, if there is someone around to teach it properly. In "Isshinryu" after all, kobudo forms are required and are not electives.

One kata every 50 years or so may produce a widening "split"-but it hasn't happened yet and it hasn't yet been decided which Kobudo forms would be electives, or whether everyone will be free to choose (an) elective(s) from the list of traditional okinawan Kobudo forms. (This latter is not a bad idea anyway, if one can find an instructor).

JOHN T

------------------

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 1999 1:42 am 

JD SAn (or rather ED. Sama):

As I said (which is a grammatically incorrect phrase) I hope to keep training with Kyu and Dan, and occassionally get the latest sense for later interpretations of these from "my friend around the corner".

FYI I think the OKK people tend to emphasize the "hip" snap with hand technique a bit more than what I was previously used to. I am informed that Sensei Toyama's interpretation of form is considerably more "fluid" than what either group might be used to.

As yet, none have deemed it proper to amend any of the "Eight" kata or add to them. although intrepretations do vary.

Far from being upset, I am intrigued to see some valid different interpretations and have run across only once one that was outright "wrong" slant of Sanchin which was by an OKK Senior and rather quickly damped by the Seniors.

I understood at one time that another kata was to be added and some weapons forms added as "electives" but the Kata has not appeared. If it did, I will be happy to say that learining a new kata would not bother me, if there is someone around to teach it properly. In "Isshinryu" after all, kobudo forms are required and are not electives.

One kata every 50 years or so may produce a widening "split"-but it hasn't happened yet and it hasn't yet been decided which Kobudo forms would be electives, or whether everyone will be free to choose (an) elective(s) from the list of traditional okinawan Kobudo forms. (This latter is not a bad idea anyway, if one can find an instructor).

JOHN T

------------------