Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 1999 1:17 am 

Van sensei et al: I purchased and read Mike Izumi's book (ordered it off of Lori san's site). A nice easy read, and a must for the handgun owner and the future handgun owner. Much of the homework I did via this site was contained in Izumi's book. I've got a companion work by Mas Ayoob on order now.

I tried the S&W Ti Centennial .38 for the first time today. Very nice. I added a large hard rubber grip which made it fit my hand very nicely. The recoil was in fact not a problem. Not even with the +P round.

Before using the S&W, I trained with my Glock .45. What a difference. With the Glock I could easily put 5 shots in an area the size of my hand. Not so with the Centennial. The amount of force required to pull the trigger made consistancy difficult. I will need quite a bit more training before I am able to do with the Centennial what I can do with the Glock. Perhaps it was because I fired the Glock first, or was just unaccustomed to the pure double action. In any event, it is highly unlikely that the S&W would ever go off unless someone really meant it to.

Rich

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 1999 8:44 pm 

Rich:

I could never Master the rapid fire with a double action pull. All revolvers can be "tuned" (stoned) to improve this. Out of the box, the Pythons had the best rep. at one time for double action smoothness.

I have a Redhawk, S&W 686, Rossi and Smith .22 Kit Guns, Vaqquero and SAA, all sort of gathering dust right now. Hopefully that will change.

The book sounds good.

JOHN T

------------------

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 1999 11:34 pm 

Rich,

Is your Glock one of the "compensated" models?

Moe Mensale

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 1999 3:32 am 

No, standard barrel. It stays on target nicely though. My problem is actually anticipating the recoil and pulling the barrel down before the bullet gets through. My groups tend to be a few inches below my aim point. The .38 Ti exhibits the same reaction, only bigger, so I must learn to go with the movement of the barrel, not anticipate it.
Rich

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 1999 7:54 pm 

A law update:

If you are an instructor such as an NRA instructor teaching safety courses, you must now register with the State Police in Mass..

I'll let you know more about this as they process my application. So far all they want is a copy of my NRA certification and $50.

JOHN T

------------------

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 1999 2:37 pm 

RAC,

If you have the dreaded flinch (anticipation) buy some snap caps. They are dummy rounds with internal springs so when you dry fire the revolver it will not damage firing pins etc. Have someone load the snap caps along with live rounds. This exercise supposedly helps.

When rounds go low and left it is usually because the firer squeezes/jerks their hand just before the gun discharges. If the backstrap doesn't fill your hand, the grip will be pulled in and down by the contraction of the lower part of the hand. I had this problem when I first started shooting my Officier's .45 (it has a straight backstrap where all my others have a curved backstrap). The solution is to 'pull' straight through the trigger movement (or change grips..). Another solution is to modify your grip (as in hold). I use a heavily modified weaver type of stance. By readjusting the left hand (for a right handed shooter) I can counter the long, heavy trigger pull of my revolver... (btw it still works under pressure as it is all macro movements. Pulling straight through takes to much concentration for me).
hope this helps, if not it is still fun to practice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 1999 11:40 pm 

Law Update:

State Police processed NRA Inst. Cert without a problem. I know have a 10 year state certification.

Wow huh.

JOHN T

------------------

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 1999 5:19 am 
Congratulations, John

------------------
Allen - uechi@ici.net - http://www.uechi-ryu.org

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 1999 2:15 am 

John: That IS great.

I''ve been working to get my 2" Titanium S&W .38 under control and can now put all five rounds into a 4" circle at seven yards. Pretty much the range this revolver was intended for. It took a while to get accustomed to the long hard pull of the trigger and the recoil that is very evident due to its weight (12oz.).

It truly is easy to carry, though the trade-off is that it is not at all forgiving to poor firing technique. A good sanchin stance with the elbows in works great.

Just for the experience I tried it on the 25 yard range. Wow. The distance really amplifies any error. This handgun will be my primary training weapon. If I can control it, any other pistol or revolver will be a piece of cake.

------------------
Rich in Richmond on the James