Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: SLOW BURN
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 1999 12:02 am 

Some more gems from Mas Ayoob , director of lethal force institute :

1] Be first to communicate danger problems to the police ; win the "race to the telephone" as the first caller is usually treated with preferential status ! Get a cell phone !

2] If you carry a gun or if you think you are a bad ass martial artist with techniques of doom , " go to great pains to learn not to say the wrong thing and to control your emotions no matter what the provocation >>>> " Be a "professional" !

3] Seek out intensive training in "verbal skills" ; at times more important than fighting skills !

4] Always tell the truth , when the time is right to open your big mouth [consult a lawyer first] and never flee the scene of conflict unless you are in more immediate danger ! " Flight equals guilt " in the eyes of the law …..either to escape punishment or to buy time to come up with lies and excuses !

5] If you carry a gun , learn the proper shooting skills under stressful reactive stimulus ; be careful to really understand the concepts of point shooting vs. aimed shooting !

6] Be sure you are totally indoctrinated in " When to shoot " so that you can convince a jury of your peers you acted logically, ethically and with common sense , so that your use of force was totally justifiable !

7] Tone down your "perverse twinge of exhibitionism " …..do not 'show' the gun just to gain power over people ; do not reveal the fact you are armed to the general public , as most people will judge you to be an unwholesome individual >>> and this will detract from your public image ! This also applies to your flaunting of martial arts "skills" ! Being low key and acting with dignified behavior is the answer !

Pretty tall orders for most of us .

Then you have the retort " Well I am licensed to carry a gun but very rarely carry it " ….. really think what message the person who is saying that is trying to convey ! Not good …but can you tell why ??

In order to do it's "work" …[think about what this work is] , the gun must be assimilated into the person's bearing and demeanor …{ MASSAD}

When that happens , it is said that the gun creates a restraint and a face saving out of emotional provocations / insults ; < it forces him [ the gun carrier] to respond to the dictates of reason and not those of outraged pride > {MAS}

This would also seem to be applicable to a confident martial artist , but only if he truly believes in his proficiency ! Trouble is many do not , and instead of avoiding a beef at all cost , they welcome the chance to prove to themselves they are the "baddest ass in town " !!

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 1999 2:24 am 

Van sensei: Here are the seven 'Gems' from Jeff Cooper's 'Principles of Personal Defense'. This book is one that can be read in an hour or so, but contains all of the principles that you espouse:
-Alertness
-Decisiveness
-Agressiveness
-Speed
-Coolness
-Ruthlessness
-Surprise

I'm just about done with Jim Cirillo's book. Next up is Peyton Quinn's Real Fighting'.

So much to learn..........

Regards, Rich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 1999 2:51 am 

Hi Rich ,

Good observations ! I have read and re-read Cooper's gems over the years ! Excellent mind set training !

Let us know what your thoughts are on Cirillo ! The guy is awesome and he is a survivor of many police gunfights !

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 1999 1:41 am 

Van: some comments on Jim Cirillo's book 'Guns, Bullets and Gunfights'-

First, in closing, he stated that if he were still a member of the NYPD Stakeout Squad his weapon of choice would be the Glock 21 .45 semi-auto. That made me feel good. He has nothing good to say about the .38 special and round nose ammunition he was made to use in those days. His back up carry piece would be the compact Glock .40 S&W. The message here is that big is good!!!!!
Aside from having the correct weapon you must have the proper ammo - destructive, high power self defense rounds.

Training is the key to survival. As stated by all of the experienced masters of self defense, you perform the way you train. Train so that your subconcious performs all of the right moves when you are under extreme stress. If you train in bad habits, they will surface in deadly situations.

According to Cirillo, many, if not most, handgun training courses instill very dangerous habits, as do some handgun tournaments and competitions. Speed is emphasized, not cover and tactics. Also, economics, such as saving brass casings as many shooters do, can cause you to unconsciously reach for them under stress.

He told of an officer, who while in a gunfight, unloaded his empties into his shooting hand, and then looked for a place to store them before reloading. In another example, he told of one expert shooter who kept his ammo in his pocket when training and competing to have it convenient and have lots of it. In a gunfight, this officer reached into his pocket for ammo to reload, pulled out some change and a house key, and stood there befuddled. His ammo was on his belt in real practice. He recovered in time to put one bullet in his revolver, and had to pull the trigger three times, the first two were already spent, to stop an onrushing attacker who by that time was only a few yards away.

Cirillo did state that it is important to practice often, just do it properly. Also, tounaments and competitions are helpful, as they add some stress and teach accuracy, which is important. Just do not imprint bad habits while training, as noted above.

Mindset here is interesting. Shoot first and as often as necessary. Do not warn a bad guy with a gun to 'drop it'. That is a relic of old western movies.

The last major point - Think distance, cover and tactics when in a threatening situation.

All in all, a very interesting and important addition to my reading.

Rich

------------------
Rich in Richmond on the James

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 1999 11:41 pm 

Hi Rich, Van, et al,

Don't know if this will post as my other posts today have not made it....

Scenario - armed bad guy committing very heinous crime on victim. Coming upon the situation, I draw my G27 and, without calling out to bad guy, empty 10 rounds into him.

"Good lord, you shot him TEN times?"

"And you didn't even WARN him first?"

While I have probably read the same books you have and received the same advice from combat shooting instructors and most likely have the exact same mindset you do, how do we reconcile the fact that while we probably just saved the victim from extreme bodily damage and/or certain death, the public, including our own family, could very well look upon our actions as extreme overkill and barbarism in its own right?

When does the right to protect ourselves and others, either armed or unarmed, overstep society's norms? Or does it?

If I have performed a "humanitarian" deed by saving someone's life, the last thing I would want or expect, is to be ostracized for it.

The two would seem to be diametrically opposed.

Moe Mensale