Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 1999 2:47 am 

May be a fitting portrayal of Steve Morris as per his shocking stance on the conventional martial arts world ! Certainly he has pulled no punches in the knocking down of traditional bastions , and although some of his points might better be elucidated by challenging discussions with an open mind , in general, I like his spiked scandalous message simply because it carries the truth of real life ! His jabs at reality in the martial arts are well taken and somewhat parallel the message of this forum , albeit with more vigor and conviction !

Debate , if you will , but this reminds me of the story about Ole Bull , the famous Norwegian violinist , who came to play in America ! He was promptly attacked by fellow , jealous musicians in the press ! When given an opportunity to RESPOND in the columns of the Herald , wise Ole Bull knew he possessed a far better weapon than a printing press ! " I think" he replied in his broken English , " it is wise tey writes against me , and I plays against tem"

Mr Morris would certainly be welcome on my forum with his opinions on reality checks !

------------------
Van Canna

[This message has been edited by Van Canna (edited 04-20-99).]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 1999 3:25 pm 

Why do people find Mr. Morris' remarks so outrageous? All you need to do is look into just about any dojo anywhere USA and his points are proven. Go to Oki and look for the proverbial foo foo dust. You will be dissapointed. There is no magic in Martial Arts. Through hard work and THOUGHT you just might get somewhere. Most students look for the easy, magicical solution. It doesn't exist. There are plenty of people out there who will take a students money based on these false claims. Many students don't want the truth, it is to hard and scares them. They spend their money and walk away feeling good. There are very serious practitioners here in the US and in Oki (as well as Brazil, Russia, China, Phillipines etc.). It is up to the students to learn the concepts behind the techniques.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 1999 10:22 pm 

Sorry Van Sensei, I don't know Steve Morris and the statements to which you refer. I can imagine, but would you provide a citation?

Thanks,
David

Oh, yes, Ole Bull provides a good example for us all!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 1999 5:29 am 

David -san ,

Please go to the front page and click on Mr Morris website ! There you will find his entire discourse , interesting and quite shocking !

Regards ,

------------------
Van Canna