Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 1999 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Susan and I just returned from the hospital where a very lucky Clarence Wilder was sitting next to his bed with tubes and monitors hooked up to all parts of his body.

Clarence had been shot last night in his home by a young burgler who stuck a gun in Clarence's ribs as Clarence was unlocking his front door. The burgler forced Clarence to enter his apartment. coincidentally as the phone was ringing. Clarence, without thinking, picked up the phone and told the caller he could not talk and hung up.

As Clarence was talking on the phone for those few seconds, the burgler was looking around to see what he might take. Also during those few seconds, Clarence decided that he was not going to let the young man 'take him out' without a fight. As he put the phone down, Clarence jumped for the man's arm, trying to wrest the gun away. The man, according to Clarence, was "slippery as a snake" and got away.

Standing about four feet away, the gunman fired three shots into Clarence's abdomen, groin and leg. Fortunately, the abdomen shot missed vital organs and hopefully the surgery has repaired all the damage.

Clarence has asked me to let you all know he is going to pull through this ordeal and will be in top shape for camp. Although he would like to see all his friends visit him at the hospital, he asked you to wait until he gets a bit stronger. Meanwhile, he would really appreciate a card from everyone, addressed to:
Boston Medical Center, One boston Medical Center Place, Boston, MA 02118

I'll update everyone daily.

------------------
GEM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 1999 10:01 pm 

Thanks for posting info.

I am relieved and P*ssed at the same time.

Will pass on info to the Chinatown group tonight.

david

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 1999 2:04 am 

News has travelled quickly and we Nova Scotians are shocked and angered by what has happened to Clarence. Sincerely hope no one else was injured in the incident. Please let Clarence know we are all thinking about him and that we hope for a speedy and full recovery. Thank goodness he's ok.
It has hit a nerve that has recently rattled all of us around here - lately we've had two local Uechi students (from different dojo) experience terrifying break-ins to their own or their relative's homes. What is the world coming to? Can we feel safe anywhere anymore?
Let's all send some Uechi support to Clarence in a big way!
Thank you for updating us, Sensei Mattson...
Please keep us posted.
Regards,
Joanne Hunt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 1999 3:08 am 

I'm stunned! I had the great fortune of meeting and working with Clarence sensei last year at camp - and was impressed and humbled by his presence, teaching, skill and most of all, heart. He is truly an inspiring man and my thoughts and prayers are with him... and my students' as well.

I will be sending a card; in the meantime please convey our best wishes from Florida.

Peace,
Lori

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 1999 4:17 am 
George,

I am deeply saddened by this. I just informed Jay.

------------------
Allen - uechi@ici.net - http://www.uechi-ryu.org

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 04-28-99).]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 1999 9:12 pm 

That's friggin' terrible.

We are at war with ourselves. I hope you're all ready to do battle.

Where is this country headed?

Godspeed to Clarence-sensei.

Gary

------------------
Gary J. Khoury
http://www.uechi-ryu.com/khoury

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 1999 12:14 am 

Glad to hear he's okay. What an awful situation! I hope he heals up thoroughly and quickly, and can put this behind him.

greg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 1999 12:34 am 

My best wishes to Clarence for a speedy recovery. We'll see you at camp in July.
Regards, Rich

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 1999 2:13 am 

I saw my friend Clarence at the hospital today ! He is recovering well and should be out in a few days ! Still lots of pain but well matched by stoicism !

All this B*** S** talk on other forums about ' warriors' and karate of doom and ultimate secrete techniques as taught by the real masters ! The truth of the matter continues to be that when you are faced with deadly threat [ the only one that counts in my book ] You are going to be a totally different person than what you thought you were in the safety of your GI , your Okinawan dojo and or the presence of your ass kissing students while holding court !

I have totally debriefed Clarence today in detail on the sequence of events , and the assault was pretty horrifying by any standards !

I will bet you ten to one that most of you self proclaimed 'tough guys' would have frozen stiff at gunpoint in spite of your delusions of grandeur !

In his book lt. Strong is very clear on the point that under any attack you will wind up doing something or nothing at all ! Under deadly assault the shock "boxes you in " and your concentration suffers immensely as the mind tends "to float" from the crisis, " leaving you in mortal fear for easy domination and control !

Clarence did not chill ! When he sensed that the assailant , a street wise and a mean gang banger , was about to shoot him, he set his mind in not making it easy for the scum bag to take him out without a fight ! He had a precognition that he might get shot after the robbery anyway , just by the gunman's demeanor !

Clarence charged the gun from six feet away [ think about it ] and was able to close the distance in a flash and grab the punk's arm and a portion of the gun as he wrestled him to the ground ! He said that he did not get a chance to hit him as he was holding the assailant with both hands trying to keep him freeing his gun hand !

The attacker was very slippery and wiggled free and cocked the gun over sideways and fired at Clarence point blank as he was still pursuing the charge ! Hit in the stomach , leg and scrotum , Clarence collapsed but still tried to get up and lunge at the punk who then fled ! Clarence' refusal to say die must have saved his life as it scared the A** Wipe from sticking around to finish him off ! NOW that is a Warrior ! Down in shock and bleeding profusely , Clarence was still able to dial 911 !

I already hear the rationalizations from the self proclaimed experts ; should have done , could have done , if he had been to Okinawa , if he had been trained properly ; questions of immediate response v. submitting , isolation and control etc.

First of all , out of respect for Clarence I urge you to refrain from any Monday morning quarterbacking about real or imagined " mistakes " he may have made , Secondly do yourself a favor and do not post any negative remarks about what happened to Clarence or I will delete your ass from this forum in the blink of an eye !

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 1999 3:17 am 

No Monday Morning quarterbacking here.

Bob took me in but Clarence was my most consistent teacher from white belt to brown belt.

Clarence gives no Sh^t and takes NO Sh^t! Just don't piss him off.

I semi-seriously called him "sensei" at summer camp when he was getting his what, 7th dan, or whatever. With his patented grin and shaking of his head, he said, "C'mon, dave, it's me, Clarence." Yes. Clarence. Good enough then and more than good enough now.

I take it he is up for visitors.

david

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 1999 8:55 pm 

I saw Clarence yesterday. He was a little
weak, but he was doing great overall. When I arrived at the hospital I went to the registration desk and started to ask which room Clarence was in. In mid sentance, the woman at the desk said to me, WHO ! is this Clarence Wilder. He's having more visitors, and getting phone calls, from all over the world then anyone we have had before.

I told her, Clarence is a very special man. He has more friends then the pope has churches.

When I arrived at his room, he was surrounded by friends ( Bobby Bethoney, Mike & Warren Challie, Ed Huff, Danny Gacousty (Sorry Danny, I know i spelled the name very wrong), Bobby Campbell called from Hong Kong, along with many other friends of his I do not know...

Over all, he looked great under the circumstances. Lets all pray for a fast and healthy recovery for one of the best guys around....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 1999 10:35 pm 
I went in to see him this morning but was met at the door by david who was just leaving. Clarence is 'ok,' sedated and was sleeping at the time, in a lot of pain and really weak. I'll go back and say hello on Monday.

------------------
Allen - uechi@ici.net - http://www.uechi-ryu.org

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 1999 1:50 am 
Site Admin

I know how popular Clarence is and that all of his friends feel the need to visit him, but please understand that what he needs most right now is rest and quiet. He asked me on Wednesday to have people send cards and letters. Naturally his closest friends and family are present round the clock and for Clarence, their presence is part of the healing process. If you can wait, please give him a few more days before dropping in.

Thanks

------------------
GEM

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 1999 12:16 pm 

Clarence is one of the true "Bravehearts".

JOHN T

------------------

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 1999 2:13 pm 

Whoever sees Clarence next please convey my most heartfelt wishes that he recover soon, and a hearty "Osu!" for this karateman. It takes a lot of inner fire to face down a gun, and a lot of instinct to know that he had no choice. Too bad things didn't end a bit differently, but it sounds like he will recover. First rule of street fighting "Survive". It sounds like Clarence did job #1.

Osu!
Jason