Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 1999 12:47 am 

Van: Every week I take a little time in class to talk about self defense, but I make it clear that what we are doing is not a self defense class. It is a martial art. Self defense will grow out of it.

Based on material from your site and the great books you have recommended I have a short discussion and usually a demo or two for the students followed by a little hands on practice. Today we discussed Clarence a bit, and Bill G. and I walked through the scenario. We brought out the wooden gun and play acted. One student suggested we set aside 10 minutes or so every week to practice disarms or techniques that might be useful in a street or home attack.

What do you think? I have a concern about building overconfidence into someone, and end up having a minnow get shot. Your list of how to react elsewhere on the page is great, and I will share it with the class. But how far can and should I take this self defense concept?

One thought I have is to take the class to the firing range if for no other reason than to let them hear the sound of a handgun, see the flash, feel the recoil. Going a little further, I could take up a collection and hire my handgun instructor for a class seminar.

Another thought - I wonder what my liability exposure is if I really make a point of teaching 'self defense'?

Rich

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 1999 3:01 am 

Do not teach any disarms to your students ! Disarms are not an integral part of the Uechi curriculum and neither you nor I nor most senseis are qualified to teach them unless they first become certified in the basic skills ! Hire a qualified expert to teach disarms and then your students can practice the moves on their own ! The only way to get certification is to attend the nationally recognized deadly force schools like thunder Ranch , Gunsite , Smith and Wesson Academy , lethal force institute etc.

To do less , you will place your students in jeopardy , as well as yourself --liability wise as your underlying training and qualifications will come under serious legal scrutiny if someone gets killed/injured while relying on the skills you passed on to him !

Likewise you would be taken apart by the legal sharks on cross examination as to your understanding and qualifications and certification in teaching self defense ! Having a "lineage" and some high dan rank will not save you from the ravages of an ambulance chaser sharp-shooting for deep pockets !

My advise , for all it is worth is the same as Tomoyose sensei [ great man ] ___ Question _ " Sensei , will I be able to defend myself with karate ? "
Answer _ " In ten years , maybe"

Always play down the self defense aspect of karate in your teachings , in spite of the obvious !

Good idea to familiarize your students with the sight , feel and sound of the ubiquitous handgun ! And sell your students on the idea of the force continuum concept and encourage them to cross train at one of the above mentioned deadly force schools where they will be counseled by real experts in violence as opposed to white pajama clad egomaniacs !

[This message has been edited by Van Canna (edited 05-01-99).]

[This message has been edited by Van Canna (edited 05-01-99).]

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 1999 8:05 pm 

Van: Thank you. The message is understood.
Regards, Rich

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 1999 8:52 pm 

DEAR VAN CANNA SENSEI,

This has been the CLEAREST MESSAGE ONE CAN IMAGINE AND PROPER WARNING TO ALL TEACHERS
AS TO WHAT EXTENT THEY MAY ASSUME THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES.

MAY I SUGGEST THAT THIS NOTICE WOULD BE PLACED PERMANENTLY SOMEWHERE ON FRONT PAGE
SO ANYBODY WHO ENTERS THIS SITE, MAY BE CONVINCED, THAT ASPECT IS CLEARLY DEFINED within this Karate-DO Community.

ALL INSTRUCTORS AND THEIR STUDENTS SHOULD UNDERSTAND THIS AS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT.

AND IF I MAY ADD IT WOULD BE USEFULL IF ALL STUDENTS WHEN THEY FIRST START THEIR LESSON WOULD BE INFORMED BY RELEVANT ARTICLES OF YOUR OFFICIAL US PENAL CODE IN REGARDS WHAT ARE THE SANCTIONS IF PERSON WITH MARTIAL ART EXPERIENCE IS INVOLVED INTO EXCESS PHYSICAL
VIOLENCE (Sorry, I remember someone posted in this regards, maybe Gary-San).

If this is than understood, students should not anymore speculate (on these forums) nor exercise any activites at their work-outs that would resemble to some street scenarios as this instills in the student a belief that he is able to deal such encounters BUT in fact his mind is too obstructed with vast solutions.

MY DEEPEST RESPECT
Igor Prasnikar