Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 1999 1:45 pm 
Hello John,

You can't outdo some quotes. Thomas Jefferson's is the best, though.

------------------
Allen - uechi@ici.net - http://www.uechi-ryu.org

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 1999 8:36 pm 

P.S.

I went out to find a book that had more on the Weaver stance than the NRA basic Manual, or any of Ayoob's Books, or a word origin book.

Book stores "0".

Sorry.

Amazon.Com look out.

The NRA manual is most unsatisfactory. I suppose that's why I am only a "basic" instructor.

JOHN T

------------------

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 1999 11:47 pm 
Don't knock the basics.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 1999 2:02 am 

J. T. -san ,

HOPLOPHOBIA …interesting !

The term was coined over twenty years ago by none other than the illustrious Jeff Cooper ! He denotes " Hoplon" the Greek word for instrument , but which refers synonymously to "weapon" ; and " phobos" , which is Greek for terror !

A mental aberration , a haunting fixed and morbid aversion to guns ; hysterical neurosis ; irrational obsessive panic of weapons as opposed to justified apprehension about those who possess them !

No reason , logic or truth will ever prevail upon a Hoplophobe !

" A victim of Hoplophobia , will die , probably , before he will accept the fallacy of his emotional fixation for what it is " { Jeff Cooper }

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 1999 5:26 am 

Allen et al:

Allen, I hate being repetitious, but on another forum I cited the infamous "God Created Men, but Sam Colt made them equal.

In some situations an unfortunate truth, in others, not unfortunate.

Van Sensei:

Hoplophobia is a word I did not know. It apparently has an interesting "root".

I hope you don't mind if I discuss it briefly. See "Socrates" on the Western Arts forum.

"Hoplon" is/was the (Attic?) Greek word for shield. At the time the city states in Greece (400 BCE+) had, by and large, compulsory military service. The armies, normally, were not "standing armies", the city states were too small.

The "Citizen Soldiers" were dubbed, as I recall "Hoplites" because of the shield they carried.

So, the word implies an interesting twist of a "phobia" against not only offensive, but clearly defensive "arms".

I am going to try and find some material of the Weaver stance. My training was a bit on the eclectic side, so, I may fall into it, (the stance) without being able to explain it.

Well, I suppose I can 'give it a shot' although it might be like trying to explain Sanchin after re-reading a book on Uechi or Goju.

JOHN T

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 1999 7:58 pm 

Maybe this should be on a different thread, if so, please feel free to continue this under another subject line.

I have heard from a usually realiable source that two of the shotings that took place at schools were stopped by law abiding gun owners. One was apparently in Pearl (Mississippi?), when a school employee ran to his car (parked over a thousand feet away from the campus, and in which he had a legally owned firearm.

The (goodguy) gunman apparently got the drop on the badguy, and only two people were shot. Apparently something similar supposedly happened at another school too, limiting the body count.

I have heard that the media mentioned the role of firearms in ending the carnage at these schools a couple of times, and I am looking for the actual stories that did so. I would like to know the paper that such facts (if they are true) appeared in, and their dat, etc. I hate to make up my mind about issues without a thorough grounding in the facts.

Any idea on where I can get this information?

Thank you.

Scaramouche

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 1999 11:15 pm 

Hi: Good question. Lott did note the incident you mentioned in his interview. The good guy was the school principle, I believe, and a licenced handgun owner who dutifully left his gun in the car after the federal law banning guns in schools came about. Yes, he ran to his car and came back in time to hold the shooter at gunpoint until police arrived. Lott quoted more stories such as this but I do not remember the details. Some are in his book.

Get it.

Regards, Rich