Helpful Materials

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Helpful Materials

Postby Jake Steinmann » Sat May 01, 1999 6:49 pm

About a year ago, after suffering a fairly humiliating beating at the hands of my sifu, I became convinced that there was something fundamentally lacking in the way I was training. Since then, I've narrowed it down to a question of mindset...I didn't have the ability to deal with situation mentally, and the years I'd spent training in Aikido, Kung Fu, and Uechi seemed something of a waste. Lord knows what would have happened to me if that had a been a real world fight.

Unfortunately, while I've managed to locate a couple of people and places that discuss mindset, I'm at something at loss to find good materials on the subject. I'm looking into Tony Blauer's stuff, but I was wondering if anyone here could suggest to me some good books/videos/drills/whatever to help me out. There's a startling amount of bad martial arts material out there, and I'm a little leary of just wandering through it randomly.

Any suggestions, please post here, or email them to me at BLACKSTEEL@AOL.COM

Thanks
Jake Steinmann

Helpful Materials

Postby Van Canna » Sat May 01, 1999 8:04 pm

Hi Jake,

Welcome to my forum !

As a start , read 'Sharpening the warriors edge' by Bruce Siddle ; " Strong on defense" by Sanford Strong ; and "real fighting " by Peyton Quinn ! Do buy Tony Blauer's videos as they come highly recommended ! Good luck and get back to us on this forum to discuss and analyze the various concepts as you absorb them !

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

Helpful Materials

Postby Lori » Sun May 02, 1999 12:46 am

Hello Jake-san,

Over the last year and a half I have been copying down the names of the books listed on this forum, many recommended by Van Sensei and a few others that received good reviews here as well.

I believe the ones he mentions in this post are already there...

I have created links to most of them on this page Forum Recommended/Reviewed Books

Most are set up with hotlinks direct to Amazon.com where you can purchase the book online. I'm always adding to the list - and if you have any suggestions, reviews or additions please let me know by forums or by email.

Good luck on your search.

Peace,
Lori

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 05-01-99).]
Lori

Helpful Materials

Postby Jake Steinmann » Sat May 08, 1999 5:29 am

Sensei Van Canna, Lori, thank you both for the information. I'm sure I'll find it valuable.

Jake
Jake Steinmann

Helpful Materials

Postby David Elkins » Sat May 08, 1999 9:01 am

Hi Jake,

I'd just add one other resource which perhaps in modesty has not been mentioned yet, and that is the archives of this very forum. It isn't going to get any "realer" than these pages.

Read, enjoy, and train hard.

David
David Elkins

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities