Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nostalgia
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 1999 2:24 am 

Got a tape of the "Black Fighting Kings" that someone taped from one of the Cable channels.

The tape sort of follows 3 black guys and one white guy training in the NYC for the first Kyushinkai (Jason - sorry for the spelling) sponsored Karate World Championship in Japan in 1975. While the tape focused more on these guys with interviews and such, it actually managed to capture the training of many of the competitors from differents styles preparing for the tournament, including Muay Thai, Savate, Wing Chun, some Shaolin (?) stylists, and various karate stylists from different countries.

The tape essentially caught probably the last of the "old style" tournaments. Jhoon Rhee had already introduced his "Saf-T-Punch/Kick" equipment 1973-4, the equipment was increasingly used through the 70's and became "required" by the late 70's.

Why nostalgia. Well, what one sees on the tape is essentially bare knuckle all out contact competition. Except for the kneeing and elbowing, the matches were essentially what one saw in the matches of the 60's and early 70's in the U.S. tournament scene. Lots of blood and guts, broken ribs and knockouts.

Watching these fighters, there is little or no dispute about whether these fighters of old would be able to handle themselves better than most in a "real situation."

For those new to the karate scene. It's worthwhile to a get a hold of this tape to see what it was like and to ponder how this relates (or not) to your own training. I heard this documentary may be available in some of the video store outlets.

david

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 1999 4:45 am 
David, I never accidentally made contact UNTIL I started wearing "Saf-T-Punch/Kick" gear. They seemed to really mess up distancing. So much for the safety aspect.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 1999 6:54 am 
David:

I've seen the Fighting Black Kings many times. A great documentary.

Rick

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 1999 12:26 pm 

Anthony,

Touchy subject. Image Really, what I think is that they had not "properly" trained for the event or for "real contact". I my time, I have seen enough schools whose predominant focus is form (kata) and not application and sparring. I was young when I swtiched off from gung fu to Uechi, the primary reason being what you see in that tournament. I never regreted the decision, having sparred with some apparently talented gung fu guys (including one who is now a famous action star.)

Notice the wing chun guy. Yes, a flurry of punches to the Japanese guy's midsection but to no effect. His own physical conditioning was lacking (Yes, he was also flabby around the mid section) and was dropped by one or two midsection punch by the Japanese fighter.

Fighting that kind of tournament, one would have to work on endurance, power and conditioning in addition to the the skills/attributes related to the "give and take". I just didn't see that reflected by gung fu guys. In the interest of being fair, the tape didn't follow their training as much as some of the other fighters.

That's why I think the tape is interesting. Ponder your training.

david

P.S. Oops, my last comment was not directed at you, Anthony, specifically. Rather, towards "we" who may be interested in this facet of training.

[This message has been edited by david (edited 05-09-99).]

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 1999 11:31 pm 
Anthony:

I saw another documentary where the same Kung Fu school was featured (can't remember the name), so I don't think it was a set up. I think is was just like David said -- they were not trained properly for the event.

Rick