MORE GUNS LESS CRIME II

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

MORE GUNS LESS CRIME II

Postby Van Canna » Wed May 12, 1999 5:48 am

These discussions on guns are very emotional but very necessary because guns are very much a part of America and they are not going away soon ! A spokesman for the law enforcement alliance of America said " These people are not all gun lovers , most are just people who want an insurance policy !"

What is the link to self defense realities ? It is a simple concept of force continuum for serious students of self defense , not for karate people who think budo is the total answer , because it simply isn't ! The people who don't accept the force continuum concept have no business talking "self defense" with their students !

A trial lawyer friend tells me that instructors are well advised to tell their students that they teach karate and not self defense so they can get off the legal hook ! Cut this budo talk because it will always remain an illusion for the average student ! If you ask Tomoyose sensei about karate and self defense , his answer is " After 10 years , maybe , only maybe " He must know something some of the budo enlightened don't !

Interestingly enough the survival instinct is not exclusive to law abiding people ; it is just as basic to criminals who fear being killed by armed citizens ! In 1993 nationally recognized Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck , conducted a survey on national self defense which was consistent with a dozen previous study showing that use of handguns for self defense is very effective ! The results showed that as many as 2.45 million crimes are thwarted each year in the US by the average citizen using firearms , and in most cases the potential victim has never had to fire a shot !

Now consider for a moment what the carnage on our street and in our homes would be like if we were not allowed to exercise our right of self defense with firearms !

And yet gun owners can be as stubborn and stupid as martial artists , i.e., the gun owner believes just buying a gun , loading it , pointing it and pulling the trigger is enough ; the martial artist believes he can work out a couple of years twice a week , learn lots of impressive Japanese terminology ,get all black and blue from over conditioning , bow like a true samurai before the shomen , wear a black belt and go out and kick ass taking weapons away from the bad guys !

------------------
Van Canna

[This message has been edited by Van Canna (edited 05-12-99).]
Van Canna

MORE GUNS LESS CRIME II

Postby Allen M. » Wed May 12, 1999 9:54 am

When I read your last paragraph, Van, I said instinctively "Too much TV. That's where that attitude comes from."

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]
Allen M.

MORE GUNS LESS CRIME II

Postby Mike Hurney » Wed May 12, 1999 12:22 pm

Good Morning Van, Please feel free to delete this if you think I am out of line or wish to answer this privately. My email is mike.hurney@lmco.com or mreia@mediaone.net
What do Mr. Tomoyose and Clarence think about carrying guns?
Mike
Mike Hurney

MORE GUNS LESS CRIME II

Postby Van Canna » Wed May 12, 1999 2:51 pm

Mike-san

I hear you but I will not go there at this juncture ! No offense ; considering current events I will not speak for anyone else on this thorny subject !

Best

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities