Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:02 pm 

"You want me to stay here?" I whispered as I slowly turned one way, then another. Searching for the face that would match the voice.

"No, we want you to take us with you."

"How do I do that?" I mumbled.

"Put us in your heart. Know your connection."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:39 pm 

Then a disembodied voice seemed to whisper...

...You will need to deal with the worst life can bring...with tremendous sadness and anger and fear attached to it...

...in cold realization that this person who lived in joy and love and song _is no longer around making the world a better place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:04 pm 

It is late evening…I had just gotten on the train, that train that will get me back home…the compartment where I had reserved a seat, is completely empty. I take off my coat and flop down in the padded seat. I am tired; it has been an intense day getting ready for this trip.

I close my eyes looking to rest and relax finally. The train is still stopped at the station; I remain a bit on edge as in anxious wait to get going.

I hear some voices coming...simple vocal sounds but no words I can discern. Faraway voices, incomprehensible.

Suddenly my heart begins to pound in my chest…and as my eyes open I see unknown …insignificant faces and expressions…I look around but in vain…I don't recognize any of them.

I fight to bring my mind elsewhere…retracing the events of the day seems like a good idea…a day that now feels magical and _ as a custodian of new inner secrets…depository of life fragments _I want to believe only my very own.

I remain silent and I wait…and I nod off…

I walk again through those streets, mute protagonists of past vicissitudes now very discreet observers…I feel lucky nevertheless to have been able to pick up some crumbs of happiness along the way…

A sudden jolt brings me back to the present…the train is moving…

…but after a minute it stops…for a moment I think it has stopped to allow you to get on board…instead it is to allow another train to pass…

And now picking up speed…the railroad tracks moaning…the quick darkness of the night seem to want to shade the unveiled torments of the mind. It is too late now _and too far to return for a last embrace, my son.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:25 pm 

Hypnotic and sleep inducing, the sound of a train clacking over the older RR tracks with short welded lengths…can put some people to sleep immediately.

I nod off and vanish in the deep darkness of the mind…now invaded by dreams…I am walking with hands in my pockets, resigned to these perennial raiders of the soul. To feel safe I am again headed towards my old house. I continue to walk on and on…I keep thinking…how long has it been that I walk this same road over and over…and how many years have I lived in my beloved old house? Many.

Getting closer I just know it isn't my beautiful old home…not anymore…it isn't my comfortable, warm refuge that I looked forward to open my massive front door to.Image

The cold has diminished some, the sound of the Cathedral bells has become sharper…I am feeling a new warmth…I open my eyes and the bells get louder…I shiver and look around…now I see my boyhood diary on an old desk…I recognize this desk and other old furniture …they bring to mind memories of childhood…I pick up the diary book and I find so many pages of old full of my calligraphy and drawings of cars and guns…

As a child, every day I got up in the morning…I would scan the walls of my bedroom, for a trace of _maybe _moved furniture about …and I would imagine the moment I'd have to leave my home to strangers who would destroy all the physical repository of my memories…and this thought was very destructive to my happiness.

Something, someone...is telling me my parents, my uncles and aunts, my grandparents…and…my beloved son…are on the way to visit me. Yes…even this is a dream…I hope it never ends…

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:47 am 

And now it has been some time that we haven't spoken, my son. But you know how often I speak to you in my mind?

Many times coming home I imagine you appearing at the front door, having visited, and the times I drive by your old house, your nest of happiness, father of two wonderful boys…I see you on the power mower smiling as drive by…and waving…the days of hope…but all has vanished…al that you ever had and worked so hard for …has completely vanished.

For so many years, with the wind in my face, between the white snow falls of the winter, or in the warmth of sun rays, or the blooming of spring…I had called your name to come to me.

As I rewind the scenes of my life, I think of finding your thoughts between so many old pictures now old and used but neatly folded in albums.

Who knows if you up there also have vivid memories of our times we spent together…maybe you also yearn to hear my voice…maybe you would wish me to say 'my son I will always be there for you' as you wrote to me that I had always been…before you closed your eyes.

Maybe you would want that I'd pick you up and, holding you in my arms, I would talk to you about your grieving mother.

Would you ever have imagined that fateful day in May that we would no longer be next to each other?

That between my alternating waves of fortune and misfortune, that day, something/someone would rip your hand from mine. A day of a mocking fatality being against us all…

…and for all time left to come…living a life as a condemned man…watching a dark fog appear on the face of your mother…causing torment and insecurities …extinguishing my joy of life as a faltering candle light deprived of oxygen.

And it would be then that I'd feel unexplainable guilt of having negated you some happiness I could have given.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:20 am 

Shadows, lights…squeals…noise…momentary silence…then a group of youngsters laughing and joking in a kind of merriment hard to describe but easy to understand.

The pleasant clinking of kitchenware and cutlery from nearby open air restaurants…steps of young men and women out promenading in a fall evening of joy…clatter and chatter…a cool breeze keeping company to leaves and convertible's tires rolling on the asphalt, ever so slowly, conveyors of a seemingly never ending happiness_ a sunset that warms the hearts and caresses the smiling gazes.

A sun that vanishes as the moon makes its grand entry into the magic of the evening. Cars being parked…and parked cars beginning to move… a distant wail of desperation…a tolling of bells…a shout of contentment… gently amplified acoustic music of a jug band filling the air…

And so pass the cars, pass the cats, pass the elegant couples…

And so pass the seasons…so pass the years…slowly the noises of life recede in their own retreats… to make room for their colleagues…the silent shadows of the night…but some stragglers don't want to go home…

Night life has shut down… lights and kiosks have been asleep for a while…a yawn comes to keep me company…

The night is what has shown me the road is still there…
Until tomorrow my son.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:23 am 

A Child’s Dream of a Star

By Charles Dickens

Quote:
THERE was once a child, and he strolled about a good deal, and thought of a number of things. He had a sister, who was a child, too, and his constant companion. These two used to wonder all day long. They wondered at the beauty of the flowers; they wondered at the height and blueness of the sky; they wondered at the depth of the bright water; they wondered at the goodness and the power of God who made the lovely world.

They used to say to one another sometimes, Supposing all the children upon earth were to die, would the flowers, and the water, and the sky be sorry? They believed they would be sorry. For, said they, the buds are the children of the flowers, and the little playful streams that gambol down the hillsides are the children of the water; and the smallest bright specks playing at hide-and-seek in the sky all night, must surely be the children of the stars; and they would all be grieved to see their playmates, the children of men, no more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:25 am 

Quote:
There was one clear shining star that used to come out in the sky before the rest, near the church spire, above the graves. It was larger and more beautiful, they thought, than all others, and every night they watched for it, standing hand in hand at the window. Whoever saw it first, cried out, “I see the star!” And often they cried out both together, knowing so well when it would rise, and where. So they grew to be such friends with it, that before lying down in their beds, they always looked out once again, to bid it good night; and when they were turning around to sleep, they used to say, “God bless the star!”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:26 am 

Quote:
But while she was very young, oh, very, very young, the sister drooped, and came to be so weak that she could no longer stand in the window at night; and then the child looked sadly out by himself, and when he saw the star, turned round and said to the patient, pale face on the bed, “I see the star!” and then a smile would come upon the face, and a little weak voice used to say, “God bless my brother and the star!”

And so the time came, all too soon! when the child looked out alone, and when there was no face on the bed; and when there was a little grave among the graves, not there before; and when the star made long rays down toward him, as he saw it through his tears.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:28 am 

Quote:
Now, these rays were so bright, and they seemed to make such a shining way from earth to heaven, that when the child went to his solitary bed, he dreamed about the star; and dreamed that, lying where he was, he saw a train of people taken up that sparkling road by angels. And the star, opening, showed him a great world of light, where many more such angels waited to receive them.

All these angels who were waiting turned their beaming eyes upon the people who were carried up into the star; and some came out from the long rows in which they stood, and fell upon the people’s necks, and kissed them tenderly, and went away with them down avenues of light, and were so happy in their company, that lying in his bed he wept for joy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:30 am 

Quote:
But there were many angels who did not go with them, and among them one he knew. The patient face that once had lain upon the bed was glorified and radiant, but his heart found out his sister among all the host.
His sister’s angel lingered near the entrance of the star, and said to the leader among those who had brought the people thither—
“Is my brother come?”
And he said, “No.”

She was turning hopefully away, when the child stretched out his arms, and cried, “O sister, I am here! Take me!” And then she turned her beaming eyes upon him and it was night; and the star was shining into the room, making long rays down toward him as he saw it through his tears.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:31 am 

Quote:
From that hour forth the child looked out upon the star as on the home he was to go to, when his time should come; and he thought that he did not belong to the earth alone, but to the star, too, because of his sister’s angel gone before.

There was a baby born to be a brother to the child; and while he was so little that he never yet had spoken word, he stretched his tiny form out on his bed and died.

Again the child dreamed of the opened star, and of the company of angels, and the train of people, and the rows of angels with their beaming eyes all turned upon those people’s faces.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:33 am 

Quote:
Said his sister’s angel to the leader:—
“Is my brother come?”
And he said, “Not that one, but another.”
As the child beheld his brother’s angel in her arms, he cried: “O sister, I am here! Take me!” And she turned and smiled upon him, and the star was shining.

He grew to be a young man, and was busy at his books, when an old servant came to him and said:—
“Thy mother is no more. I bring her blessing on her darling son!”
Again at night he saw the star, and all that former company.

Said his sister’s angel to the leader:—

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:34 am 

Quote:
“Is my brother come?”
And he said, “Thy mother!”
A mighty cry of joy went forth through all the star, because the mother was reunited to her two children. And he stretched out his arms and cried: “O mother, sister, and brother, I am here! Take me!” And they answered him, “Not yet.” And the star was shining.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:36 am 

Quote:
He grew to be a man whose hair was turning gray, and he was sitting in his chair by the fireside, heavy with grief, and with his face bedewed with tears, when the star opened once again.

Said his sister’s angel to the leader, “Is my brother come?”
And he said, “Nay, but his maiden daughter.”

And the man who had been the child saw his daughter, newly lost to him, a celestial creature among those three, and he said, “My daughter’s head is on my sister’s bosom, and her arm is round my mother’s neck, and at her feet there is the baby of old time, and I can bear the parting from her, God be praised!”

And the star was shining.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next