Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: fandango
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:30 am 

The self defense industry is a funny thing. When you really take the time to look at it, it is trying to teach people how to live their lives in a safe manner. This is not a bad thing.

Depending on how important it is to be safe, "self defense" could be defined as "living your life in the best way possible."

It logically follows that a self defense instructor is qualified in teaching people how to live your life in the best way possible.

Well, let's take a moment to try to understand what makes a "good life."

No.

I don't care if you're a psychologist, soldier, martial artist, athlete, cop, criminal, guru or whatever, you aren't going to teach someone how to live a good life.

I have learned martial arts from all kinds of people who all had one thing in common. They all thought they had the answer.

The answer is to learn as much as you can, and enjoy the journey.

Any one who purports to teach "self defense" should exhort their pupils to explore and learn as much as they can, from others, and about themselves.

Because you cannot teach "self defense" by training another human being to be a puppet.

There are a few people on these forums who have shown me this simple truth, and I consider them to be masters.

Thank you, Van. You are a good person and a light in the darkness.

Post subject: Re: fandango
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:31 pm 

Hi Sean,

Thank you so much for this introspective thread and for the kindness of your words.

I continue to enjoy your presence on this forum and thank you for your ever insightful comments. You have become a best of friends with your loyalty… keen mental discernment and good judgment in your posts, that I always look forward to reading.
Quote:
Any one who purports to teach "self defense" should exhort their pupils to explore and learn as much as they can, from others, and about themselves.

Exploring the self, as you point out, is probably the most overlooked component mired in the denial stages of people's lives_ possibly because Human self-reflection can be scary as hell.

Quote:
This penultimate scene of the Admonitions Scroll _shows a palace lady sitting in quiet contemplation, presumably following the admonitions in the accompanying lines:[1] "Therefore I say: Be cautious and circumspect in all you do, and from this good fortune will arise. Calmly and respectfully think about your actions, and honor and fame will await you."