Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: So long my dear friend
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:38 pm 

Bill Bauknecht, our Uechi brother and dearest of friends, passed away yesterday January 9th, 2015...

He was a top student of sensei Art Rabesa, a full contact fighter, and a friend with a heart of gold.

A true warrior who bravely fought against a relentless enemy...bone cancer...for almost twenty years...braving a suffering none of us will ever be able to comprehend.

Much love, my dear friend, thank you for the special gift of your friendship and for the gift of your most prized item from your collection.

You were indeed a true Uechi treasure.

Rest in peace my friend.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:26 am 

Bill,
God Speed my friend.

The warrior has fought the courageous fight.
The battle of the dark night of the soul is won.
New energy now fills the Warrior.
A new path is now laid before them.
A gentler path filled with the inner-knowing
of one who has personal empowerment.

With their personal battle won, they are filled with joy.
A new awareness that they are one with the Spirit beams
as they go forth to show others the way.
They are not permitted to walk the path for others.
They can only love, guide and be a living example
of the Truth of their being.

Thank you for being a mentor and a friend.
Robb Buckland

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:37 pm 

Thank you Robb for posting this.

Bill was the gentlest of warriors in all senses of the word. A true friend, and a generous soul. Hard to find the words at this moment to describe how much he meant to me personally as a friend over the years.

He surely must be in the arms of all mighty God right now, after his 'hell on earth' by that crushing disease he battled for years on end.

:cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:57 pm 

In the middle ages, people went into battle knowing that sooner or later they would lose. In The Battle of Malden, a small band of English soldiers fights an overwhelming number of Danish invaders. I quote from the end, after the English earl and his two best men have already been killed. The remaining English have no thoughts of surrendering to the vikings:

Byrhtwold spoke; he grasped his shield; he was an old companion; he shook his ash spear; full boldly he exhorted the warriors:
"Thought shall be the harder, heart the keener, courage the greater, as our might lessens."

Tolkien said that Byrthwold's line describes the heroic ideal. It also describes Bill.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:32 pm 

Thank you both Rob and Harvey, for your kind words. Bill will be missed. No details yet from the family. I'll get a notice out as soon as I get the word. Thank you again. --Art

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

On our last round of golf together in August, Bill was too weak to play but a few shots, but he thoroughly enjoyed those shots and reveled in the one nearly perfect drive that flew by my ball on the fairway.

He knew the end was near and yet with every move he made, smiled while telling himself how he had cheated death one more day and added one more golf shot to his memories.

Bill will always be with us and for his golfing buddies. . . will always be playing with us and reminding each of us of how luck we were to have known him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:27 am 

This rifle you see on the table is a 'pre-64' rare Winchester 94 lever action in 30-30 caliber...of Winchester factory, New Haven Ct, original manufacture...no longer made.

A true collector item, worth many thousands of dollars.

When my friend Bill, was selling his gun collection years back...he held on to this rifle as his prized pet rifle.

I told him then that when he wanted to get rid of it some day down the line, I would pay him whatever he wanted.

So one day he calls me asking to meet him and get the rifle...when I reached into my pockets he said..."Van, you can't buy this rifle, but you can have it ...and you'll make me very happy if you accept it as a gift" :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:17 pm 

I was not as lucky as most of you and was not around when Bill was in his prime, but I new him well enough that I could tell what kind of Man he was.
I am so sorry to hear about Bill Sensei's passing. I am honored to have known such a great man/Uechica and my sincere condolences go out to his family!

Fedele

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:34 pm 

Thank you Fedele. I think there will be a service in Mashpee in a few days, I will keep you posted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:53 pm 

R.I.P.

It's the one drawback about living a long life, we lose so many along the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:35 pm 

This in from Art Rabesa_

Services for Bill to be held Saturday...Jan.24 at from 10AM to 2 PM At the

Chapman, Cole and Gleason funeral home - mashpee. On RT. 151.

74 Algonquin Avenue
Mashpee, MA
(508) 477-4025

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Ch ... me+Mashpee

A Priest will be there at 2PM.

It is our duty as Uechi people to be there to pay our respects to the family.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:22 pm 

I will see you there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:56 pm 

You are a good man Harvey.

http://www.ccgfuneralhome.com/obit/william-e.-bauknecht

Quote:
EAST FALMOUTH – William E. “Bill” Bauknecht, 77, of East Falmouth passed away at home on Saturday, January 10, 2015 after a 19 year battle with Multiple Myeloma. He was the beloved husband of 56 years to Mary Sue (Johnson) Bauknecht. Born in Cincinnati, OH, the son of the late Joseph E. and Esther (Wagner) Bauknecht, he was raised with his sister, Jo Ann, on a farm in Milford OH. He graduated from Milford High School in 1955. He enlisted in the US Air Force on Aug 10, 1955 and was accepted into the security service where he acquired the highest security clearance. He spent 2 years with a mobile unit in Alaska. He earned a good conduct medal and was honorably discharged in 1961.

Bill married his high school sweetheart, Mary Sue, in 1958 in Alaska. They moved to Cape Cod in 1963 to help his father run the small business he had purchased from the Costas in 1959 on Green Pond. He managed Green Pond Shellfish until 1967 when he took over the business from his father. He moved his family into the adjacent house on the property in 1971. He changed the name to Green Pond Tackle, Inc., though most people called it “Bauknechts”. Through the years he expanded the business by doubling the marina capacity, adding marine products and services, and wholesaling the famous Green Pond stuffed quahogs to many local restaurants, manufacturing as many as 200,000 a year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:57 pm 

Quote:
During this time he served as Falmouth’s Assistant Harbormaster as well as Harbormaster of Green Pond. He served as director and vice president of the Falmouth Chamber of Commerce and was the director of Falmouth Youth Hockey. He was an avid fisherman, boater and golfer, however, martial arts was his biggest interest. He began his Karate training in 1974 as one of Arthur Rabesa’s first students at the Falmouth Uechi-Ryu Karate School. He performed at such a high caliber that after a few years he was placed in the New England test for his black belt promotion which he achieved. He continued his training over the next 40 years, being promoted to higher ranks. He often taught many of the adult and children’s classes at the dojo. He achieved the master rank of 8th degree in 2012. He was well-known in the martial arts world for his dedication and loyalty to Uechi-Ryu Karate and credited his training for helping him battle multiple myeloma, an incurable blood and bone cancer he was diagnosed with in 1996.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:58 pm 

Quote:
Initially facing the possibility of having only 9-18 months to live, Bill underwent an experimental stem cell transplant and was given a life expectancy of 3 years. He survived for almost 19. During this time he established a website for those diagnosed with multiple myeloma that offered advice and counsel. His doctors also provided his contact information to newly diagnosed patients. He received emails and phone calls from all over the world and provided hope and guidance to complete strangers. He was featured in a multiple myeloma survivors calendar and is one of the longest known survivors of this disease.

In addition to his wife, Mary Sue, Bill leaves behind his children: Debra S. Pinho and husband Thomas J., Lori A. Bauknecht, Vicki L. Santos and husband J. Carlos, and David W. Bauknecht and his longtime girlfriend Megan Leary, all of East Falmouth; his grandchildren: Megan S. Pinho, Michael W. Pinho, Molly A. Pinho, C.J. Pavao and Joseph W. Santos; and his great grandchild, Heath A. Paolini, Jr.