Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Explosive Uechi Ryu
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:37 am 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmve1z ... _gA/videos

If you haven't been on Art Rabesa's you tube channel, get over there. There is a goldmine of practical application on this art we all dedicate so much time to.His stuff is right in line with most of the discussions and certainly answers the criticisms of anybody that says uechi ryu and sanchin practice has no practical street value.Any of the videos that have the word "infighting" in the title will get you nodding in agreement.

Post subject: Re: Explosive Uechi Ryu
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:20 am 

Josann Good observation. The sanchin awareness into all of the training is what I am hoping to get across. You begin and end in sanchin. Thank you for your comment. Art Rabesa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:18 pm 

There's some superb stuff on inside fighting, there. I believe it's an overlooked part of most karate fighting. So much to learn for anyone interested.

And forty years later the man still scares me. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:49 pm 

Hi Otto I agree with you. I think working REAL close is overlooked in the training. The reason is simple. It is not easy. To hit real hard from real close takes a lot of practice. It can get scary up close. Thats why most tend to work on strikes from the outside. I like it in the kitchen where I'm comfortable. I hope my website helps with the infighting part of the training. I'm sorry that I scare you. I'm really very gentle. When I'm sleeping. Happy Trails Art Rabesa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:02 pm 

I don't hear the term "in the kitchen" anymore. I guess it's been replaced by "dirty boxing", which is fine, but I don't think many young Martial Artists pay attention to either term as much they should. Maybe the "dirty" thing has them less receptive. "in the kitchen" was taught to me my my dad, when I was wee.

I suppose we're all fascinated by kicks at the beginning and tend to have that "when I have room I'll really shine" attitude. If you ask any young black belt, "Show me some power strikes on that bag" how many will set themselves up real close? Not too many, me thinks.
Fights tend to start in the kitchen, and most sure as hell end up there. In any crowded environment, that's where you'll find yourself. With multiple opponents you better be in the kitchen or you better run. If friends/relatives need help controlling themselves in a bad time, it's going to be in the kitchen, quietly and to avoid embarrassment. If you're a cop, you arrest, cuff and frisk in the kitchen. (There is no such thing as long range police work.)

But people tend to judge power on what they can generate in class, at their favorite range, which is whatever range they are most comfortable in to set their stance and let things rip. I will always love the kitchen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:28 pm 

Well Otto, "in the kitchen" is just my way of saying real close. It is important to be able to hit from any distance. The real world does not always cooperate in these matters. The situation one may be in might not be to their liking. Your training should cover "situations". To be comfortable at any range is the key. Be able to hit real hard from real close, but be able to hit from a distance also. That is why a good sparring class is important in the dojo. There one can practice long range techniques. However, when you find yourself in the kitchen, you better be ready to do some cooking. Happy Trails -------Art Rabesa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:37 pm 

This is developing into a great thread :)

BTW Art is a great cook...in and out of the kitchen :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:25 pm 

Yes, Sir, one does indeed need all distances in their repertoire. My long range strikes are not what they once were, and that's fine, but you know what my biggest adjustment is? (due to aging) My timing. I have to keep adjusting my timing as my natural speed diminishes with age. Both my speed in techniques/combinations, but also my speed/quickness in closing distance. I've always loved closing distance and still do, but the timing in relationship to my steps is different than it once was. Still a work in progress, but I guess everything in the Arts is that.

I think muscle memory is no longer a good friend now. I think adaptability has taken over that spot in my fight game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:27 pm 

I think of closing the distance in tactical ways depending on whom and what I am closing into…and more important…what am I capable of bringing to the 'close'…

…and this capability changes with the passing of time as we age…

Then there are notable exceptions, such as in Mr. Rabesa. He is built like a Humvee truck and can hit like one, he always did. He would break concrete slabs with a straight punch in demonstrations.Image

Additionally, he has been able to harness the power of sanchin that flows from each of his Uechi techniques…combined with extreme body conditioning.

I bring this up to my students because It is of critical importance when training to close with someone.

And how do we train to close with an opponent…straight in...or at 'angles' that might be necessary to remain safe while placing us in a position of advantage…where we can either deliver our 'weapon' to the target…

or deliver the 'target' to A 'weapon'…
…think about what this means.

The basic tenshin movements of Sanchin, augmented with the more sophisticated 'angle' work of the subsequent Kata…remain of critical importance in 'closing' with an enemy.

Think of you, then think of someone like this Image

What will you need to take with you in order to close in and stop this guy who loaded with adrenaline and liquor is hell bent on killing you...and grinding your remains into dust like Mr. 'Syncerus Caffer' here...AKA the 'Black Death'Image

This guy will not only gore you or butt you to smitterins...he will with demonic fury...stomp you into the ground...until your body turns into a red ooze.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:07 pm 

Well Otto, you have to work on moving in one piece. Everything begins and ends at the same time. Foot plants as strike hits ------same time. Start by moving at short distances. As you begin to coordinate the action, increase the distance. Check the striking segments on the web site. www.artrabesauechikarate.com Hope this helps. Happy Trails --------Art Rabesa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:10 pm 

I'm really enojoying Rebesa Sensei's website. There's so much I plan on working on. But I'll tell you what drill I'm going to do the next time I teach class...

We're going to tie our belts together. Oh, yeah, baby. What a great kitchen drill. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:19 pm 

Glad you like that tie belt drill Otto. I have come up with many crazy drills over the years. If you talk to some of my senior students they will tell you about some of the drills I put them through. -----Happy Trails ------- Art Rabesa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:06 pm 

We tied our belts together last night. What a great drill on so many levels, and a whole lot of fun. It seems that if two people with even a rudimentry understanding of fighting did the drill, even without any instruction involved, they would get a better feel for being in the kitchen. I think if they did it for a few mintes every night, they'd improve their overall game in no time. What a great drill.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:19 pm 

Glad it worked out Otto. I quess I'm not so crazy after all. Now try it blindfolded. ------Happy Trails -------Art Rabesa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:50 pm 

In replying To Otto's post on tying belts together, I suggested he try that drill blindfolded. If you watch that related video "Inside Outside Infighting" from the CLOSE QUARTER SECTION of the uechi wheel. You will hear me say"I do not have to see his hands I can feel them". When you are close, touch and feel are more important than sight. Try it. You will be surprised what happens. www.artrabesauechikarate.com---------Happy Trails -------Art Rabesa