Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:19 pm 

Another "Randy`s Rant" and I hope people will watch and listen all the way through to hear "why" before reacting because this thought hasn't been well received in the past. As the rant says this is for self defence and - I agree with him.

Quit moving backwards when training

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:29 pm 

I quit moving predominantly backwards in training and removed all the drills that do so

I belive you should always be moving , movement is king just you need to get offline and off the train tracks

But beleiving this and removing such training artifact is heresy to the karate world , it is not karate anymore if you make this change

All the disagreement on the forums and all the politics boils down to this , and wether or not you can control distance/closing reliably

Hard to admit the emperor has some dodgy outfits sometimes , even though hes an elected president

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:54 am 

Good clip from Randy! I'll sit this one out,my point of view wasn't well received last time as I recall. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:05 am 

Should of too mate

Need to take my own advice , bad form to rock the boat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:00 pm 

I think it is best as well. No point in rocking the boat, water under the bridge as the saying goes.

We can have a great time just discussing the concepts and principles of anything we choose to practice individually.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:41 pm 

Good post.

After mulling it over for a while, I have a question that I don't think is addressed very often. I think everyone can agree that the most advantageous position for a frontal attack is to angle to 1 or 2 o'clock and get behind the attacker. We don't often talk about being hit from the rear, or someone coming at you from say, 3 o'clock. What if you perceive someone coming at you, or get hit from the 4-5 o'clock direction?

What is the consensus for the correct movement in these situations?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:58 pm 

I don't think anyone should be offended because their training should be based on their purpose and no one else's.

I also think the point of the rant is no different than pretty much every other topic posted here when strictly talking about reality self defence.

You need drills that reflect real assaults.
You need drills that are in bad breath range.
You don’t go backwards.

Think of each practitioner having a scale:

On one side is their purpose for training.

On the other side are reality drills.

If you are in it for tournaments then that side should well outweigh the reality drill side. You need distance and backing up to control distance.

If you are in it for a workout and some intense banging around for enjoyment then you may want to add something in the reality side if the drills you enjoy don't reflect reality assaults. If your Sensei is confident enough in what they teach they can bring in people to do seminars dealing with the reality side to supplement other drills.

If you are all about self defence then the Rant is for you and the reality drill side should be heavily weighted.

It all depends on what you want out of your training and only you can decide that, so while the rant’s title is intended to be provocative it begins with the rant being for reality based training.

You can do any drills that you enjoy and get something out of, how much you may want to balance them with something closer to reality (assuming they aren’t) is strictly based on you purpose for doing marital arts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:00 pm 

"We don't often talk about being hit from the rear, or someone coming at you from say, 3 o'clock. What if you perceive someone coming at you, or get hit from the 4-5 o'clock direction?"

Think of the same principles and have someone come at you from all angles and it works out.

You should always vary the attack angles in drills and focus on side and rear.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:38 pm 

Uechi kata is chock- full of spin moves in all directions. And those are just a general guideline to learn evasive and counter techniques.

One of my preferred drills is to place a student against the wall and have someone attack him. The back to the wall student then begins to learn the basics of 'swinging door' blading action with or without counters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=878U7bdWsi8

When we think of offline drills, we must also think that pivoting sliding and swiveling in footwork stance and directional changes as well as impact contact enhancement are equally vitally important, and to form such a habit we must make these drills a regular part of a workout.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:23 pm 

Right on! Footwork is a gigantic element in fighting and self defense. Your right Van -- Uechi kata's take us in all directions and angles. Quick, tight turns with proper footwork is the key to defend attacks from various directions. This ( of course ) is easier said than done. Takes lots of practice, but it can be done. I never had an R in my transmission, so I believe in moving forward constantly. Some slight angles, but I believe in closing that gap. Can't do a hellava lot moving in reverse. ----Art

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:00 am 

Some times I wonder in all these discussions if we truly realize _it's the SPACE around you that can mean life or death - and the need to manage that space that is more important of any technique you may believe in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:43 am 

Quote:
the need to manage that space that is more important of any technique you may believe in.

Should be in huge bold letters. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:10 am 

I don't think anyone on here actually disagrees about ther futility of going straight backwards

It's always been about working around the collision not being on the spot , not caught on the tracks.

Sure sometimes you could go straight back , but we owe it to or students to teach the highest percentage most easily obtainable skills.

When it hits the fan in actual fighting going straight back mostly means going straight down

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:08 am 

I'm waiting for someone to answer my question. Probably won't happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:16 am 

I thought Rick did, I'll glady share my 2 cents if it's welcome

With the force and around , works no matter the angle its just a tighter turn as you err ... Dont shoot me but close :evilbat:

We drill attacks from disadvantage , another benifit to abandoning straight back is you can get away from bad guy straight punch in front... Kiaiiiii!

Its just continual flanking , let them have the line and roll around it , inside or outside , now try outflanking going straight backwards

I got this from the original kata , never once do they take you across the line of force , or seldom backwards to my recollection . Maybe Kanbun was onto some of this stuff , or maybe it's just coincidence that best practice reflects his syllabus IMHO of course

Most see turn and face straight I see turn off and face, sanchin turn offline around and face and close , like the kata...

Having said that must be easier to run away facing forward

Last edited by Stryke on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.