Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:42 am 

I'm sure everyone says this at some time or other. My approach to exercise can be characterized as haphazard at best. Periods of inactivity combined with extremes, leading to all kinds of physical dysfunction. Some sports when I was young, dabbling in all the different fads, and some experience with the kind of manual labor that leaves you looking and feeling like a drowned rat.

I never was taught any kind of real weight training. My opinion on the subject was informed by encounters with muscle bound people who couldn't keep up with me, in boot camp and work.

So at 49, I started following a program from SCARS. This is not an advertisement for them, but just to acknowledge the source of what I'm talking about. LIke I said, I was never trained in how to use weights. I'm sure most people already know about this stuff.

The important points being to only start with so much weight that you can do, as an example, three sets of each exercise, of ten repetitions, slowly and smoothly while maintaining perfect form or posture. Not a way to quickly build muscle mass, but it increases strength throughout the whole range of motion.

Another thing I just learned after all this time is the benefit to working all of the muscle groups in balance. This has been an eye opener, as after a couple weeks, there was a noticeable difference in full body movement. I have gained mobility, and it seems as if I have taken a few years off of my joints, back etc.. I have seen my speed and power increase while watching fat melt away at a rate that has never happened with things like running and calisthenics.

This is one of those things where I find myself looking back and thinking that weight training should really be looked at as the fundamental practice for any kind of sport or just as an aspect of health maintenance. I wish I learned this in gym, before any kind of sport specific exercises.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:44 am 

Great thread 5 D...

Much to learn from it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:37 am 

Van, my idea of weights was formed by watching people do bench presses and curls. And then you've got olympic athletes doing full body lifts. I never thought about the muscles over the tibia, the outside of the forearms. The neck muscles and the hips. No weight lifter is going to show off his ability to exercise his gluteus. :lol:

I just never had anyone actually show me how to target all of the muscle groups. It really is a matter of the whole body working in concert.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:51 pm 

The body can be quite a puzzle. There are 600 muscles in the human body. To work a particular muscle, or muscle group, you must use the correct resistance. Without proper instruction, many muscle groups will be neglected. To work the areas needed in the martial arts would be a good example. Football players and swimmers would not be doing the same weight program. I had to stop using weights when I began my Uechi Ryu training. I went from football to karate overnight. Big difference there. One needs good MA instruction to progress properly. Weight training would be no different. Be careful using weights, one can be injured big time. Proper instruction is the key.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:00 pm 

Quote:
I went from football to karate overnight. Big difference there.

Yeah...Art became my human makiwara...taking full power back kicks and sliding on the floor and then getting up asking for more contact...

It was then I predicted he would turn out to be one of the best fighters in full contact tournament scene in the US...and he sure did.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:06 pm 

Art, you got to tell the story when you went up against Pat Burleson...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:16 pm 

Not much of a story. New England team vs the South Western team in Oklahoma City 1968. Pat Burleson and I were matched up to fight. He was big and tough and I knew I had a rough match ahead of me. Fighting the South Western team - in Oklahoma - with South Western officials. How's that for odds. Our fight was a good one. Lots of banging and grappling. They wanted more of a fight and not much of any point crap. That was fine with me. The fighting was difficult because not much was detailed as a scoring point. We just went at each other until the match was over. Pat was declared the winner of our fight with both of us still standing. I enjoyed it though. Bob Campbell and Jim Maloney were also there. Later that night we all got together at a club for a little party. We all hit it off very well. Good bunch of guys. When fighters get together, there's lots of respect to go around. Tough fighters but good people. It was fun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:30 pm 

The mutual respect that goes around with the fighters is something to be experienced...same as I felt in tough soccer matches where on the field we wanted to kill each other, but at the end of the game we all hugged like brothers.

What is also nice to see is that the good tough fighters have a tendency to gloss over one another's unavoidable human foibles...so the friendship and respect is always there...whereas the ones that don't, right down to it_ they are not really fighters_ they just think they are and spend all their time looking for respect, like a needle in a haystack.