Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: For Van
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:54 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5MWqPsFWsk

Post subject: Re: For Van
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:28 am 

Thanks, Sean. Pele` the greatest ever. Brazil could have used him in this year's 'Copa America Centenaria' where they were eliminated and Dunga, the coach, fired.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:04 am 

Van, I like how this video shows the misses as well as the goals. There are times when the defenders kick his legs out from under him, because they have no other recourse. Even in the misses, he shows a level of skill that is beautiful, and the bicycle kicks are legendary.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:48 pm 

I hope you are watching the ‘Copa America’ and the European championships, Sean.

Argentina is number one, and Chile not so far behind…the US is still there.

Tough games with lots of vicious tackles and animosities on the field.

In the European championships, Russian hooligans are being deported back to Russia...it is total war.

As a young teenager I was in Argentina and spent most of my time playing soccer in junior teams…it was there where I developed the passion for that beautiful game.

Karate did not even come close to the magic of squaring off against power teams on the soccer field.

But then ... It was in this country, in my early twenties, that I played on an Italian team, at a time when soccer competition was populated by a number of ethnic teams, made up of foreigners, like Germans, Portuguese, Dutch, Irish, Sweden, etc._

It felt like being in the world cup…with the tackles and sounds of the ball being kicked, combined with the yells, swears and moans of injured players…and some crazed fan charging some player on the field. Once a German striker was hit on the head with a stone splitting his skull wide open.

Nothing gets the blood stirring like a soccer match, an exhausting running game, with the sprints making you feel like you were going to die, those cold heavy old style leather balls smashing against your shins and ricocheting off your head like cannon balls, leaving you stunned for the rest of the evening…

sometimes rain sodden hair…fighting snot…and feeling dirty down to your soul as you charged the elusive ball smashing into opponents…

...knowing that you are alive every time the ball comes to you in a pass, or you hunt it down, taking it away from an opposing player who now hates you with a frenzy hard to fathom.

Your lungs burning, as you become locked into a bittersweet- magical time…that is always unique for each game…like being born and dying as you win and lose a key game.

Now we know why that game draws billions of fans.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:24 am 

Dunga is lucky they haven't shot him. Fotbal (soccer) down there is a religion. The Portuguese blood runs hot when it comes to the "Game". I watch my daughter play in a co-ed league in Boston. She's a maniac out there. Of course she's Italian and Portuguese. That might count for it. England fans were banned from the games. I don't know if that ban is still in place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:12 am 

http://www.espnfc.us/team/brazil/205/bl ... eplacement

Religion...you got that one right...

The picture of my avatar was taken by a fan down the North End of Boston, where my SS Italia squad was playing the Boston Italia squad for first and second place in the league...in a field off Atlantic Ave right next to the police station.

I think the whole damn North End was there for the game... and after field violence with fans, one of or guys almost killed the ref with a power kick...he just went crazy...there was a damn riot...we were lucky to get out of there in one piece.

We had anticipated a violent ending, so we had piled up in several cars driven by friends, after having changed into the uniforms back at our club in Cambridge.

Some of the fans had guns and we knew it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:42 pm 

http://www.ole.com.ar/seleccion/messi-la-tire-ahi-tiro-libre_0_1600040135.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:30 pm 

Thank you Carlos...Best player in the world, and a nice guy. Much better than Ronaldo who apparently is not well liked.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:24 pm 

Better than Ronaldo? That would be a very large debate. Depends who your asking. Europe / South America ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:40 pm 

Art Rabesa wrote:
Better than Ronaldo? That would be a very large debate. Depends who your asking. Europe / South America ?

Don't you just love to start a soccer argument? :mrgreen: What makes nations go to war :splat:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:55 pm 

Portugal and Argentina would go to war concerning soccer. So we better be careful of what we post. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:19 am 

Quote:
As of 2015, the fastest recorded shot in soccer was estimated to be 131 miles per hour. The shot was made by Ronny Heberson, a footballer making a free kick at Sporting Lisbon. It occurred during a match in November of 2006.