The handshake

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

The handshake

Postby f.Channell » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:31 pm

I met him at a cannon dedication. A civil war cannon had been repaired and was being placed in front of an old GAR veterans hall.
He was a grizzled marine veteran of the Korean War who had spent his life as a police officer protecting us all. He had brought his collection of Civil War guns to the dedication to display and I looked them over and asked a few questions about them. He told me he didn't know what was going to happen to his collection now that he had cancer and his wife didn't want them in the house.
What had taken his a lifetime to collect would soon be scattered in a few hours at an auction, his son had already told him as much.
He told me that none of that was really important but what was important was the handshake.
I looked at him quizzically for his meaning.
He looked away from me with a distant eye as he told me of the veterans parade he went to when he was a young child.
An old wagon had rolled past slowly and stopped in front of him.
He saw an ancient man with arthritic hands gaze down upon him with piercing ocean blue eyes.
His mother said to him, "This is the last veteran of the Civil War alive in the town, shake his hand."
He told me of reaching up and taking the old man's bony hand in his and shaking it, then the wagon rolled away and into the distance.
Although nothing had been said he knew he had been given something.
He then looked at me and took my hand.
As he shook my hand he said, "You are now shaking the hand of a man who has held the hand of a veteran of the Civil War."
And so the responsibility was passed to me......
Whose hand should I shake?
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
f.Channell

Re: The handshake

Postby Van Canna » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Very beautiful, Fred...I'd shake your hand anytime.
Van
Van Canna

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities