Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 41  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:43 am 

Robb posted
Quote:
Too many so called “experts” put a great emphasis on neutralizing ones fear; we call this unscientific process emotional suppression. When you attempt to expunge ones emotions such as fear, you unintentionally reduce their level of awareness by decreasing an important faculty called consciousness---mankind’s ultimate weapon for survival. These schools of thought fail to realize the difference between what is fear and that which is normal, ordinary nervousness. Nervousness is necessary and profoundly important; it allows you to be cautious and to remain alert.

I have seen this argument before…one that I battled against, on the forum for years, it seems.

The thrust of the argument put before us was _ that the ‘confidence’ you should develop in your training, will overcome the ‘emotions of the moment’ ….

We certainly should develop confidence in our capabilities…but to think that such confidence will negate our hard wired emotional response is at best sophomoric. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:56 am 

Posted by Robb
Quote:
Many martial art instructors today are afraid their curriculums will not be interesting, so they abandon any tactical structure and try to create easy, non-reality based exercises.

True enough, but this does pose a logistic problem for most of the TMA schools today.

For one, many students don’t really want any of this…they prefer the ‘usual training’ the camaraderie and the belts…with diploma parties…after all…karate should not be studied for self defense, but for self improvement…physical and emotional…and if karate is studied with that focus in mind…

Then….

If and when the time should ever come for that strange ‘self defense thing’ ….

“IT” …will emerge with frightening fury…decimating all opposition….

After all…don’t we know and read of so many situations where a simple TMA _ rote exercises_ trained dojo student…has so successfully defended himself?

Last edited by Van Canna on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:48 am 

Quote:
Unfortunately, fights most often take place on the street, where there are no rules and there is rarely only one opponent. Furthermore, they seldom involve purely hand-to-hand combat.

Such are the times in which we live, and the martial arts we practise for self-defense should be in tune with them.

Ancient or not, a strategy that fits our modern way of living is needed by all of us.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:30 am 

to evoke an emotional or ANY response from anyone Ask a question, ...make a statement call me a name, smash your keyboard, do ANYTHING........ dont just read this and move on . I have learned SOOOO much on these forums because of the questions or objections people raise (knowingly or unknowingly) ....I read 3 books this week just researching (i havn't done that in along time ).

Van, Maybe you and I should just 'do lunch' if were doin all the talkin !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just for the record my handcuffed readers....I love TMA and I do all the same kata , bunkai . kumite and hojo undo as you........I just have a different mindset while doing it !!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:42 pm 

Robb,

No big deal, really. All the forums are/have been in a dormant state for years now. There are lots of reasons for this… It ebbs and flows…

Many of the moderators on other forums packed their bags a long time ago…could not take the hard work and the ‘battle runs’ of gunfights with words that erupted from time to time.

The idiots with agendas have also disappeared :lol:

Most of the subjects we cover here…have been discussed over and over for the last 12 years or so, with some very interesting results…smile.

Many readers, instead of feeling challenged in their thinking, resort to brooding _ while feeling a personal knock down from pedestals.

Just human nature. But the right people are still there reading and learning from what you write.

We have gone to great lengths in the past to relate that there is nothing wrong with traditional martial arts the way they are taught…only that any proficiency in certain aspects of self preservation _ can be expanded by ‘reaching out’ ….

Just enjoy this page as a personal blog…

Times do change.

Post subject: Sigh........
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:49 pm 

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:05 pm 

I am past the sigh, Robb...I could much care less at this point :wink:

Post subject: Moving on ....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:14 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7TJWvaIkdU

The guy in the red head gear asked for a critique of his sparring so lets put our thinking caps on and help him out .. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:07 pm 

Sir,

You are getting off first. Good. You are reaching too much with your punches - that is why there is a gap between your right jab and your follow-up straight left.

Need to work on bringing your (non-existent right hook) behind your straight left. After you walk him to the ropes, turn him and hit him again and again - don't just step out.
Add a double jab to your arsonal. You always single jab - bad habit.

Down the road, practice angling out as you disengage. You always step straight back - bad habit. On the inside, from the pocket, off-set by stepping out to the side (stage right or stage left) sometimes pivoting in or pivoting out. Then you can learn to body punch, like a shovel hook or the corkscrew hook to the head....

Joe Lewis

O.K. whos' next.......?

Post subject: O.K. my turn .....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:17 pm 

Sir
You walk straight in 'target first' , protect your centerline (blade more).Another solution to walking right in to his attacks is to shut down his mobility with 'real' leg kicks. That 'flipper' style of leg kicking does nothing to further your cause (shutting him down ). Bunches of punches ;change angle elevation and essence constantly .This will keep your opponent off balance mentally and physically thus unable to get set .................. :D

Robb Buckland

Who's next......

Post subject: WHERE'S LARRY.....?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:59 pm 

Well here he is......

http://www.tandao.com/

Are you ready for the Year of the Tiger?

TanDao introduces the Tiger Combat Series for Evolving Martial Artists. Augment your power, skills and strategy, whatever your style or system with our Tiger Video & Ebook. Although they stand alone, the book and video complement each other.

Master Lawrence Tan reveals Tiger Claw techniques he developed during half a century immersed in the martial arts. The TanDao Tiger Combat Series is for intermediate and advanced martial artists.

THE VIDEO ~ TIGER CLAW

Feel the power with TanDao Tiger Combat. Combining Shaolin, JKD and Hung Gar to take your self defense skills and techniques to the next level. Develop your fierce tiger claw with special exercises, control blocks, and the TanDao core tiger fighting technique: “Hit-Grab-Rip” for modern application. Follow along as Master Tan shows you how to develop this rare hand weapon. If you are an Evolving Martial Artist, open to the martial way, this system will enhance your practice. (36 minutes)

THE EBOOK ~ TIGER COMBAT: TANDAO MARTIAL ARTS

Boost your style or system with three strategic principles for fighting efficiency. Shaolin, Hung Gar and Bruce Lee’s JKD form the basis of TanDao Tiger Combat. Learn the “closed door” techniques to develop your powerful tiger claw strikes and an updated action stance for practical self defense. Be an Evolving Martial Artist – enhance your skills and find the thread that ties all martial arts together. (75 pages with photos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:53 am 

Larry is a good man_ an excellent martial artist...and a very good friend. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:54 pm 

I'm trying to put somthing together with him in the 'man cave ' but he has 'adult supervision' that keeps him busy !!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:11 pm 

Self-Defense lessons learned from The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale, several techniques that were not allowed in MMA because, well, they work too well! One that works “too well” versus someone who covers up versus strikes when under a top mounted opponent.

If using a sport-type cover-up to protect against blows raining down from a mounted striker, where the goal is to use your elbows, forearms, and head movement to deflect, block, and evade the strikes raining down. The technique is effective, as such, until you introduce looping punches from the outside (like wide hooks), or, drive through with a blunt weapon, the deadly 12 to 6 (in the old days, a couple of days ago, I called it a downward elbow, but never let it be said that I can’t learn a new trick despite my old dog status!).

The RMA attacker may try the “illegal” method.... The problem for the bottom man is that all of the weight of the top man is driving down at the point of his elbow. There’s no way that he can prevent the elbow from driving through or between his guarding forearms.

The real lesson? Don’t get like this outside an Octogon :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:25 pm 

Robb
Quote:
I create a rigid tone , and angle in the post
to evoke an emotional or ANY response from anyone Ask a question, ...make a statement call me a name, smash your keyboard, do ANYTHING........ dont just read this and move on .

Robb,
Here is something from David Young’s own forum….
http://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.php?t=16635
Quote:
WHere are all of the people Van Says Disappeared?
I am sure they are just working on the words to express themselves in a positive manner...I mean this is what a forum is all about....

But the more you talk about something you will get one of 4 types of people....

Type 1 - I have been there, done that and got the t-shirt.....(the funny thing is it has been a LONG time since they tried that shirt on, and I BET it doesn't fit anymore).....(The Wanna Be!)

Type 2 - I know what your talking about because I have done it before...it may of may not have turned out the same way but hey nothing really does...(A true professional)

Type 3 - Hey I heard that if you did this then something like this would happen, I have personally never done it but I heard about it and I think with all of my years of doing something else...I think this would happen......(The person who loves to hear themselves talk!)

Type 4 - You know I have been practicing 20 years and never have heard of this, so I do not think that would ever happen and I do not believe you....(The legend in their own mind person)

Type 5 - What if you did this, What if you did that, What if the person did this, What is the person did that, What if this happened, What is this happened when you did this and then he did that...(The What If person)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 41  Next